Re: Blues Goalies 18-19

wannabebluesplayer wrote:Trade Allen and re-sign Hutton. Husso and Hutton split starts

or

Keep Allen, don't re-sign Hutton, and Husso and Allen split starts
I think the 1A-1B tandem has messed with Jakes head. I think he needs a new team or its him and Husso. Jake gets 65 ish starts. Make it well known Jake is the starter, Husso is the backup.

39hurricane wrote:
wannabebluesplayer wrote:Trade Allen and re-sign Hutton. Husso and Hutton split starts

or

I think the 1A-1B tandem has messed with Jakes head. I think he needs a new team or its him and Husso. Jake gets 65 ish starts. Make it well known Jake is the starter, Husso is the backup.
It was known Jake was the starter when Hutton was brought in, that was a big reason for Elliott to leave. All it did was kick the can further down the road. No sense in trying that again and wasting another year of "letting Jake know he's the starter". This is the NHL frickin L.
Just a Russian propaganda account

39hurricane wrote:

or

It wasn't a 1A-1B situation until Jake started playing like a 3. Time to move on. I don't know what the rest of the goalie market will look like, but Jake isn't the answer.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Bring Brodeur back from whichever dark corner of Scottrade he receded to last spring, and put him in the net. I suspect Marty's the one who made the hard sell to sign Allen to that rich contract extension, so he deserves to spend some time paying for his sins.

Who is going to take Allen and his salary right now? Three more years at $4.35M

Do the Blues eat it? Do they sign Hutton for 3 to 4M? His price has gone up considerably.

Husso will probably be the man soon. Time to let him be the backup. Binnington still has a shot and Fitzpatrick has played well in juniors.

ratonmono wrote:I've backed Allen as far as I possibly could. He needs to go. Needs a change of scenery in the worst way. Re-sign Hutton and have him and Husso split time. I think Husso is ready.
Yeah, he's s good goalie, but for some reason he just feels too much pressure here. Maybe he'll be a great starter or backup somewhere else, but I'd love for us to move on.

I do like Tim's idea of Kincaid from NJ, but will the Devils hold on to him?

Regardless, Husso needs to be up with Blues next year, with Binnington, Fitzpatrick, and Opilka(sp?) fighting it out in San Antonio/ECHL
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Turk Sanderson wrote:
Oates2Hullie450 wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote:Send Jake to Cal-Gary so he can be with his buddy. Hutton/Husso next season.
You know Ells has been with Philly this whole season, right?
Wrong buddy...I was referring to the ass-hat over at the asylum.
Ummmm, that doesn't narrow things down very much, you know...

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Any interest in Carey Price if Montreal it's a couple million a year on his deal?
That’s still 8.5M plus whatever it takes to acquire him...I’d pass. Unless it’s something crazy like, Allen for him straight up. Which obviously would never happen

39hurricane wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Any interest in Carey Price if Montreal it's a couple million a year on his deal?
Nope...he can't seem to stay healthy anymore.
Price hasn't been healthy for a few years.
37-20-5 2.23 .923 in 16-17. 3rd in Vezina

Armstrong ..... I thought.... traded Stastny because they had given up on the season. If they had given up on the season, they should have taken a look at Husso. If they hadn't given up on the season, why dump Stastny? It would have been nice to get a better look at what they have in Husso.

If they want to move Allen, they'll probably have to eat some salary. I think they should. Same with Bouwmeester.... and Steen, for that matter. Maybe they can trade away everything for draft picks and reach the salary floor by continuing to pay the players they shipped out.....

I digress. They need a stroke of good luck to fix the goalie situation. There would be no point bringing on an established player (Lunqvist? Price?) because doing so would tie up enough salary to prevent getting the help they desperately need up front. Other than Husso or someone else stepping in and far exceeding everyone's expectations, the goalie problem has no solution.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
39hurricane wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote: Nope...he can't seem to stay healthy anymore.
I hope you are trying to be funny.

How did he do this year? 15-16? 13-14? 12-13?

Except for 2 of the last 8 years Price has been pretty meh.

39hurricane wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
39hurricane wrote:
I hope you are trying to be funny.

How did he do this year? 15-16? 13-14? 12-13?

Except for 2 of the last 8 years Price has been pretty meh.
How was I trying to be funny? You said he hasn't been healthy in a "few years"..One season ago he was 3rd in Vezina. Two seasons prior to that he won the MVP. Kind of throws your statement right out of the window that he's finished top 3 in the Vezina in 2 of the previous 4 seasons and top 4 3 of the past 5 years.

39hurricane wrote:

or

It seems to me like Allen played his best hockey in a 1A/1B situation with Elliot. When one of them was injured or playing poorly the other one stepped in. Allen just doesn't seem like he can take the pressure of being the number one guy. It seems that we are probably stuck with him though, so I think we should go with whoever is playing the best hockey. Ideally I think that should be Hutton, but as mentioned, he may cost more than we are willing to pay. I think it would be best for Husso to spend another year in the minors and be available for call-up in the likely event of an injury.

As far as "eating salary" on any of our players goes, I think it is a bad idea. My understanding is that retained salary still counts towards your cap number and I don't thing any of the guys that have been mentioned are worth paying to get them off of our team. All of those dollars retained can not be put toward the FA signings that we want to make to improve our team. I really don't see that we have any totally egregious contracts on our books. There are a number of guys that aren't playing up to their numbers, but I don't think this season is the one to try to eliminate them.

Re-sign Hutton and get rid of Allen at any cost. If Husso is ready to be a backup fine, if not then sign someone to either spit time with Hutton or back him up.

Allen has to go. Period. If Allen is the starting goalie in October I don't think I can invest my time into this team for the season.

barcthespark wrote:Re-sign Hutton and get rid of Allen at any cost. If Husso is ready to be a backup fine, if not then sign someone to either spit time with Hutton or back him up.

Allen has to go. Period. If Allen is the starting goalie in October I don't think I can invest my time into this team for the season.
100% agree. There is no justifiable reason to bring Allen back as any sort of "answer" to the goaltending situation. The only reason for Allen to be back next season is because you got stuck with him and his contract.

Some of you want a 1a/1b. Others want Allen to know he is the man. Both have been tried, both have failed. Neither is correct.

Mental weakness is not a trait of Stanley Cup winning goalies.