Re: Question about next season...

Turk Sanderson wrote:Getting Harri on board is like a great free-agent signing. We pick up a good poster without having to give up anyone... Suck that P.D.!!!
Yeah, but we'll still have to pay The Capn's salary for the next 10 years. T.C. is the Doug Armstrong of hockey board owners.

JMC-STL wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote:Getting Harri on board is like a great free-agent signing. We pick up a good poster without having to give up anyone... Suck that P.D.!!!
Yeah, but we'll still have to pay The Capn's salary for the next 10 years. T.C. is the Doug Armstrong of hockey board owners.
Someday T.C. can make him a Vice President or something.

Rivermanfan wrote:At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, never stopped me before :D , what do FTP and GDT stand for. I have spent a good deal of time reading those threads, but never understood that the initials stood for.

Be gentle!!
FTP = Fook the police

GDT = Gotta Drink to watch this gull dern Team. Shortened for subject space limits
Just a Russian propaganda account

FTP = "From Their Perspective" basically rounding up comments from the previous night's opponents' fan boards after a Blues win. Sometimes also called "salt-mining."

GDT = "Game Day Thread" usually a thread started on our board on game days with links to previews, articles, NHL.COM rundowns, and sometimes personal analysis, and which, as the day goes on and during the game, we post our comments in.

Haven’t read all the posts in this thread, but would love to see a FTP thread after every win again!
Also, an idea I had would be to do a FTP thread for every time we lose. Instead of reading posts from the opponents team, we read the posts from the STLtoday forums. Something to look forward to even after a tough loss would be kind of funny, haha.

Schwartz17 wrote:Haven’t read all the posts in this thread, but would love to see a FTP thread after every win again!
Also, an idea I had would be to do a FTP thread for every time we lose. Instead of reading posts from the opponents team, we read the posts from the STLtoday forums. Something to look forward to even after a tough loss would be kind of funny, haha.
Oh, that sounds like fun!

Schwartz17 wrote:Haven’t read all the posts in this thread, but would love to see a FTP thread after every win again!
How can I put this politely? ... Fuck those STLtoday forums. Leave that trash over there.

barnburner wrote:
Harri McBain wrote:
barnburner wrote:Harri, are you anywhere near Oberwald?
Well, not really. It would take 2 to 3 hours to get me there driving by car.
Have you been there before?

BTW Oberwald is in the Canton of Valais. Nico Hischier comes from that Canton.
It was back in the 80s. My son was stationed in Germany, so we flew over, and he took leave. We toured Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. Went down route 19, over the Furka Pass, and spent the night in the Furka Hotel in Oberwald. From the outside it didnt look like much, but wow. It was wonderful! Real feather mattresses in all the rooms, Authentic Knotty Pine walls, and the food in their restaurant was great!
We ordered a Bananna splits for desert. We each got what I'd call a turkey platter, filled with banannas, ice cream ,etc., AND...... topped off with piles and piles of real, authentic Swiss chocolate! Never, ever, have I tasted anything that wonderful again!
That sounds great!
What was your main course that evening? We have some very famous and good food in Switzerland like Fondue, Capuns or Raclette.

How was the communication with the people there? They have kind of a strange dialect in the German spoken part of the Canton of Valais. Even I have usually to listen carefully to understand what they say :D
But if they talk in English, it isn't probably not a big problem.

Turk Sanderson wrote:
JMC-STL wrote:
he's the secretary of entertainment.

Harri McBain wrote:
That sounds great!
What was your main course that evening? We have some very famous and good food in Switzerland like Fondue, Capuns or Raclette.

How was the communication with the people there? They have kind of a strange dialect in the German spoken part of the Canton of Valais. Even I have usually to listen carefully to understand what they say :D
As best I recall German seemed to be the language of choice going down route 19. Although in shops, gas stations, hotel, etc., I'd guess better than half also spoke English. My son had picked up German pretty well while stationed in Germany, so we had no problems.
Honestly, I can't recall what we had for dinner in the Hotel Furka. That huge bananna split pretty much overshadowed it. LOL.
But the overwhelming memory of Switzerland for me, was the hospitality and eagnerness to help, we encountered everywhere.
When we went down to the dining room, there was music native to the area playing. As an a man I assumed to be a waiter passed our table, (I later learned he was the owner), he apparently overheard us talking in English. Perhaps 30 seconds after he went inside, suddenly American music started playing through the speakers. He never said a word about it, but it was an obvious move made to make us feel welcome.

I love mountain country, and have spent a lot of time in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, and the Wind River range in Wyoming, but when I first caught sight of the Swiss Alps, I just babbled! Absolutely breathtaking.

