Re: Blues 2023-2024 season thread

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:09 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:57 am Maybe this means it'll be a busy deadline day?
Lets hope! The day has lost it's luster in previous years. Its mostly just been rehashing the trades that already happened.
Yeah, IIRC, the last couple of years, media outlets planned big, blowout, 'trade deadline' shows on Friday, only for almost all of the major trades to drop in the days or week before, with not much left to do but review what had already gone down.

The fancy stats have not been kind to Parayko since he got hurt a few years ago. I just read this snippet from Dom at the Athletic (one of the biggest fancy stat boys) regarding how/why that's been the case, particularly since he's been good by the eye test at least this season and parts of last:
Blues fans see a still solid top-pair defenseman hamstrung by his surroundings, one who can defend well and move the puck. And they’re right about some of those things. Models see a player in over his head who doesn’t offer much offense and has been crushed by his surroundings, enough to be skeptical about just how good he really is.

A decent defenseman in a difficult situation with little support on a bad team? Those are always the trickiest players to analyze. When enough fans look at the numbers and tell you “This is wrong, this guy is still legit,” it’s enough to give pause and dig deeper.

I’m still in the process of working out better quality of teammate and competition adjustments for situations like this which will hopefully be ready before the playoffs. Early indications suggest those adjustments should make Parayko look a fair bit better. Offensively he still looks like a drag, but defensively he’s 22nd in competition difficulty and 12th in teammate quality. That’s an onerous situation, so the fact he even carries an average Defensive Rating is pretty impressive. His defensive burden is the fifth hardest in the league.

Parayko’s contract is still dicey — he’s 31 and has six years after this one at $6.5 million per — and acquiring him is risky given his recent results. But in the right situation with the right fit, he looks like someone who can thrive as a potential No. 2.
TLDR- He's not good offensively, but definitely still good defensively but not getting any help on that end.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

JMC-STL wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:56 pm Time for a complete roster swap with Springfield. Including mascots. Louie hasn't been pulling his stuffed weight for years now.
A chuck berry upskirt cam would resonate as a better mascot than louie the bear...
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:19 pm
JMC-STL wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:56 pmTime for a complete roster swap with Springfield. Including mascots. Louie hasn't been pulling his stuffed weight for years now.
A chuck berry upskirt cam would resonate as a better mascot than louie the bear...
I hesitate to ask how you came to that conclusion, but at least we share the basic sentiment. :?

JMC-STL wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:22 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:19 pm
JMC-STL wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:56 pmTime for a complete roster swap with Springfield. Including mascots. Louie hasn't been pulling his stuffed weight for years now.
I hesitate to ask how you came to that conclusion, but at least we share the basic sentiment. :?
A deep hatred for knowing the monster chuck is added to the shitty team we are now 4 years removed from winning the cup and how dumb our mascot is, even comparatively
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:48 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:41 pm

The youth movement is full go!
Catch 22 here. On one hand I want these kids to get action and see what they do but on the other hand I worry about bringing them into a locker room that I think is pretty piss poor and surrounded with egos and losers.
Have there been reports that the room is bad this year? I just assumed the team's current plight was brought on by just not having enough good hockey players.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:53 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:48 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:41 pm

The youth movement is full go!
Catch 22 here. On one hand I want these kids to get action and see what they do but on the other hand I worry about bringing them into a locker room that I think is pretty piss poor and surrounded with egos and losers.
Have there been reports that the room is bad this year? I just assumed the team's current plight was brought on by just not having enough good hockey players.
Army talked about how the players don’t look like they enjoy coming to work to which the players said winner breeds happiness and they aren’t winning. And with the effort they are giving you don’t really need much inside information to realize the room lacks leadership, motivation, and cohesion,
Just a Russian propaganda account