Re: Blues 2023-2024 season thread

MattyIce wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:06 am
BlueinNy wrote:
Ozzies09tc wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:27 am https://www.nhl.com/predators/roster

On paper, they don't look intimidating at all
Looking at our forwards shouldn't put the fear of Jesus in anybody either.
The Blues don't have the high end talent of some teams, but what I think they DO have is depth. All four lines can score on this team. That was the strength of the 19 team as well.

I would say there are a ton of teams that would like forwards like Buch, Schenn, Kyrou, Thomas, Saad, Hayes. If Vrana and Kap produce, thats a pretty damn deep group. Especially with Sunny and Blais rounding out the 4th line.
They'll have 4 decent lines, 3 of which will score decently, and the 4th will be able to contribute to the offence, as well. What they'll need to improve upon, largely, is keeping the puck out of their own net. Getting rid of Van Rijn is a decent start, but they'll need to add at least one Top 4 defensive defenceman, and tighten up their overall team defensive game, and get their forwards to become dedicated to getting back, backchecking, and playing a more physical game. We'll have to hope that Perunovich comes back significantly stronger, and is much more able to hold his own in his own zone, and stands up to opposing forwards better than he has up to this point in his NHL career. I think The Blues will be in the fighting for the Wild Card Limbo for the next few seasons, until they can revitalise their backline corps.

The Athletic just dropped projected WJC rosters for USA, Canada, Sweden and Finland. In a nice turn of events from recent years, the Blues had a prospect projected for each team:
CAN- Michael Buchinger- 2022 3rd Round...3rd pair D
USA- Jimmy Snuggerud-2022 1rst Round...1st line RW
SWE- Otto Stenberg-2023 1st Round...3rd line LW
FIN- Aleksanteri Kaskimaki- 2022 3rd Round...1st Line C

I imagine Dvorsky will be a member of Slovakia's team as well, but they just projected those 4 countries. Nice to see Kaskimaki seems to be progressing well.
He plays in the Finnish pro league, and their stats are always tough to translate. We'll see if those 4 actually make the teams or if anyone else pops on.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:35 am The Athletic just dropped projected WJC rosters for USA, Canada, Sweden and Finland. In a nice turn of events from recent years, the Blues had a prospect projected for each team:

I imagine Dvorsky will be a member of Slovakia's team as well, but they just projected those 4 countries. Nice to see Kaskimaki seems to be progressing well.
He plays in the Finnish pro league, and their stats are always tough to translate. We'll see if those 4 actually make the teams or if anyone else pops on.
Great news on Buchinger. He's definitely one Im keeping an eye on this year after the giant leap he took last year.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:49 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:35 am The Athletic just dropped projected WJC rosters for USA, Canada, Sweden and Finland. In a nice turn of events from recent years, the Blues had a prospect projected for each team:

Great news on Buchinger. He's definitely one Im keeping an eye on this year after the giant leap he took last year.
Cautiously optimistic on him.

I got tickets for the Dec 2nd game against the Coyotes. I'm excited to see an NHL game in the little Mullett Arena. Should be a fun experience! It was a bit pricey, but we're going to make a little weekend trip out of it. I got Sec 113, about even with the faceoff dots at the side where the Blues shoot twice.

I could do without the Ticketmaster ass-rape fees though. They tacked on almost $100 in fees to buy 2 tickets for a hockey game. That's some bullshit right there.

big d note wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:37 pm I got tickets for the Dec 2nd game against the Coyotes. I'm excited to see an NHL game in the little Mullett Arena. Should be a fun experience! It was a bit pricey, but we're going to make a little weekend trip out of it. I got Sec 113, about even with the faceoff dots at the side where the Blues shoot twice.

I could do without the Ticketmaster ass-rape fees though. They tacked on almost $100 in fees to buy 2 tickets for a hockey game. That's some bullshit right there.
but... they state that's for your convenience
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

big d note wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:37 pm I got tickets for the Dec 2nd game against the Coyotes. I'm excited to see an NHL game in the little Mullett Arena. Should be a fun experience! It was a bit pricey, but we're going to make a little weekend trip out of it. I got Sec 113, about even with the faceoff dots at the side where the Blues shoot twice.

