Re: Blues 2023-2024 season thread

The article calls it a "Huge Problem" when in reality it's probably more of a minor curiosity. It's Schenn or nobody this year. If they play the season without one they're probably just waiting for one of the younger guys to earn the role. I feel a little bad for Schenn, but overall this story is a big fat who cares for me. This team isn't going anywhere, and while the C has some significance, that significance tends to be overrated in my opinion.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:36 am The article calls it a "Huge Problem" when in reality it's probably more of a minor curiosity. It's Schenn or nobody this year. If they play the season without one they're probably just waiting for one of the younger guys to earn the role. I feel a little bad for Schenn, but overall this story is a big fat who cares for me. This team isn't going anywhere, and while the C has some significance, that significance tends to be overrated in my opinion.
Yeah, I don't think anyone is going to give Schenn the "you're not my real dad" treatment because there isn't a C on his jersey. At the same time, I'm not sure why Army is trying to reinvent the wheel with this.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dave's a mess wrote: The article calls it a "Huge Problem" when in reality it's probably more of a minor curiosity. It's Schenn or nobody this year. If they play the season without one they're probably just waiting for one of the younger guys to earn the role. I feel a little bad for Schenn, but overall this story is a big fat who cares for me. This team isn't going anywhere, and while the C has some significance, that significance tends to be overrated in my opinion.
I see it the same way. Either its Schenn or Army is waiting for one of the younger guys to step up. Buy like you say, it is a bummer for Schenn. I do think he is deserving of it. The fact that Army ignores Schenn is kind of a head scratcher.

T.C. wrote: Added what appears to be the source link for you. Please don’t copy/paste entire articles without linking the source.

But yeah - they need to focus on coming together as a team. When there isn’t someone to guide/tell them what to do, maybe they will put big boy pants on and act like a seasoned player. I’d guess whoever emerges as being able to corral that group will be named captain. Sounds like they weren’t listening to people that they should have respected. So I’m not sure what else you would do here. Seems like the right move (and message) to me. It’s not exactly like we have a Dallas Drake here.
Thanks TC. We just need some news. Saw the recent article so I posted it. Thanks for making it more readable.

big d note wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:27 am I almost said the same yesterday, but I don't know what Buch is like as a leader in the dressing room. He seems a little kooky in interviews, but I'm very impressed with his work ethic on the ice.
One thing that bothers me about the whole Tarasenko era was that he was never really considered for captain and I think he really wanted it.

He captained his world junior team years ago and excelled at it and he was the face of our franchise.

Things could have been a lot different .

OK, I saw this proposal on a fan thread, and it seemed to be pretty equally split between people in favor and opposing it for both Toronto and St. Louis, so I thought I'd share it:

To STL: William Nylander
To TOR: Colton Parayko; Jake Neighbors; 2024 1st round pick.

Even if the 1st round pick were top-10 protected and/or had conditions based on Nylander signing an extension here, I just don't see it.

Toronto needs to clear cap-space, not take on more, even if they felt that Parayko could do much better with a change of scenery.

St. Louis needs to improve their defense more than they need to tie up cap space going forward in another scoring forward, even one as good as Nylander, and as mediocre as Parayko is, he's still a big, decent skating, right-shooting blueliner, which is harder than you'd think to replace.

Thoughts?

RAFritchey wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:31 pm OK, I saw this proposal on a fan thread, and it seemed to be pretty equally split between people in favor and opposing it for both Toronto and St. Louis, so I thought I'd share it:

Even if the 1st round pick were top-10 protected and/or had conditions based on Nylander signing an extension here, I just don't see it.

Toronto needs to clear cap-space, not take on more, even if they felt that Parayko could do much better with a change of scenery.

St. Louis needs to improve their defense more than they need to tie up cap space going forward in another scoring forward, even one as good as Nylander, and as mediocre as Parayko is, he's still a big, decent skating, right-shooting blueliner, which is harder than you'd think to replace.

Thoughts?
Army may have been born at night, but it wasn’t last night.

RAFritchey wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:31 pm OK, I saw this proposal on a fan thread, and it seemed to be pretty equally split between people in favor and opposing it for both Toronto and St. Louis, so I thought I'd share it:

Thoughts?
I saw that thread and I’ll post the same thing again. I like Nylander but not for that price.

And I’ll go a step further. The Blues depth/resources on D is so poor, they can’t part with Parayko. Cause even up, that’s a fair exchange, but given the Blues situation on D, they can’t even do that.

Thoughts?
Nylander rocks. Parayko for Nylander rumors have been around for years, but as Bill said, I just don't see how you can remove the Blues biggest minute munching D without at least some form of replacement coming back. I won't bother with whether or not the value is equal on this deal because that depends on how each party views Parayko currently.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!