Re: Nick Boynton

Yep. It's sad to read. I can relate to what he is going through. I went through undiagnosed depression for years.

You know what is interesting. He talks about the League getting him help but teams quitting on him. He talks about individual players trying to help him but through the whole article we don't hear a peep about the NHLPA.

We were just discussing this a week or so ago. When is the player's association going to stand up and demand changes and improvements?

It would be great if junior and minor league teams would bring him in to talk to their players, to get this stuff out in the open so they can think about it before it's too late for them. As much as I love hockey, the game isn't worth destroying lives.

All too familiar. Just heartbreaking. I can relate to his depression, anxiety, and substance issues. I can't imagine throwing serious head trauma on top of all of that. I wouldn't be here for sure if I had to deal with everything he has. Thankfully he seems to be doing better recently.

I think it is great that we are finally able to have discussions like this about our athletes. They are human people and go through all the same struggles as everyone else. The fact that you are rich and famous does not help mental illness, in fact it can often make it more difficult as you have a public persona that you have to keep up. Just look at the recent suicides of Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain. To the outside observer, they had it all, but obviously they were in great mental pain.

The more people open up about this stuff instead of being embarrassed about it the better.

Thanks for posting the link.

BluesSK wrote:
Yep. It's sad to read. I can relate to what he is going through. I went through undiagnosed depression for years.

You know what is interesting. He talks about the League getting him help but teams quitting on him. He talks about individual players trying to help him but through the whole article we don't hear a peep about the NHLPA.

We were just discussing this a week or so ago. When is the player's association going to stand up and demand changes and improvements?
Makes me wonder just how much under the table collusion is going on between the league and the players association.