Re: Blue Jackets calling on Shattenkirk

MissouriMook wrote:
Hockey Pete wrote:In conclusion, if we see a repeat of last season (Kevin continues his high pace and Alex puts in another decent season), I would be completely against trading Shattenkirk over Petranglo, unless of course the contract situation becomes untenable. However, if Alex takes his game to the next level, and given his firm contract status, I'd be all in on moving Kevin for solid pieces to our Stanley Cup puzzle.
I think the organization (and us as fans) needs to allow for a third option and that is the viability of playing both of them together on the top pairing and moving on from Bouwmeester. We should not be keeping Bouwmeester at the expense of one of the other two just because he is a lefty.
I'm hoping Jay bounces back, as he's arguably the best skater on the team when healthy. Not sure what happened last season (probably injury), but IMO he was our best defender in the 13-14 season. If he returns to form, he's a steal at his salary, if not, then I agree that he'll be a liability in that #2 slot.

Hockey Pete wrote:
MissouriMook wrote:
Hockey Pete wrote:In conclusion, if we see a repeat of last season (Kevin continues his high pace and Alex puts in another decent season), I would be completely against trading Shattenkirk over Petranglo, unless of course the contract situation becomes untenable. However, if Alex takes his game to the next level, and given his firm contract status, I'd be all in on moving Kevin for solid pieces to our Stanley Cup puzzle.
I think the organization (and us as fans) needs to allow for a third option and that is the viability of playing both of them together on the top pairing and moving on from Bouwmeester. We should not be keeping Bouwmeester at the expense of one of the other two just because he is a lefty.
I'm hoping Jay bounces back, as he's arguably the best skater on the team when healthy. Not sure what happened last season (probably injury), but IMO he was our best defender in the 13-14 season. If he returns to form, he's a steal at his salary, if not, then I agree that he'll be a liability in that #2 slot.
I think it is more than likely that he returns to form. He had a lingering groin injury from early on in the season that never seemed to get back to normal. I kind of feel bad for him because a lot fans are down on him, but I give him some credit for not complaining and trying to grind through it.

A groin injury is pretty much going to take all your explosiveness away. :lol:

Seriously though that injury can take forever to heal, and it can highly degrade your skating ability because that muscle is a big part of the skating motion. I think it is more likely the drop in production is injury related more so than anything.

Man in the box wrote:
HockeyFan85 wrote:
Man in the box wrote: I look at it like this. The knock on Petro (and I believe Army put this on himself) was he didn't have that partner. He was too young to carry the load alone, so they went and got Jaybo. I still think that's the case. Petro doesn't elevate his partner, he's dependent on him. Shatty on the other hand seems to handle his business no matter who he plays with, and in fact makes his partner better. That's the kind of player you keep.

I hope Petro develops into that guy, but thus far he looks like the guy that needs a dance partner. Shatty looks like the guy you can put with just about anyone and he'll be fine. I think you lock him up now even if it means you get a box of donuts for Jaybo and eat some of that contract. That our you listen to offers on Petro. You absolutely don't trade Shattenkirk unless the return is too good to be true. I like our top two pairings containing Petro and Shatty more than I like our top pair being Petro and Jaybo.
Disagree. Petro has played with scrubs and looked amazing doing so. Personally, I thought Petro looked best when he was paired with Colaiacovo.
Hey. Coli is no scrub sir.
carlo-colaiacovo-o.gif
I also thought that last season Petro played his best hockey with Gunnar.

Its weird, but I think he might has a bit of a confidence issue playing with another big name. He tries not to do too much and defers to the other guy too often. When he's playing with Cola, Gunnar, someone he knows he's better than, it seems like he has more of that "me" attitude which I think you want your top defender to have (and I think is what we all saw develop with Shatty last season), and he just plays and you can really see his skills. Subban has that attitude (sometimes to his detriment), Doughty has that attitude...I think Petro more of it. JMO.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: I also thought that last season Petro played his best hockey with Gunnar.

Its weird, but I think he might has a bit of a confidence issue playing with another big name. He tries not to do too much and defers to the other guy too often. When he's playing with Cola, Gunnar, someone he knows he's better than, it seems like he has more of that "me" attitude which I think you want your top defender to have (and I think is what we all saw develop with Shatty last season), and he just plays and you can really see his skills. Subban has that attitude (sometimes to his detriment), Doughty has that attitude...I think Petro more of it. JMO.
Yep, I agree 100%

Does anyone know if at any point the Blues tried to split up their top 3 D men? Somewhat unconventional, but I do wonder how it would work out.