Re: News and Games around the NHL

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:16 pm I honestly didn’t know he ended up with the Panthers

Before I scrolled down I could only see "I honestly didn’t know he ended up with the Panthers" but not the tweet. I never would have guessed you were talking about Mikkola. Had no idea whatsoever where he landed. Glad to see he's an offensive juggernaut now.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Lots of interesting stuff here. Arizona has been a dogshit franchise currently playing in a 5000 seat venue and Florida has had attendance problems for years, so how long will it take Bettman to pull the plug on the Jets if their attendance woes continue?

Phil Kessel is looking for a team. The offense on our team is looking a bit tepid. Would he be a fit on the Blues?

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:12 am The Bruins have given up just 7 goals and are 5-0. They were supposed to take a big step back this year with their off-season loses/retirements but Monty has a great system in place there and two world class goalies. Impressive regular season team.
Detroit is back too at 5-1. Too bad they don't have a Nick Leddy to round out their team.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:12 am The Bruins have given up just 7 goals and are 5-0. They were supposed to take a big step back this year with their off-season loses/retirements but Monty has a great system in place there and two world class goalies. Impressive regular season team.
The people expecting the Bruins to possibly miss the playoffs were nuts to me. Even if they regressed 30 points from last year they'd still be at 105. They're going to be wild at the deadline when they add a center or two.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:54 am
The people expecting the Bruins to possibly miss the playoffs were nuts to me. Even if they regressed 30 points from last year they'd still be at 105. They're going to be wild at the deadline when they add a center or two.
It wasn't COMPLETELY unreasonable. They were never supposed to be that good last year, and their top two centers are Pavel Zucha and a 19 year old who wasn't even expected to make the team at the start of camp. I think the Bruins are the poster child though for how much of an impact culture and coaching can have on a team. The ole "players need to buy in" cliche. The players have bought into whatever Monty is selling.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:36 am
It wasn't COMPLETELY unreasonable. They were never supposed to be that good last year, and their top two centers are Pavel Zucha and a 19 year old who wasn't even expected to make the team at the start of camp. I think the Bruins are the poster child though for how much of an impact culture and coaching can have on a team. The ole "players need to buy in" cliche. The players have bought into whatever Monty is selling.
They also have a great D Corps, a top 3 pure goal scorer in the league, a unicorn player in Marchand, the Vezina trophy winner and a backup who might be better.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:58 am

They also have a great D Corps, a top 3 pure goal scorer in the league, a unicorn player in Marchand, the Vezina trophy winner and a backup who might be better.
Lindholm was seen as a terrible contract that the Ducks gave away to the Bruins who has turned it around into a top defensemen. McAvoy is brilliant. They lost Clifton and replaced him with Blues legend Shattenkirk. We saw how good Krug was there and how bad he's been since he left. They are doing something right there. They get the most out of the talent a player has.

Blues had 109 points in Monty's only full season with the team and then fell apart when he left. Especially the difference on defense. Needless to say, I'm a big Monty honk.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:02 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:58 am

Lindholm was seen as a terrible contract that the Ducks gave away to the Bruins who has turned it around into a top defensemen. McAvoy is brilliant. They lost Clifton and replaced him with Blues legend Shattenkirk. We saw how good Krug was there and how bad he's been since he left. They are doing something right there. They get the most out of the talent a player has.

Blues had 109 points in Monty's only full season with the team and then fell apart when he left. Especially the difference on defense. Needless to say, I'm a big Monty honk.
Monty rocks. Top 5 coach in the league.