Re: News and Games around the NHL

Ozzies09tc wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:38 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:13 pm Second year in a row he's miraculously returned from LTIR a week before the playoffs. Nothing to see here, no cap collusion. Gary's favorite son.

Doesnt that put them over the cap??

Nevermind

https://thehockeynews.com/news/where-ha ... f-playoffs
It's just so blatant salary cap manipulation too. I guess the league won't do anything about it til someone like the Blues do it cause they sure as hell could've just said Scandella's hip isn't recovered and left him on there.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:51 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:38 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:13 pm Second year in a row he's miraculously returned from LTIR a week before the playoffs. Nothing to see here, no cap collusion. Gary's favorite son.

Doesnt that put them over the cap??

Nevermind

https://thehockeynews.com/news/where-ha ... f-playoffs
It's just so blatant salary cap manipulation too. I guess the league won't do anything about it til someone like the Blues do it cause they sure as hell could've just said Scandella's hip isn't recovered and left him on there.
I really hate that franchise.

Ozzies09tc wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:53 pm A good anti-gary bettman read

https://montrealgazette.com/opinion/col ... dian-teams
There's a lot you can blame Bettman for but that editorial is just sour grapes about Salt Lake City getting an NHL team before Quebec City.

Right now Salt Lake City makes sense. There is no Conference realignment and the scheduling will be pretty easy to accommodate.

His declaration that Salt Lake City only has 208K population and can't support an NHL team is laughable.

BluesSK wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:59 pm

There's a lot you can blame Bettman for but that editorial is just sour grapes about Salt Lake City getting an NHL team before Quebec City.

Right now Salt Lake City makes sense. There is no Conference realignment and the scheduling will be pretty easy to accommodate.

His declaration that Salt Lake City only has 208K population and can't support an NHL team is laughable.
Well there should be realignment anyway. There is no reason Colorado and Arizona/SLC should be in a division with St Louis, Nashville, Chicago. Go to eight 4 team divisions instead of four 8 team divisions. Winner of each division makes the playoffs while the next 4 best teams make up the rest of the playoff teams in each conference.

Blues, Hawks, Preds, and Redwings ideally but that would never happen so I'd settle for the Wild.

But I guess thats a different discussion.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:08 pm

Well there should be realignment anyway. There is no reason Colorado and Arizona/SLC should be in a division with St Louis, Nashville, Chicago. Go to eight 4 team divisions instead of four 8 team divisions. Winner of each division makes the playoffs while the next 4 best teams make up the rest of the playoff teams in each conference.

Blues, Hawks, Preds, and Redwings ideally but that would never happen so I'd settle for the Wild.

Yes. Ive been in favor of eight four team divisions ever since the NHL went to 32 teams.

The problem with that is they are going to add two more teams in the next few seasons and there is talk of expanding to 36 teams by 2030.

The owners are drunk on those Expansion fees and why wouldn't they be.

BluesSK wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:30 pm

Yes. Ive been in favor of eight four team divisions ever since the NHL went to 32 teams.

The problem with that is they are going to add two more teams in the next few seasons and there is talk of expanding to 36 teams by 2030.

I guess 6x6 would work too. I just do not like the current set up at all.

Why make a product that makes money via competition, when you can flood the market with teams, diluting the talent pool, and have s bunch of "blah" players, so the next McJesus can make gretzky look like an ahl player...
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:58 pm

Why make a product that makes money via competition, when you can flood the market with teams, diluting the talent pool, and have s bunch of "blah" players, so the next McJesus can make gretzky look like an ahl player...
It's a lot of money paid out to each existing team. Each expansion fee will be well over a billion.

BluesSK wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:27 pm

It's a lot of money paid out to each existing team. Each expansion fee will be well over a billion.
Exactly. They don't care about the product on the ice, they only care about their pockets
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

I feel like it should be pointed out that the NHL added 6 teams during Gretzky's career. Every time any league expands there are cries of talent dilution. I'm not saying they're right or wrong, but there are more kids playing every year and more and more elite programs at every level across the globe. It's a lot different situation than the league going from 6 to 18 teams in less than 10 years.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

As dull as the West Wild Card race has been (credit to our boys for dragging it out longer than expected), the race for the final spot in the East is pretty great. The Caps currently hold the final spot, but are tied at 87 points with Detroit and Philly. The Penguins are still alive at 86 points. Each team has 2 games left besides the Flyers, who only have one. The Flyers and Capitals play each other tomorrow in what may end up deciding the whole thing.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:27 am

Those poor bastards think they're turning the corner every year and it just never happens.
Tage Thompson going from 94 to 56 points certainly won't help them get around that corner.

I admittedly don't watch a lot of their games but I am stumped on that that team is missing. Good young scorers, great defensive players, I expected to to be goaltending but their top guy didn't have a bad season.