Re: The Deadline thread

storey13 wrote:Well, according to cap friendly, we have 6.1 million in cap space now. If we can lose Lethera in the expansion draft, and Yaks goes to Russia next season, we could seriously afford someone special. Of course, there has to be someone special to sign, and we've got to get a bridge deal for Parayko, but still, we are going to have some decent amount of money to sign UFA's for next season.

I am not happy at all with the return we got for Shatty, and I wonder if Army would of waited a day or two longer, closer to the deadline, if the Pens or Caps would of been willing to give a little more. Army had walk away power in the negotiations. It works for me every time I buy a car. It just seems like the return we got is pretty poor for two teams bidding for Shatty.
Shattenkirk?
Just a Russian propaganda account

Oates2Hullie450 wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Carcus wrote:Why should Copely return more?

Goalies don't get much in return, that is just a fact. Bishop and Elliott got us second round picks. That was a good return for both.

Copely hasn't proven anything close to those two, and we were about to lose him as an UFA (VI) at the end of the year, so he is also a rental AHL goalie.
I don't think it's so much as the return for Copley as it is he was supposed to be the future asset in the Oshie trade to go along with the rental of Brouwer and now there's nothing to show for TJ Oshie.
Remember game seven of round one last year? I have to agree with whoever brought it up earlier (think it was Bradley) that it seems like we're always looking to the future here and what can get us to the cup we've chased for half a century. You have to appreciate what players who've come and gone have done for us though, even if it hasn't gotten us as far as we've wanted.
Not retaining Brouwer was a huge failure for Armstrong. Armstrong really needed to push to re-sign Brouwer before the end of last season but instead kept dicking around with Backes who he knew was going to cost too much. Who knows if anybody knew that Brouwer had no intention on staying.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Army is basically saying there wasn't much interest in Shattenkirk. More so than was at the draft last year, but less than he expected.

Teams played him. He made it public he was going to trade him, they waited him out.
Man, I find that so hard to believe. If you are a team with a reasonable chance to win the Cup, like Washington, adding Shattenkirk is a huge boost to their chances. Given how hard it is to have a really good shot at winning, I would think any legit contender would have been all over Shattenkirk as a rental. Washington may very well lose in Round 1, but the price they paid to add one of the best offensive defensemen in the league was pretty modest.

Army talking about the size of Sanford and Thompson together. I guess we are shifting back to being a "heavy" team....at least for another year, then we will shift back to wanting to be a fast team....at least for another year, then we will shift back to wanting to be a heavy team.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:According to Army, the Blues are a Kane and Toews or a Crosby and Malkin away from being great.
Oh good. Cause, you know, two players of that magnitude are so easy to come by.

But hey, at least he's being realistic now.
I think Berglund will fill the Malkin role.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Army talking about the size of Sanford and Thompson together. I guess we are shifting back to being a "heavy" team....at least for another year, then we will shift back to wanting to be a fast team....at least for another year, then we will shift back to wanting to be a heavy team.
So the Blues are the Oprah Winfrey of hockey?
200901_omag_cover_220[1].jpg 200901_omag_cover_220[1].jpg Viewed 10076 times 69.45 KiB

Matangama wrote:
Dave's a mess wrote:
Matangama wrote:
The only problem is that he said EXACTLY the same thing about Copley in the Oshie trade. So I'm sorry to say, but Dougie is a fucking liar. Time to turn the GM office keys over to someone else.
Well the Caps GM was the one that said it about Sanford. It could very well be true, but that doesn't mean he's a great prospect. Just like it could have been true about Copley. Armstrong making a bad trade doesn't mean he's lying.

Yeah, "liar" is a bad choice of words. I'm just down on Dougie right now. Give me time, I'll get over it!

As far as Sanford is concerned, Hockey Pete over at the asylum just posted some good comments from a friend that were pretty encouraging. Pete was a former scout or knows a lot of scouts......don't remember exactly, but usually has some very good information to share.
Good to hear. BTW, good to see you over here again Matangama, or maybe you have been, and I haven't... :)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

UMSLBlues12 wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:According to Army, the Blues are a Kane and Toews or a Crosby and Malkin away from being great.
Oh good. Cause, you know, two players of that magnitude are so easy to come by.

But hey, at least he's being realistic now.
One of them was...but the Blues drafted a big piece of shit instead.

JMC-STL wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Army talking about the size of Sanford and Thompson together. I guess we are shifting back to being a "heavy" team....at least for another year, then we will shift back to wanting to be a fast team....at least for another year, then we will shift back to wanting to be a heavy team.
So the Blues are the Oprah Winfrey of hockey?
200901_omag_cover_220[1].jpg
:lol:
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote:
Matangama wrote: Yeah, "liar" is a bad choice of words. I'm just down on Dougie right now. Give me time, I'll get over it!

As far as Sanford is concerned, Hockey Pete over at the asylum just posted some good comments from a friend that were pretty encouraging. Pete was a former scout or knows a lot of scouts......don't remember exactly, but usually has some very good information to share.
Good to hear. BTW, good to see you over here again Matangama, or maybe you have been, and I haven't... :)
Thanks bradley.....I like this forum a lot, but there wasn't much activity when I first came over, so I drifted back to the other site ("Frank Underwood" over there now after the mass banning of a couple of years ago). But the activity seems like it has been picking up here, so I'm going to try and spend more time here. Sure, I'll miss the idiot twins over there, but I'll survive.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie
DET/NYR working to finalize trade for Brendan Smith. Not officially done yet but hearing pair of picks, incl 2nd rder, would be included.
Rangers acquire defensman afterall! 3rd this year and 2nd next year I believe.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie
DET/NYR working to finalize trade for Brendan Smith. Not officially done yet but hearing pair of picks, incl 2nd rder, would be included.
Rangers acquire defensman afterall! 3rd this year and 2nd next year I believe.
@TSNBobMcKenzie 35m35 minutes ago Hootlet
More
Pending a trade call (not official until then), DET will get 2nd rder and 3rd rder, both in 2017, from NYR for Brendan Smith.
"Do Only Good Everyday"