Ticketmaster blows. I was shocked that the extra fees for some tickets I just bought through them only amounted to around 12%. I bought some tickets through them over the winter and the fees were around 40% if I recall correctly. They're about as popular as Sinclair.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

this is fun...
THW wrote:St. Louis Blues’ 3 Worst Contracts for 2023-24

A lot has been said about the St. Louis Blues‘ lack of salary cap flexibility, and it is all true. They don’t have much flexibility due to various poor contracts handed out by general manager (GM) Doug Armstrong. One of the issues that will cripple the Blues the most is the lengthy term of several contracts. The term and annual average value (AAV) are the two most important factors in determining the worst contracts, and that’s on top of on-ice performance.

They have four players with four or more years left on their deals at the age of 30 years old or above, so it’s not the best situation for Armstrong and the Blues. I’ve already gotten into the Blues’ three best contracts, so let’s get into the Blues’ three worst contracts for the 2023-24 season.

3. Jordan Binnington, Goaltender
$6 million AAV through the 2026-27 season

Through two seasons of the six-year extension for Jordan Binnington, the results have been poor. Prior to signing the deal, he had quality numbers in large sample sizes across three seasons. From 2018-19 to 2020-21, he had a record of 73-32-16, a save percentage (SV%) of .915, a goals against average (GAA) of 2.42, and a Stanley Cup. He was an above-average goaltender for three seasons, and the Blues gave him a healthy extension to reward him, but he’s fallen off in a big way over the past two seasons.

Amongst the reasons for Binnington’s struggles is the Blues’ lackluster defensive unit, but a lot of it is on him. He has not played well whatsoever and the numbers back that up. Over 97 starts in the last two seasons, Binnington has a record of 45-41-10 with a .897 SV% and 3.24 GAA. Those numbers are far below the standard of his first three seasons and he’s clearly underperformed his contract. On top of this, he’s been one of the worst goaltenders in the league over the past two seasons in goals saved above average (GSAA). His GSAA is minus-26.6 over the past two seasons and that’s about as bad as it gets for a goaltender making $6 million a year.

I would not be stunned to see Binnington lose his starting job to Joel Hofer sometime over the next few seasons. With that being said, this season is a big opportunity for Binnington to regain his form and prove his worth. I don’t expect him to return to his 2019 Cup form, but somewhere in between that and the past few seasons is fine form.

2. Torey Krug, Defense
$6.5 million AAV through the 2026-27 Season

It seemed like the Blues were going to trade Torey Krug this summer, but a deal was called off after he declined to waive his no-trade clause to the Philadelphia Flyers in the Kevin Hayes trade. Of course, the Blues went back to the drawing board and still acquired Hayes, but only for a mere future sixth-round pick. When the Blues signed Krug in 2020, it seemed like he would be their Alex Pietrangelo replacement, but that wasn’t their intention and hasn’t been the case.

Injuries were an issue for Krug with the Boston Bruins, and that hasn’t changed much with the Blues. He’s appeared in fewer than 70 games over the past two seasons, but he did play in 51 of 56 games in his first season with the Blues. His offensive numbers took a hefty dip last season, but they were close to on par with his career in Boston in the two seasons prior. The reason why this is one of the Blues’ worst contracts is his lack of defensive skill, but the Blues should have expected this when they signed him. He’s a good power-play quarterback and passer, but his durability and defensive issues have overtaken that in the past couple of seasons. I would be surprised if Krug plays out the rest of this contract in St. Louis, but stranger things have happened.

1. Colton Parayko, Defense
$6.5 million AAV through the 2029-30 Season

I never thought the Colton Parayko extension was a good idea, but the Blues went ahead with it prior to the 2022-23 season, giving him an eight-year extension. His play was declining before the extension was ever signed, but the Blues believed he would bounce back after back issues lingered in 2020-21. This contract was yet another example of Armstrong’s lack of awareness when it comes to handing out extensions. I understand wanting to keep the 2019 Cup core together and reward them, but he let their best defenseman, Pietrangelo, walk over a no-movement clause dispute.

Parayko’s defense and skating have taken a major step backward over the past few seasons after he was, at one time, viewed as one of the league’s best defensive defensemen. He also doesn’t have much use for his heavy slap shot as he refuses to shoot the puck on a consistent basis. it doesn’t help that the Blues have been unable to find a steady and reliable left-handed partner for him after Jay Bouwmeester retired, but that can’t be a major excuse for Parayko’s drop-off in play. This contract is going to be a tough one to look at on the Blues’ salary cap table for many more seasons to come.

