Re: Blues vs. Kraken, Fri, Jan 26, 2024

Ozzies09tc wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:18 am
CaptSMRT wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:39 am Sixteen wins to go!!!
Do you really WANT the blues to make the PO's tho? Let's be honest, we're not gonna win the cup, so the only thing PO's will do is get Army over-confident the team we have is closer to a cup than we actually are and lessen any draft capital we could obtain.

I love cheering for the blues, and we have a great scouting staff (now)but these "wins" are a short-sighted victory
Not only is it HIGHLY unlikely that advancing a few slots in the draft this year will make much difference, there are a few other advantages to making the playoffs, even if we're expect to be a 1st round exit.

1) I'm a strong believer in a team's culture. Having a foundation of a winning culture, even if the pundits think you have a limited ceiling, can make a big difference even from season to season.

2) Playoff revenue even for a couple of 1st round games can really help a franchise's stability and ability to afford free agnets.

3) The old cliché: once you make the playoffs, anything can happen due to injuries, playoff heroics, etc.

RAFritchey wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:58 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:39 am Sixteen wins to go!!!
Do you really WANT the blues to make the PO's tho? Let's be honest, we're not gonna win the cup, so the only thing PO's will do is get Army over-confident the team we have is closer to a cup than we actually are and lessen any draft capital we could obtain.

I love cheering for the blues, and we have a great scouting staff (now)but these "wins" are a short-sighted victory
Not only is it HIGHLY unlikely that advancing a few slots in the draft this year will make much difference, there are a few other advantages to making the playoffs, even if we're expect to be a 1st round exit.

1) I'm a strong believer in a team's culture. Having a foundation of a winning culture, even if the pundits think you have a limited ceiling, can make a big difference even from season to season.

2) Playoff revenue even for a couple of 1st round games can really help a franchise's stability and ability to afford free agnets.

3) The old cliché: once you make the playoffs, anything can happen due to injuries, playoff heroics, etc.
I agree with all, but last year we were all bitching about "winning too many games" and "losing out of a top 1p pick" and I don't see much difference between this team and that team.

That said, a 5.game winning streak, on the west coast trip, is a breath of fresh air so...maybe we turned it around in time?
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:42 pm
RAFritchey wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:58 pm

I agree with all, but last year we were all bitching about "winning too many games" and "losing out of a top 1p pick" and I don't see much difference between this team and that team.

That said, a 5.game winning streak, on the west coast trip, is a breath of fresh air so...maybe we turned it around in time?
We were bitching because we were already eliminated and Berube was pulling out all the stops for points.

I have no issue with the guys wanting to make the playoffs but when the ship has sunk abandon ship and tank.

As of today we're in a playoff position and I'll certainly take that.