Blues team culture

Like in game momentum, the 'identity' or culture of a team is one of those things some dismiss as unimportant. But of all the gripes I've had about this team over the last several years is the lack of a winning attitude, the team culture that says even when down, even if we lose, we know for a fact that we will come back.

Interesting comment by DP57 seems to confirm that, including how it's been here before when he played for the Blues:

"Rather than panic, David Perron suggested just having fun out there.

“I feel like we’re overthinking everything right now,” he said. “We have to get back to basics and not forget to have fun out there. For me, when I’ve moved around and changed teams, you see different mentalities and last year for me what I lived through basically with Vegas is we were still light and had fun at the rink but we still worked really hard. I feel like at times when it can get heavy and we’re starting to lose here, it’s a feeling that it’s sometimes we’ve had here before in previous times that I was here and it’s definitely something we’ve got to learn from. We still have to come to the rink, enjoy our time, smile and make sure that we still put in the work.”

Sorry cannot link from app, but it was stltoday.com article about Fabbri being sent Dow.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Re: Blues team culture

Interesting stuff... I think there is some legitimacy to what he is saying. It seems to be a trend with Yeo coached teams that when they are struggling, they have a tough time righting the ship. It happened in Minnesota, it happened last year, and it is happening now. The last two games have been promising, so we will see if they break out on this home stand.
Of course, the Blues culture goes beyond whoever the current coach is. It falls on the players as well. A 50+ year history of waiting for the wheels to fall off doesn't help either.
KA-KAW!

I don't know that the Blues have the guys in the room that will keep things light out there. In the past guys like Shatty, Ott, Lehtera (god help us) and Reaves seemed like they'd be able to be lighthearted and have fun even during slumps but who seems like that kind of guy now? Schenn, Steen, Tarasenko, Pietrangelo, O'Reilly all seem to be varying levels of grumpy to pouty when things aren't going well. Maybe Schwartz? He's apparently the funny guy on the team now. Aside from coaching and goaltending I honestly think the veteran leadership core could use a big shakeup here and I don't just mean dumping JayBo. Might be time to look at trading one of Petro or Tarasenko. JMO. Hopefully I'm wrong.

And this would be where having the kids loose and confident with more responsibility could be a good thing. Like back in 15-16 when we broke Eddy, Parayko, and Fabbri into the league. Yeo blows.

Tarasenko feels a lot like Halak to me. I don't think he's got many friends on the team outside the rink. Reaves and Shatty were his BFF's. Is it a coincidence that his play has leveled off since they've been gone? Where there's smoke there is fire and there were rumors of him and Schenn not getting along. I don't know man...it just seems like something isn't right. Why can other teams best players flip the switch and be difference makers but ours don't seem to be able to?
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:59 am Tarasenko feels a lot like Halak to me. I don't think he's got many friends on the team outside the rink. Reaves and Shatty were his BFF's. Is it a coincidence that his play has leveled off since they've been gone? Where there's smoke there is fire and there were rumors of him and Schenn not getting along. I don't know man...it just seems like something isn't right. Why can other teams best players flip the switch and be difference makers but ours don't seem to be able to?
I know him and Petro are pretty tight. I think with those two being the top dogs the team is going to reflect their personalities and I think we're seeing that. I think both are very good players but neither are untouchable at this point. I hope Schenn, O'Reilly, Schwartz, Dunn, Thomas is the core going forward.

ratonmono wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:12 am
NHLTIM wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:59 am Tarasenko feels a lot like Halak to me. I don't think he's got many friends on the team outside the rink. Reaves and Shatty were his BFF's. Is it a coincidence that his play has leveled off since they've been gone? Where there's smoke there is fire and there were rumors of him and Schenn not getting along. I don't know man...it just seems like something isn't right. Why can other teams best players flip the switch and be difference makers but ours don't seem to be able to?
I know him and Petro are pretty tight. I think with those two being the top dogs the team is going to reflect their personalities and I think we're seeing that. I think both are very good players but neither are untouchable at this point. I hope Schenn, O'Reilly, Schwartz, Dunn, Thomas is the core going forward.
That was part of the rumor last season...it was Vladi and Petro on one side and then everybody else on the other.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

The Blues aren't blowing every lead they get because they're sitting at different tables in the cafeteria. It'd be nice if they were all BFFs off the ice, but I don't really care if they don't get along as long as they're not sabotaging each other on the ice. There are plenty of reasons why the team isn't producing the results we'd all hope for, but I truly think it's not a culture or locker room at this point, its more of a coaching/execution issue. The Jets game is a good example. You have the coaching error of swapping Dunn and Bouwmeester on Petro's pairing in the third, and you have execution errors like Blais brainfarting and icing the puck when he was 3 feet from the red line leading to a Jets goal. A team might be able to cover for one or the other, but it's really hard when you have both. I still think this group can get back on track before it's too late, but they better do so soon.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

BluesSK wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:57 am
BillP. wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:54 am They need to just shut the fuck up and start winning games. It's hard to have fun if you don't win. No one is going to be smiling in that organization if they aren't winning.
Yep. That's pretty much it.
No one is saying to be happy about losing. But there's a difference in the way team's respond to adversity in game and after losses. And the culture of the team comes shows there.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

NHLTIM wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:35 pm
ratonmono wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:22 pm Oh and we still need a god damn goalie. Husso has looked like hot garbage this year.
Way to stick it to us Rat!!! :lol:
Yeah I'm in a foul mood lately and the Blues state sure isn't helping things. I'll be at the game tonight though so a big win and I'll be sunshine and whiskey err... rainbows tomorrow. Or something like that.