Honorable mention contracts such as Nick Leddy, Marco Scandella, and Justin Faulk nearly cracked the list, but these three seemed pretty clear to me. The Blues will contend for a playoff spot this season, but it’s hard not to imagine what this roster could look like on the blue line if Armstrong did things differently after winning the Cup in 2019. However, the past is the past and the Blues must look forward.

T.C. wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:23 pm this is fun...
THW wrote:St. Louis Blues’ 3 Worst Contracts for 2023-24

A lot has been said about the St. Louis Blues‘ lack of salary cap flexibility, and it is all true. They don’t have much flexibility due to various poor contracts handed out by general manager (GM) Doug Armstrong. One of the issues that will cripple the Blues the most is the lengthy term of several contracts. The term and annual average value (AAV) are the two most important factors in determining the worst contracts, and that’s on top of on-ice performance.

They have four players with four or more years left on their deals at the age of 30 years old or above, so it’s not the best situation for Armstrong and the Blues. I’ve already gotten into the Blues’ three best contracts, so let’s get into the Blues’ three worst contracts for the 2023-24 season.

3. Jordan Binnington, Goaltender
$6 million AAV through the 2026-27 season

Through two seasons of the six-year extension for Jordan Binnington, the results have been poor. Prior to signing the deal, he had quality numbers in large sample sizes across three seasons. From 2018-19 to 2020-21, he had a record of 73-32-16, a save percentage (SV%) of .915, a goals against average (GAA) of 2.42, and a Stanley Cup. He was an above-average goaltender for three seasons, and the Blues gave him a healthy extension to reward him, but he’s fallen off in a big way over the past two seasons.

Amongst the reasons for Binnington’s struggles is the Blues’ lackluster defensive unit, but a lot of it is on him. He has not played well whatsoever and the numbers back that up. Over 97 starts in the last two seasons, Binnington has a record of 45-41-10 with a .897 SV% and 3.24 GAA. Those numbers are far below the standard of his first three seasons and he’s clearly underperformed his contract. On top of this, he’s been one of the worst goaltenders in the league over the past two seasons in goals saved above average (GSAA). His GSAA is minus-26.6 over the past two seasons and that’s about as bad as it gets for a goaltender making $6 million a year.

I would not be stunned to see Binnington lose his starting job to Joel Hofer sometime over the next few seasons. With that being said, this season is a big opportunity for Binnington to regain his form and prove his worth. I don’t expect him to return to his 2019 Cup form, but somewhere in between that and the past few seasons is fine form.

2. Torey Krug, Defense
$6.5 million AAV through the 2026-27 Season

It seemed like the Blues were going to trade Torey Krug this summer, but a deal was called off after he declined to waive his no-trade clause to the Philadelphia Flyers in the Kevin Hayes trade. Of course, the Blues went back to the drawing board and still acquired Hayes, but only for a mere future sixth-round pick. When the Blues signed Krug in 2020, it seemed like he would be their Alex Pietrangelo replacement, but that wasn’t their intention and hasn’t been the case.

Injuries were an issue for Krug with the Boston Bruins, and that hasn’t changed much with the Blues. He’s appeared in fewer than 70 games over the past two seasons, but he did play in 51 of 56 games in his first season with the Blues. His offensive numbers took a hefty dip last season, but they were close to on par with his career in Boston in the two seasons prior. The reason why this is one of the Blues’ worst contracts is his lack of defensive skill, but the Blues should have expected this when they signed him. He’s a good power-play quarterback and passer, but his durability and defensive issues have overtaken that in the past couple of seasons. I would be surprised if Krug plays out the rest of this contract in St. Louis, but stranger things have happened.

1. Colton Parayko, Defense
$6.5 million AAV through the 2029-30 Season

I never thought the Colton Parayko extension was a good idea, but the Blues went ahead with it prior to the 2022-23 season, giving him an eight-year extension. His play was declining before the extension was ever signed, but the Blues believed he would bounce back after back issues lingered in 2020-21. This contract was yet another example of Armstrong’s lack of awareness when it comes to handing out extensions. I understand wanting to keep the 2019 Cup core together and reward them, but he let their best defenseman, Pietrangelo, walk over a no-movement clause dispute.