Oh, one other thing I'll never forget. When we stopped at the Hotel Furka to see if they had any rooms, praying they did, because I was exhausted, the lady behind the desk assured me they did. When I said, "We'll take them," she insisted that she take us upstairs and personally show us the rooms. Then, when I asked if we should go back down and register and pay? She answered, "No, No. You can do that when you leave in the morning." Also, they had a huge built in refrigerator downstairs filled with beer, wine, sodas, food, snacks, etc. She explained that if we wanted anything during the night, we should just take what we wanted, then right it down on the tablet and pencil hanging on the outside of the refrigerator!
A hotel run on the honor system! A country where that's possible, is indeed a special place.

I doubt there will be any loses. 82-0!
Just a Russian propaganda account

T.C. wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote:
JMC-STL wrote: Yeah, but we'll still have to pay The Capn's salary for the next 10 years. T.C. is the Doug Armstrong of hockey board owners.
he's the secretary of entertainment.
The Cap'n ain't got the legs to make a proper secretary.

barnburner wrote:
Harri McBain wrote:
That sounds great!

As best I recall German seemed to be the language of choice going down route 19. Although in shops, gas stations, hotel, etc., I'd guess better than half also spoke English. My son had picked up German pretty well while stationed in Germany, so we had no problems.
Honestly, I can't recall what we had for dinner in the Hotel Furka. That huge bananna split pretty much overshadowed it. LOL.
But the overwhelming memory of Switzerland for me, was the hospitality and eagnerness to help, we encountered everywhere.
When we went down to the dining room, there was music native to the area playing. As an a man I assumed to be a waiter passed our table, (I later learned he was the owner), he apparently overheard us talking in English. Perhaps 30 seconds after he went inside, suddenly American music started playing through the speakers. He never said a word about it, but it was an obvious move made to make us feel welcome.

I love mountain country, and have spent a lot of time in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, and the Wind River range in Wyoming, but when I first caught sight of the Swiss Alps, I just babbled! Absolutely breathtaking.

Oh, one other thing I'll never forget. When we stopped at the Hotel Furka to see if they had any rooms, praying they did, because I was exhausted, the lady behind the desk assured me they did. When I said, "We'll take them," she insisted that she take us upstairs and personally show us the rooms. Then, when I asked if we should go back down and register and pay? She answered, "No, No. You can do that when you leave in the morning." Also, they had a huge built in refrigerator downstairs filled with beer, wine, sodas, food, snacks, etc. She explained that if we wanted anything during the night, we should just take what we wanted, then right it down on the tablet and pencil hanging on the outside of the refrigerator!
A hotel run on the honor system! A country where that's possible, is indeed a special place.
That was really a great experience you had back then in Oberwald!
Thank you for sharing your impressions.

I hope most of the tourists who were guests in our country have the same good memories and feelings about their travel.

blue to the bone wrote:Welcome Harri! Glad you could join.
Not sure if T.C. mentioned it to you yet but one requirement to be able to post on this board is attending our annual BNF Blues game where we get a suite and deal with each other's crap 1 night a year in person.
Ok it's not a requirement but it is a blast.
That sounds good to me!

But don’t count on me, that I’m going to participate for sure. Since St. Louis is not an “around the corner” travel for me, all necessary circumstances for such a trip to St. Louis have to be right (e. g. enough vacation days from work left).

Harri McBain wrote:
Not sure if T.C. mentioned it to you yet but one requirement to be able to post on this board is attending our annual BNF Blues game where we get a suite and deal with each other's crap 1 night a year in person.
That sounds good to me!

But don’t count on me, that I’m going to participate for sure. Since St. Louis is not an “around the corner” travel for me, all necessary circumstances for such a trip to St. Louis have to be right (e. g. enough vacation days from work left).
What if T.C. schedules BNF Suite Night 3.0 for Game 7 of the 2019 Stanley Cup Finals @ Enterprise Center - think you could save a few vacation days for that? :shock:

JMC-STL wrote:
Harri McBain wrote:
That sounds good to me!

What if T.C. schedules BNF Suite Night 3.0 for Game 7 of the 2019 Stanley Cup Finals @ Enterprise Center - think you could save a few vacation days for that? :shock:

Well, yes, i assume that should be possible :) ;)

barcthespark wrote:Or we could go to Harri and have the BNF Suite Night in Switzerland! Either at a local game or watching a Blues game from a pub. :D
I'm not sure, if you really want to see an NLA game ;) :D
Well, the NLA has no commercial breaks and the tickets are not as expensive as NHL tickets, but the skill level of the players and the whole game is definitely not as high as in the NHL.