Re: News and Games around the NHL

Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:53 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:53 am

Carter Hart, Dillon Dube, and Alex Formenton have all asked their teams for leaves of absence in the last 24 hours. Formenton is playing in Europ, but it sounds like there will likely be 2 more NHL players doing the same in the very near future. As a refresher, Kyrou and Thomas were on that team but aren't suspected of being involved.
Hart, Dube, Thomas, and Kyrou have all either made statements or their agents made statements, stating they were not involved/didn't go to the gala
Seems as though 2 of those statements weren't worth a whole lot.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:53 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:00 pm JAIL

That's the worst hit I can remember seeing in the last few years. They'd pretty well removed the direct headshot hit from the game. If Gallagher has a previous suspension (which seems plausible) this could be a pretty hefty suspension.

I stand corrected. The League never fails to disappoint with these suspensions.

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:54 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:00 pm JAIL

That's the worst hit I can remember seeing in the last few years. They'd pretty well removed the direct headshot hit from the game. If Gallagher has a previous suspension (which seems plausible) this could be a pretty hefty suspension.

That's a shocking decision. Even if a guy has a completely clean record, that's a pretty egregious hit. Forget fans being upset about it, if I'm a player I'm upset about it because that's the exact stuff you want out of the game.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:22 am

That's a shocking decision. Even if a guy has a completely clean record, that's a pretty egregious hit. Forget fans being upset about it, if I'm a player I'm upset about it because that's the exact stuff you want out of the game.
No league does more to protect the plugs* and less to protect the stars than the NHL. If a blitzing linebacker did the NFL equivalent of this to Pat Mahomes, Roger Goodell would call in a favor and have him sent to Guantanamo Bay.

*I know Gallagher is not a plug, but the comment stands.

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:47 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:22 am

No league does more to protect the plugs* and less to protect the stars than the NHL. If a blitzing linebacker did the NFL equivalent of this to Pat Mahomes, Roger Goodell would call in a favor and have him sent to Guantanamo Bay.

*I know Gallagher is not a plug, but the comment stands.
There's just zero consistency too. It's like they decide these things by throwing darts while blindfolded

Big trade between rivals:

Flames got some nice pieces for a guy that was likely going to walk as a UFA at the end of the season. Kuzmenko is the key piece besides the 1st round draft pick. He scored 39 last year, but has been in Tocchet's dog house for his defensive play. It'll be curious to see how that goes with the Flames, who already have Huberdeau playing that role. Canucks really pushing their chips in this season, which is probably wise since they're going to have to shake up the roster a bit to accommodate what I imagine will be a big raise for Pettersson in the offseason. Wonder if this spurs some trade action, or if we have to wait for more big moves until closer to the deadline.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:51 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:53 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:53 am

Carter Hart, Dillon Dube, and Alex Formenton have all asked their teams for leaves of absence in the last 24 hours. Formenton is playing in Europ, but it sounds like there will likely be 2 more NHL players doing the same in the very near future. As a refresher, Kyrou and Thomas were on that team but aren't suspected of being involved.
Hart, Dube, Thomas, and Kyrou have all either made statements or their agents made statements, stating they were not involved/didn't go to the gala
Seems as though 2 of those statements weren't worth a whole lot.
Yeah....that didn't age well...

https://abc7ny.com/amp/nj-devils-sexual ... /14373013/
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

CaptSMRT wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:38 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:59 am Busy news day!

The Kings getting a new coach bounce wouldn't be a great thing for the Blues.
It worked for the Blues
They're already 2 points ahead of us with a game in hand. I hope we can catch up with them for the 1st wild-card spot, but I'm more worried about Nashville, Seattle, and Arizona, now that it seems like Calgary is bowing out of the race for this year.

We're tied with Nashville with two games in hand, 2 points ahead of Seattle with one game in hand, and 5 points ahead of Arizona, but they have a game in hand. Calgary is currently 5 points behind us with the same number of games played.

We're currently in the second wild-card spot, and whether we make the playoffs or not is still very much in OUR hands, without having to hope for other teams to falter.

Ozzies09tc wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:17 am I see why they may be wanting to rid the game of fighting...

Two female linespersons attempting to break up two grown men throwing fisty-cuffs.... Yeahhh.... I dont see it
Counter point, officials should never be trying to break up a fight and in most cases they aren't. They watch til the guys either tire themselves out or go to the ice. There's really no need for them to get between two willing combatants.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Ozzies09tc wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:17 am I see why they may be wanting to rid the game of fighting...

Two female linespersons attempting to break up two grown men throwing fisty-cuffs.... Yeahhh.... I dont see it
Counter point, officials should never be trying to break up a fight and in most cases they aren't. They watch til the guys either tire themselves out or go to the ice. There's really no need for them to get between two willing combatants.
While i fully agree with that statement, we've both seen linesmen jumping in WAY too early, and some getting hit accidentally, think if an accidental hit was a female and the backlash this would cause
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:36 am

While i fully agree with that statement, we've both seen linesmen jumping in WAY too early, and some getting hit accidentally, think if an accidental hit was a female and the backlash this would cause
I hear you and agree with that. Although it's not like these are Helen from HR being thrust into the role, I'd imagine they are former hockey players themselves, and women's hockey isn't just a pillow fight, those girls HIT. Doesn't mean they can take a punch as well but not including them because of the random MAYBE once a season incident would be a bit silly. If they have the skills to do the job and are better than someone currently doing it, bring em on. God knows a lot of the male refs we have aren't worth a damn.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:31 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:36 am

I hear you and agree with that. Although it's not like these are Helen from HR being thrust into the role, I'd imagine they are former hockey players themselves, and women's hockey isn't just a pillow fight, those girls HIT. Doesn't mean they can take a punch as well but not including them because of the random MAYBE once a season incident would be a bit silly. If they have the skills to do the job and are better than someone currently doing it, bring em on. God knows a lot of the male refs we have aren't worth a damn.
My Psych degrees (I swear to Chopper I'm not trying to sound pretentious) tell me women on the whole are significantly better at noticing small details, as I think old school husband's wisdom would also indicate. If they know the game and have made it through the rigors it takes to make it up the ref ranks anyways based on their talent, then by all means they should be welcomed.

And something tells me we'd see some repercussions from the first time this hypothetical situation occurs that would ensure it didn't happen in the future. Not so sure said player would see many brand deals come their way for a while..