Re: magic number

rcbcmr wrote:Need 5 points for playoffs

16 points for #1 wc/division

So we control our own fate with 8 to play
I take it w/o looking that we'll need some help to get to the President's Cup? Not that it should be their goal, WC #1 more important to me, just curious.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote:
rcbcmr wrote:Need 5 points for playoffs

16 points for #1 wc/division

So we control our own fate with 8 to play
I take it w/o looking that we'll need some help to get to the President's Cup? Not that it should be their goal, WC #1 more important to me, just curious.
Hitch has publicly stated that winning the Pres Cup is one of the team's goals.

And, yes, the Blues will need some help.

The Habs are sitting on 100 pts after 74 games. The Bolts and Blues each have 99 pts after 74 games played. The Rangers have 99 pts with 2 games in hand. The Ducks have 99 pts, but have played 75 games.

It's going to be a tight race for the award.

If the Rangers win the rest of their games they will end the season with 119 points. The best the Blues can do is 115 so the Rangers control their destiny.

The rangers magic number for Pres. cup is 16. We can catch them but the odds are slim.

IMO we get our 5 points to make the Playoffs roll the dice on position and go in healthy and rested. That is the best way to go deep. The easiest way would go in as a wild card and hope we play the west div. The central is going to be a bitch.

Full agreement with rcbcmr here. Lock a spot, and then worry about being as healthy as possible, rather than worrying about who plays who. Sure, there might be some matchups that are relatively easier than others, but unless the Blues can magically join the East before the end of the season, it's going to be a dogfight pretty much no matter who they get.

Am I the only one that despises this new format? If it ended today we would get the honor of a grueling series with the Jets, whereas with the old format we'd likely knock out Calgary in 5.

The Central is just brutally tough and just like last year you're going to see one of the top teams in the conference not advance because of this retarded format. There is no way having one of the Blues, Preds or Hawks being eliminated in round 1 is good for the game. Just no way. You want these teams meeting in Conference Finals, not knocking each other out in round 1.

/rant. I'm sure there's a thread about this somewhere. Just reading about magic numbers and looking at potential scenarios got me going.

Agree but look at it this way if we drop to a wild card and face the ducks in the first round. we wouldn't face Preds/Squaks untill the finals. Might even catch the wild there. At this point I don't know playing the wild would be a dream matchup.

Man in the box wrote:Am I the only one that despises this new format? If it ended today we would get the honor of a grueling series with the Jets, whereas with the old format we'd likely knock out Calgary in 5.

The Central is just brutally tough and just like last year you're going to see one of the top teams in the conference not advance because of this retarded format. There is no way having one of the Blues, Preds or Hawks being eliminated in round 1 is good for the game. Just no way. You want these teams meeting in Conference Finals, not knocking each other out in round 1.

/rant. I'm sure there's a thread about this somewhere. Just reading about magic numbers and looking at potential scenarios got me going.
If you wanna go back to the old way...here's my suggestion.

1) Abolish conferences and divisions.

2) Play a balanced schedule.

3) Make a top to bottom bracket that doesn't change every round.

Otherwise...stick with the Divisional Playoffs....it's also worth nothing I grew up with Divisional Playoffs and it's what I prefer.

Battra wrote:
Man in the box wrote:Am I the only one that despises this new format? If it ended today we would get the honor of a grueling series with the Jets, whereas with the old format we'd likely knock out Calgary in 5.

If you wanna go back to the old way...here's my suggestion.

1) Abolish conferences and divisions.

2) Play a balanced schedule.

3) Make a top to bottom bracket that doesn't change every round.

Otherwise...stick with the Divisional Playoffs....it's also worth nothing I grew up with Divisional Playoffs and it's what I prefer.
I like the top to bottom bracket that doesn't change every round but I think I'd like to see that between two conferences.