Re: Blues 2023-2024 season thread

Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:05 am My guesses of who gets traded at deadline: buchnevich and scandella (no guesses on returns) with a possible kapanen and/or hayes

Off-season I see krug and possibly faulk with the selling point being "you'd like a cup, we're 5 yrs away and You're not getting sny younger"
I think they will listen to offers on Buch but I really think they save him for the offseason. Once the cap goes up, teams will be lined up for a full year of a player at his skill level with his price tag.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:05 am My guesses of who gets traded at deadline: buchnevich and scandella (no guesses on returns) with a possible kapanen and/or hayes

Off-season I see krug and possibly faulk with the selling point being "you'd like a cup, we're 5 yrs away and You're not getting sny younger"
Scandella is a lock, but Buch is the big question. He's their most valuable trade chip by far, but also their best all-around player besides Thomas. Is it possible to trade Buchenvich mid-season without stepping back competitively next year? I don't know what contender would be interested in trading away non-futures for him while theoretically chasing a Cup. I love Buchnevich as a player, but given the way this team has spun it's wheels and the fact that he'd possibly be the most valuable trade chip at this year's deadline, I'm starting to talk myself into the "trade him" camp.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

I don't WANT to lose buch, or faulk for that matter, BUT as we've discussed buch will give us the highest return, he's locked up thru next year, then will command kyrou/thomas money

Even with the cap going up this offseason and then next offseason, do we wanna spend 25+ million on one line!?
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:41 am I don't WANT to lose buch, or faulk for that matter, BUT as we've discussed buch will give us the highest return, he's locked up thru next year, then will command kyrou/thomas money

Even with the cap going up this offseason and then next offseason, do we wanna spend 25+ million on one line!?
I think if the Blues could have it their way, Kyrou would be the one moved and Buch extended. Not sure how feasible that is though.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:43 am
Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:41 am I don't WANT to lose buch, or faulk for that matter, BUT as we've discussed buch will give us the highest return, he's locked up thru next year, then will command kyrou/thomas money

I think if the Blues could have it their way, Kyrou would be the one moved and Buch extended. Not sure how feasible that is though.
Idk, Kyrou is like 5-6 yrs younger with much more offensive upside potential.

I rag on him, but i do see the potential.
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:43 am

You alluded to it, but I think Kyrou is hard to trade in-season with his cap hit. Buch having another year on his very reasonable contract is very tasty to contenders. Tampa has traded away 3 first round picks the last 2 years for lesser players on similar (albeit cheaper) contracts. I still don't know if they'll do it, but they'd get quite the haul for him.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:38 pm I am really on the fence about moving Buchnevich. I think he's injured right now anyways or banged up at the least and that might hurt his trade value. I'd much rather move Kyrou.

Maybe both if we're gonna be able to land some great returns?
Kyrou for Huberdeau E4

JMC-STL wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:55 am
BlueinNy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:45 amBride and I will see Springfield in utica tonight, im kinda excited to see Gaudette,Rosen, Bitten and the boys. Looking at Gaudettes #s I'm not really sure why Vrana is up and he's not. Even if someone has to play an off side his stats shine.
Safe travels from & back to your home. In your spare time during play, keep an eye out for a St. Louis-born kid skating for the Utica Comets: #61 RW Chase Stillman. The last name should be familiar to Blues fans.
Corey's son, Chase, who will be eligible for The NHL draft. His other son, Riley, played defence for The Blackhawks, and currently plays for The Rochester Americans.

RAFritchey wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:50 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:45 pm Kessel makes Faulk tradeable... go get me a goal scorer Leeeery!!!
I don't know about Faulk, but certainly Scandella, or possibly Leddy.
Sadly all our left defensemen are tradable imo. If we have krug, dont need perunovich and vice versa

Tucker looks promising, but is looking like a left handed bortuzzo

Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:29 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:52 am Looking at the standings, I am really struggling to find a path the to playoffs for the Blues.

They are 10 points being 3rd place in the central so catching one of them seems done and dusted. So we are left vying for a wildcard spot. After really dreadful starts, it sure appears both Seattle and Edmonton have corrected their course. Both have won 6 straight to pass the Blues. Seattle has points in 10 straight. Calgary has won three in a row to get tied with the Blues. Then you have the Yotes and Nashville who are both currently ahead of the Blues. The Blues would have to beat out 4 of those 5 teams listed..