Parayko’s defense and skating have taken a major step backward over the past few seasons after he was, at one time, viewed as one of the league’s best defensive defensemen. He also doesn’t have much use for his heavy slap shot as he refuses to shoot the puck on a consistent basis. it doesn’t help that the Blues have been unable to find a steady and reliable left-handed partner for him after Jay Bouwmeester retired, but that can’t be a major excuse for Parayko’s drop-off in play. This contract is going to be a tough one to look at on the Blues’ salary cap table for many more seasons to come.

Honorable mention contracts such as Nick Leddy, Marco Scandella, and Justin Faulk nearly cracked the list, but these three seemed pretty clear to me. The Blues will contend for a playoff spot this season, but it’s hard not to imagine what this roster could look like on the blue line if Armstrong did things differently after winning the Cup in 2019. However, the past is the past and the Blues must look forward.
I have zero concerns about the Binnington contract. Hofer's next contract will be during the last two years of Binnington's and if he pans out we will be able to find a way to pay him.

We're obviously stuck with Krug's until the last couple years of his (who he is willing to move to) unless we find a comparable contract that someone else wants to dump and make a swap.

Hopefully Krug and Parayko turn things around.

BluesSK wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:23 pm Hopefully Krug and Parayko turn things around.
Can’t tell you how sick I am of saying that about 55. So many years already of saying that. I’ve come to the conclusion he is just never going to be the player he was, let alone the player he should be, and any contract of his is awful. Should have been traded at his peak (when he was still underperforming) for high value assets. You won’t get that for either of these guys, even if you could move them.

Binner’s isn’t a great contract, either. But I get it. The kid just won you a Cup, what are you going to do, fight with him about a year or two?

Parayko has had such a polarizing career. He was that guy that use to be, "I hope he takes that next step" "gets physical" "uses his shot" to now "hope he turns it around." "gets healthy".

I don't think at any point in his career he's been who fans and management have hoped he was, he's always just been exactly who he is. A fine 2nd pairing d-man.

The fact that his contract is the worst on the team(I agree) and Army tried to trade for Sanheim who is basically the EXACT same player with the exact same terrible contract is laughable to me. I will never bad mouth Krug, he saved this franchise.

T.C. wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:50 am
BluesSK wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:23 pm Hopefully Krug and Parayko turn things around.
Can’t tell you how sick I am of saying that about 55. So many years already of saying that. I’ve come to the conclusion he is just never going to be the player he was, let alone the player he should be, and any contract of his is awful. Should have been traded at his peak (when he was still underperforming) for high value assets. You won’t get that for either of these guys, even if you could move them.

Binner’s isn’t a great contract, either. But I get it. The kid just won you a Cup, what are you going to do, fight with him about a year or two?
I was concerned when they started talking about the back issues. I guess the best I can hope for is for someone to be able to play #1 minutes and for him to move down, play less minutes and have a decent pairing. I think we would see some improvement then but that's a lot to ask right now.

Nothing wrong with the Parayko and Binner contracts. Binner won us a Cup. He earned it and he's still a valuable goalie to have IMO. He's just liable to turn it on again in May and June. The Krug signing, yeah, Army got caught up in the Petro saga and went after the small guy with a big name. It's not working out and he over saddled the defensive group with the Leddy signing as well.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:25 am Parayko has had such a polarizing career. He was that guy that use to be, "I hope he takes that next step" "gets physical" "uses his shot" to now "hope he turns it around." "gets healthy".

I don't think at any point in his career he's been who fans and management have hoped he was, he's always just been exactly who he is. A fine 2nd pairing d-man.

The fact that his contract is the worst on the team(I agree) and Army tried to trade for Sanheim who is basically the EXACT same player with the exact same terrible contract is laughable to me. I will never bad mouth Krug, he saved this franchise.
I will never bad mouth Krug as I was excited when we signed him, knowing his play in Boston.

I am earnestly curious on your take of how he saved the franchise? Not meaning to cut your opinion down or anything negative-just curious
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:00 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:25 am Parayko has had such a polarizing career. He was that guy that use to be, "I hope he takes that next step" "gets physical" "uses his shot" to now "hope he turns it around." "gets healthy".

I will never bad mouth Krug as I was excited when we signed him, knowing his play in Boston.