NHLTIM wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:14 am
That was part of the rumor last season...it was Vladi and Petro on one side and then everybody else on the other.
I thought it was Steen and Petro?
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

bradleygt89 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:46 am Like in game momentum, the 'identity' or culture of a team is one of those things some dismiss as unimportant. But of all the gripes I've had about this team over the last several years is the lack of a winning attitude, the team culture that says even when down, even if we lose, we know for a fact that we will come back.

Interesting comment by DP57 seems to confirm that, including how it's been here before when he played for the Blues:

"Rather than panic, David Perron suggested just having fun out there.

“I feel like we’re overthinking everything right now,” he said. “We have to get back to basics and not forget to have fun out there. For me, when I’ve moved around and changed teams, you see different mentalities and last year for me what I lived through basically with Vegas is we were still light and had fun at the rink but we still worked really hard. I feel like at times when it can get heavy and we’re starting to lose here, it’s a feeling that it’s sometimes we’ve had here before in previous times that I was here and it’s definitely something we’ve got to learn from. We still have to come to the rink, enjoy our time, smile and make sure that we still put in the work.”

Sorry cannot link from app, but it was stltoday.com article about Fabbri being sent Dow.
Seems like there are some people on the team who probably think getting all angry and acting all hard ass is the solution.

Ozzies09tc wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:02 am
NHLTIM wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:14 am

I thought it was Steen and Petro?
Yes...Steen and Petro on opposite sides. Vladi and Petro on the same side

"Suck a dick Johansen"

By the way, anyone looking for a boost from the kids in San Antonio might not like what's actually going on there. They are a very clean and tidy 1-7 right now. Bad OT/Shootout luck? Nope, all 7 losses have been in regulation. The leading scorer is something called "Brian Flynn" with 4 points. After scoring that amazing highlight real goal earlier this year, Kostin has produced literally nothing. That is his only point on the season. Walman has 2 assists and is -4. Despite being in St. Louis for the past week or so, Sanford is still tied for the Rampage lead in goals with 2.

It's an ugly start all across the organ-I-zation.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

A losing culture has consumed this team for years, and they can't seem to break the cycle. It's the opposite of what the Cardinals had for a good 15 years or so. Players come and go, coaches come and go, but the culture remains. It has a life of its own. It's like a black cloud that just looms. How many times have we witnessed players getting out from under it and thriving? Any attempt to fix the situation that doesn't involve some kind of culture shock is simply prolonging it. So when I hear Steen, Tarasenko, Perron and Petro talking about how they need to turn things around, I'm thinking yeah, let's just keep spinning those wheels. Any time I hear a player say "We just need to....." I want to finish his sentence with "blow the whole thing up and start over!" Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Enough is enough already.

insideout wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:40 pm A losing culture has consumed this team for years, and they can't seem to break the cycle. It's the opposite of what the Cardinals had for a good 15 years or so. Players come and go, coaches come and go, but the culture remains. It has a life of its own. It's like a black cloud that just looms. How many times have we witnessed players getting out from under it and thriving? Any attempt to fix the situation that doesn't involve some kind of culture shock is simply prolonging it. So when I hear Steen, Tarasenko, Perron and Petro talking about how they need to turn things around, I'm thinking yeah, let's just keep spinning those wheels. Any time I hear a player say "We just need to....." I want to finish his sentence with "blow the whole thing up and start over!" Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Enough is enough already.
I'm with you there, we're becoming a destination that top players will not want to play in (as the home player that is).

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:30 am By the way, anyone looking for a boost from the kids in San Antonio might not like what's actually going on there. They are a very clean and tidy 1-7 right now. Bad OT/Shootout luck? Nope, all 7 losses have been in regulation. The leading scorer is something called "Brian Flynn" with 4 points. After scoring that amazing highlight real goal earlier this year, Kostin has produced literally nothing. That is his only point on the season. Walman has 2 assists and is -4. Despite being in St. Louis for the past week or so, Sanford is still tied for the Rampage lead in goals with 2.

Yes. I've noticed this. I dont know what the hell is going on there but it's not good.

BluesSK wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:53 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:30 am By the way, anyone looking for a boost from the kids in San Antonio might not like what's actually going on there. They are a very clean and tidy 1-7 right now. Bad OT/Shootout luck? Nope, all 7 losses have been in regulation. The leading scorer is something called "Brian Flynn" with 4 points. After scoring that amazing highlight real goal earlier this year, Kostin has produced literally nothing. That is his only point on the season. Walman has 2 assists and is -4. Despite being in St. Louis for the past week or so, Sanford is still tied for the Rampage lead in goals with 2.

Yes. I've noticed this. I dont know what the hell is going on there but it's not good.
These Chimuelos jerseys are sweet!