I'm really finding it difficult to believe they will be able to do that.

Happy New Year
The way I see it, the Blues are one of 6 teams competing for the final Wild Card spot. Edmonton with at the very minimum get the first wild card spot, so I'm not counting them. The 5 teams besides the Blues are Nashville, Seattle, Arizona, Calgary and Minnesota. That group is just an absolute heaping dose of mediocrity. I could absolutely see the Blues winning that pillow fight over the next 43 games, but I don't really think they're appreciably better or worse than any of those 5. Odds are they miss out. Big changes in the offseason.
Thought it might be worthwhile re-examining this conversation. Since the time of this post, the Blues have earned 13 points in 10 games to pass Nashville and tie LA for the 1st wild card spot. LA was 3rd in the Pacific at the time but have since been passed by the red hot Oilers. The Kings are now squarely on the ever crowded bubble. Nashville, Seattle, Arizona, Calgary and Minnesota have all earned between 9 and 11 points over their last 10 games, which is wild. I still see a heaping pile of mediocrity among those teams, and if anybody can get really hot, they should be able to take firm hold of one of those wild card spots. The Blues are obviously on a hot result streak, but before that they were 1-3-1. I don't really see any of those teams (Blues included) staying hot long enough to take command. Minnesota is 7 points back, and with this many teams in the middle, they probably need a hot streak just to really stay in the chase.

The win streak is impressive, and unexpected on it's own. When you weigh in the fact they did it on their west coast trip vs some of the better teams in the league it's incredible. Hope they can keep this level of consistency up. It's something we have not seen in awhile. With as crowded as it is, you're always a 4 game winning or losing streak away from moving about 4-5 slots.

It'll surely be a tight race through February, possibly right up to the March 8th trade deadline.

LA is in a downward spiral. It seems like Pierre Luc Dubois really is poison on that team. They don't have a lot of UFAs that they might trade off, although the don't have any goalies signed past this season and a lot of RFAs to re-sign. I think they stay pat at the deadline, perhaps even try to add something (They still have their 1st round pick coming up, but not their 2nd or 3rd) if they can pull out of their nose-dive, but I think they'll fall out of the race this year.

Calgary is a mess, with a TON of upcoming UFAs, including Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin, who will both probably be overpaid this off season. They REALLY need to have a fire sale and a genuine rebuild. I don't know if they will, but they SHOULD.

Nashville has plenty of cap room, some extra 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks, and I could easily see them being buyers by the deadline. Ryan O'Reilly is having a great year there, Juuse Saros and Gustyav Nyquist don't become UFAs until 2025, so I think they make some moves to go for it.

Seattle has like NO cap space, though they do have most of their draft picks (missing a 5th rounder, but also have Toronto's 3rd and Calgary's 7th), and they have a few of pending UFAs they COULD get a decent return on (Jordan Eberle, Alex Wennberg, Justin Schultz). I think they could go either way. A hot streak, they stand pat and go for it (I don't think they'd be 'buyers' at the deadline), a cold streak and they trade off UFAs.

Arizona I think stands pat even if they fall out of the race. Goaltending is the main reason why they're where they are right now (Thank you Connor Ingram!), and they have a little cap space (Just shy of $3 mil right now), and their ENTIRE D-corps are either UFAs or RFAs coming up. OTOH, they have like $23 mil in cap space opening up this Summer and TWENTY 1st - 3rd round draft picks over the next three years thanks to all of those dead contracts (e.g. Shea Weber) or cap hits they took to help other teams make deals. IMHO, this isn't the year they make any moves, but I think they'll make some BIG ones over the Summer and going forward.

I think Nashville, Seattle, and LA will be our main competition for the wild-card spots going forwards, but we'll see what the next 6 weeks brings.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:38 pm I am really on the fence about moving Buchnevich. I think he's injured right now anyways or banged up at the least and that might hurt his trade value. I'd much rather move Kyrou.

Maybe both if we're gonna be able to land some great returns?
The problems with Buch are ... next year is his walk year... after which, he's gonna want to be paid like his two line-mates, or he won't be happy... and his line-mates are making 2.325 Million/year more than he is. Don't think Army will go there unless it's a short term deal... Don't thing Buch will go for any short-term deal at his age. I'm guessing he gets moved, and it's a shame... he works his ass off. Kyrou, on the other hand.........