I am earnestly curious on your take of how he saved the franchise? Not meaning to cut your opinion down or anything negative-just curious
By blocking the trade and the team getting themselves locked into another 8 year bad contract on a big soft underperforming d-man. There's a reason Philly desperately tried to get out of that contract before it even kicked in and found no takers. At least with Krug's contract it only has 4 years left and IF he can go out this year and return to being a dominate PP specialist, I think the team will be able to move him. Two seasons ago the Blues had a great PP and a big part of it was him, especially with the cap bumped teams will get. Both dropped off last year. I have hopes of the PP turning around this year.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:12 am
Ozzies09tc wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:00 am

By blocking the trade and the team getting themselves locked into another 8 year bad contract on a big soft underperforming d-man. There's a reason Philly desperately tried to get out of that contract before it even kicked in and found no takers. At least with Krug's contract it only has 4 years left and IF he can go out this year and return to being a dominate PP specialist, I think the team will be able to move him. Two seasons ago the Blues had a great PP and a big part of it was him, especially with the cap bumped teams will get. Both dropped off last year. I have hopes of the PP turning around this year.
OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH. I thought you were meaning the initial signing of him. That makes sense and wholeheartedly agree!

Not unusual for Pacific Rim hockey players to pick up some off-season ice time in Australia. Equally likely for Nathan Walker to do the same, especially since he played 7 games for the Australian Ice Hockey League Sydney Ice Dogs (refer to his practice jersey) back in the 2009-11 time frame. So I guess you can consider the social media posts as part of a slow Blues news(?) day.

JMC-STL wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:52 pm Not unusual for Pacific Rim hockey players to pick up some off-season ice time in Australia. Equally likely for Nathan Walker to do the same, especially since he played 7 games for the Australian Ice Hockey League Sydney Ice Dogs (refer to his practice jersey) back in the 2009-11 time frame. So I guess you can consider the social media posts as part of a slow Blues news(?) day.
One of these years I'm gonna catch some Division IV or Asian developmental tournaments when they are hosted in Manila. Most of the rinks are in shopping malls so it's kind of fun to watch.

It would be great to see some players of Filipino descent take some time to build more interest in the game there.

BluesSK wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:01 pm
JMC-STL wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:52 pmNot unusual for Pacific Rim hockey players to pick up some off-season ice time in Australia. Equally likely for Nathan Walker to do the same, especially since he played 7 games for the Australian Ice Hockey League Sydney Ice Dogs (refer to his practice jersey) back in the 2009-11 time frame. So I guess you can consider the social media posts as part of a slow Blues news(?) day.
One of these years I'm gonna catch some Division IV or Asian developmental tournaments when they are hosted in Manila. Most of the rinks are in shopping malls so it's kind of fun to watch.

It would be great to see some players of Filipino descent take some time to build more interest in the game there.
The Blues used to practice in a shopping mall. It wasn't even kind of fun to watch. Maybe they needed some tips from a Filipino retail marketing consultant.

JMC-STL wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:40 am
BluesSK wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:01 pm
JMC-STL wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:52 pmNot unusual for Pacific Rim hockey players to pick up some off-season ice time in Australia. Equally likely for Nathan Walker to do the same, especially since he played 7 games for the Australian Ice Hockey League Sydney Ice Dogs (refer to his practice jersey) back in the 2009-11 time frame. So I guess you can consider the social media posts as part of a slow Blues news(?) day.

The Blues used to practice in a shopping mall. It wasn't even kind of fun to watch. Maybe they needed some tips from a Filipino retail marketing consultant.
Mall culture is crazy there. I live within a mile of 7 major shopping malls. And in some of these malls they encompass a wide range of activities, like skating, archery, racquet sports etc. in addition to the usual things. So it really is a kind of a lifestyle.

They aren't dying like in North America because there really isn't the room for urban sprawl and it's a great place to meet up.

BluesSK wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:03 pm
BluesSK wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:01 pmOne of these years I'm gonna catch some Division IV or Asian developmental tournaments when they are hosted in Manila. Most of the rinks are in shopping malls so it's kind of fun to watch.

Mall culture is crazy there. I live within a mile of 7 major shopping malls. And in some of these malls they encompass a wide range of activities, like skating, archery, racquet sports etc. in addition to the usual things. So it really is a kind of a lifestyle.

They aren't dying like in North America because there really isn't the room for urban sprawl and it's a great place to meet up.
Some malls that are still open in the U.S. have shooting galleries. But that's a different kinda "lifestyle" ... :?

JMC-STL wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:58 pm
BluesSK wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:03 pm

Some malls that are still open in the U.S. have shooting galleries. But that's a different kinda "lifestyle" ... :?
Yeah. Times sure have changed.