Re: News and Games around the NHL

Oates2Hullie450 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:52 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:31 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:36 amWhile i fully agree with that statement, we've both seen linesmen jumping in WAY too early, and some getting hit accidentally, think if an accidental hit was a female and the backlash this would cause
I hear you and agree with that. Although it's not like these are Helen from HR being thrust into the role, I'd imagine they are former hockey players themselves, and women's hockey isn't just a pillow fight, those girls HIT. Doesn't mean they can take a punch as well but not including them because of the random MAYBE once a season incident would be a bit silly. If they have the skills to do the job and are better than someone currently doing it, bring em on. God knows a lot of the male refs we have aren't worth a damn.
My Psych degrees (I swear to Chopper I'm not trying to sound pretentious) tell me women on the whole are significantly better at noticing small details, as I think old school husband's wisdom would also indicate. If they know the game and have made it through the rigors it takes to make it up the ref ranks anyways based on their talent, then by all means they should be welcomed.

And something tells me we'd see some repercussions from the first time this hypothetical situation occurs that would ensure it didn't happen in the future. Not so sure said player would see many brand deals come their way for a while..
Is one of those degrees in Abnormal Psychology, or are you simply trolling hockey fan boards for research toward yet another thesis submission? Target-rich environment in that battleground of wits.

Ozzies09tc wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:05 am Did anybody watch ANY of the skills comp or all star games?

I had to work thru the skills comp, and it seems thomas wasn't in any of them, and i didnt care about the games so i didnt see a second of it
No way to watch it all without ESPN+ sub, which wouldn’t include my local team’s games, so nope. I wanted to, and figured they’d have some special free broadcast to try to lure more fans, but nope. Again, the NHL doesn’t want me to watch games? Fine, so be it. I don’t give a shit about other sports, but there can’t be a league as incompetent and self-destructive as the NHL.

Ozzies09tc wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:05 am Did anybody watch ANY of the skills comp or all star games?

I had to work thru the skills comp, and it seems thomas wasn't in any of them, and i didnt care about the games so i didnt see a second of it
I saw a few minutes of each...it was fine. That's all I've got for in depth analysis.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

T.C. wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:27 am
Ozzies09tc wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:05 amDid anybody watch ANY of the skills comp or all star games?

I had to work thru the skills comp, and it seems thomas wasn't in any of them, and i didnt care about the games so i didnt see a second of it.
No way to watch it all without ESPN+ sub, which wouldn’t include my local team’s games, so nope. I wanted to, and figured they’d have some special free broadcast to try to lure more fans, but nope. Again, the NHL doesn’t want me to watch games? Fine, so be it. I don’t give a shit about other sports, but there can’t be a league as incompetent and self-destructive as the NHL.
Oh, quit'cher whinin', T.C.. The NHL is busy planning expansion to satisfy the masses of greedy owners who need their fee shares to screw fans in new ways you haven't even dreamed of yet.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:00 am Have any of you been to the outdoor games? They seem so unappealing to me. Freezing your ass off with a bad view of the game? Is the environment of it just make it all worth it? Just trying to figure out what I'm missing. At least with outdoor football games, you can see the action.
I've heard the atmospheres are great and haven't talked to anyone that's gone and not enjoyed themselves. I haven't been to one, but cost and lack of desire to be anywhere other than my couch on New Years Day are the primary factors.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:47 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:00 amHave any of you been to the outdoor games? They seem so unappealing to me. Freezing your ass off with a bad view of the game? Is the environment of it just make it all worth it? Just trying to figure out what I'm missing. At least with outdoor football games, you can see the action.
I've heard the atmospheres are great and haven't talked to anyone that's gone and not enjoyed themselves. I haven't been to one, but cost and lack of desire to be anywhere other than my couch on New Years Day are the primary factors.
I agree with the collective statements in bold above. In earlier years, I could've convinced myself to attend an NHL outdoor game if not for the horrible sightlines. The ass freezing aspect can be dealt with (layers of clothing from head to toe, alcohol in appropriate moderation, standing up & moving regularly), and the experience would certainly be memorable.

Mrs. JMC 'n' me got past the cost & poor views aspects by attending two outdoor Canadian major juniors games in a rodeo arena fitted with an NHL-sized rink: Central Quebec in late January 2015, 7,200 seating capacity on wooden bleacher seating with wood plank backs, gametime temps on two consecutive evenings were 8°F and 14°F with bitter cold gusty winds & steady snow the last two periods of Game #2, young ladies walking around the stands with shots of blue liqueur on serving trays (big seller), all experiences we'll never forget. My photos from those games are posted on my public Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/gp/jmc-stl/f8NF77528h. THAT'S the kinda event you save your money & Arctic weather gear for.

JMC-STL wrote:
Ozzies09tc wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:05 pmLightning's Sergachev, 1st game back from an injury sustained on dec 17th, stretchered off the ice and likely done for the year
Odd how this "devastating injury" occurred on the very day that Sergachev got his draft notice from The Homeland. :roll:
You got it backwards. Ukraine is the one that just put a bill out to draft more soldiers, that is expected to pass.
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:01 pm
JMC-STL wrote:
Ozzies09tc wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:05 pmLightning's Sergachev, 1st game back from an injury sustained on dec 17th, stretchered off the ice and likely done for the year
Odd how this "devastating injury" occurred on the very day that Sergachev got his draft notice from The Homeland. :roll:
You got it backwards. Ukraine is the one that just put a bill out to draft more soldiers, that is expected to pass.
Putin doesn't bother with a "bill" to build his military. Strength in numbers, like the power play.

JMC-STL wrote:
Ozzies09tc wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:01 pm
JMC-STL wrote: Odd how this "devastating injury" occurred on the very day that Sergachev got his draft notice from The Homeland. :roll:
Putin doesn't bother with a "bill" to build his military. Strength in numbers, like the power play.
Well, touché on that one, got no rebuttal there. Wo getting too political, hopefully their military, as a pp, is as good as ours this year under berube...
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!