RAFritchey wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:22 pm It'll surely be a tight race through February, possibly right up to the March 8th trade deadline.

LA is in a downward spiral. It seems like Pierre Luc Dubois really is poison on that team. They don't have a lot of UFAs that they might trade off, although the don't have any goalies signed past this season and a lot of RFAs to re-sign. I think they stay pat at the deadline, perhaps even try to add something (They still have their 1st round pick coming up, but not their 2nd or 3rd) if they can pull out of their nose-dive, but I think they'll fall out of the race this year.

Calgary is a mess, with a TON of upcoming UFAs, including Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin, who will both probably be overpaid this off season. They REALLY need to have a fire sale and a genuine rebuild. I don't know if they will, but they SHOULD.

Nashville has plenty of cap room, some extra 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks, and I could easily see them being buyers by the deadline. Ryan O'Reilly is having a great year there, Juuse Saros and Gustyav Nyquist don't become UFAs until 2025, so I think they make some moves to go for it.

Seattle has like NO cap space, though they do have most of their draft picks (missing a 5th rounder, but also have Toronto's 3rd and Calgary's 7th), and they have a few of pending UFAs they COULD get a decent return on (Jordan Eberle, Alex Wennberg, Justin Schultz). I think they could go either way. A hot streak, they stand pat and go for it (I don't think they'd be 'buyers' at the deadline), a cold streak and they trade off UFAs.

Arizona I think stands pat even if they fall out of the race. Goaltending is the main reason why they're where they are right now (Thank you Connor Ingram!), and they have a little cap space (Just shy of $3 mil right now), and their ENTIRE D-corps are either UFAs or RFAs coming up. OTOH, they have like $23 mil in cap space opening up this Summer and TWENTY 1st - 3rd round draft picks over the next three years thanks to all of those dead contracts (e.g. Shea Weber) or cap hits they took to help other teams make deals. IMHO, this isn't the year they make any moves, but I think they'll make some BIG ones over the Summer and going forward.

I think Nashville, Seattle, and LA will be our main competition for the wild-card spots going forwards, but we'll see what the next 6 weeks brings.
That's a pretty fair summary. I don't really trust any of the teams chasing, but I don't really trust the Blues either. The key is whether or not LA gets the wheels back on the bus. The race has already become for 2 wild card spots whereas not too long ago it looked like a race for just one. Nashville seems like the safest bet of the bunch to me with their goaltending and D, but who knows. The second half of the season got a lot more interesting lately.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:59 am
RAFritchey wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:22 pm It'll surely be a tight race through February, possibly right up to the March 8th trade deadline.

That's a pretty fair summary. I don't really trust any of the teams chasing, but I don't really trust the Blues either. The key is whether or not LA gets the wheels back on the bus. The race has already become for 2 wild card spots whereas not too long ago it looked like a race for just one. Nashville seems like the safest bet of the bunch to me with their goaltending and D, but who knows. The second half of the season got a lot more interesting lately.
I think LA and Nashville are also the most likely to make some moves to improve by the trade deadline, too.

Even if Seattle is still in the hunt, I don't think they'll be buyers. Calgary SHOULD have a massive sell-off, but with them, there's no telling (Maybe Jonathan Huberdeau somehow returns to his 100 pt, Florida form?), and Arizona isn't quite ready to make big additions, but I think they'll be HUGE dealers this Summer and beyond.

BillP. wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:53 am
CaptSMRT wrote:The Blues now have a 64% of making the first round!!!
They're as good as anyone else fighting for the 2nd wild card. WTF, why not make the playoffs? Go Blues!!
The experience would be valuable to neighbours and snuggerud....

From an article on The Athletic reviewing assorted stats/trends across the league:
6. The St. Louis Blues are still a weak five-on-five team (they’re third last in expected goals percentage since their coaching change), but vintage Jordan Binnington may be enough to mitigate that. He’s been on fire in the new year with a .930 save percentage, saving 14 goals above expected. That’s second to only Stuart Skinner.

Binnington’s return to form has the Blues riding an 8-4-1 record in 2024, straight into the West’s final wild-card spot. That’ll be tough to maintain given the club’s weaknesses, but if Binnington is up to the challenge and keeps up this torrid pace, the Blues have a real shot.
While this brings back memories of 2019, recall that once Berube came in, the Blues were playing outstanding 5v5, but were being done in by Jake Allen's standard mid-season swoon.