Re: GDT: Blues vs Isles - 7:00 2/22

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:41 am
BluesSK wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:20 pm Jordan Binnington will never be a hall of famer but his number will hang from the rafters.

NHL fans don't realize how important of a player he is to this franchise
The counterpoint to this is I don't think fans of other teams need to necessarily care. Everyone leaguewide knows he was the catalyst for the Cup win. It's a shame the pandemic robbed this team of the chance to defend that Cup in a normal fashion since they were in great shape before everything shut down, but weren't the same in the bubble (Binner included).

The fact that Binnington is pretty loathed leaguewide is a bit of a badge of honor for him I think, particularly since his game has picked back up this season. He'll definitely get his number retired, and if he plays out his career here he may even get a statue depending on how things go. I don't think he'll hit 400 or even 300, but that's largely because he's older than you think, turning 31 this summer.
And lets be honest, how many "hockey fans" are there? By that I mean, the guy who every night is watching games around the league? I feel like most people just watch their local teams so they probably only see Binner or know what he's doing a couple times a year. Other than when he trends on twitter for trying to fight someone.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:02 am
BluesSK wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:20 pm Jordan Binnington will never be a hall of famer but his number will hang from the rafters.

NHL fans don't realize how important of a player he is to this franchise
He'll be in the Blues hall of fame for sure. But yeah, I think he'll be much more of a local legend than a national one, simply because I think he's so hated around the league :lol:
One of my all-time favorite goaltenders is Ron Hextall and that guy was HATED with the passion of a thousand burning suns throughout the league (unless you were a Flyers fan). Binners got a long way to go to reach that level!

As far as wins, I think he could very realistically reach 300+, but that will depend a lot on injuries, how good of a team is in front of him, and how many deep playoff runs we make in the next 5-7 years.

RAFritchey wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:48 pmOne of my all-time favorite goaltenders is Ron Hextall and that guy was HATED with the passion of a thousand burning suns throughout the league (unless you were a Flyers fan). Binners got a long way to go to reach that level!

As far as wins, I think he could very realistically reach 300+, but that will depend a lot on injuries, how good of a team is in front of him, and how many deep playoff runs we make in the next 5-7 years.
Well, that last caveat takes away at least the + wins. And likely a chunk off the top of that 300.

JMC-STL wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:59 pm
RAFritchey wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:48 pmOne of my all-time favorite goaltenders is Ron Hextall and that guy was HATED with the passion of a thousand burning suns throughout the league (unless you were a Flyers fan). Binners got a long way to go to reach that level!

Well, that last caveat takes away at least the + wins. And likely a chunk off the top of that 300.
I forgot that the record they're referring to is ONLY regular season wins (Binnington already has the franchise record for playoff wins with 20). I think he'll end up this season with 145-147 total (8 - 10 more wins in our next 26 games, assuming he starts about 2/3 of them and wins about half of those), so he's nearly half-way to 300 already. 155 more wins over the next 5 - 6 seasons isn't that much of a stretch (25 - 30 wins each season), especially since the Blues intend to at least be competitive in that time.

15 more wins from right now gets him the #1 franchise spot, which I think he'll hit early next season, about 10-12 games in.