Re: Blues 2022-2023 season thread

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:43 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:15 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:55 pm

Sure seems like he’s just their version of Parayko. A guy you paid to be your top pairing guy and quickly realized that was a mistake and now they are bailing out before his NTC kicks in (July 1).

Army is trying to fix one mistake by bringing in another. No thanks!!
Reasonable. Still think he fits better on this roster than Krug, particularly it Perunovich is healthy.
I will not disagree with that. But giving up a first and taking on another 8 year contract that runs a guy through mid 30's with a NTC who is already underperforming that contract before it's even started just to unload the last 4 years of Krug? I'm struggling to see the worth for the Blues side.
I don't get it either. I'd take a couple of years of pain over that.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:43 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:15 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:55 pm

Sure seems like he’s just their version of Parayko. A guy you paid to be your top pairing guy and quickly realized that was a mistake and now they are bailing out before his NTC kicks in (July 1).

Army is trying to fix one mistake by bringing in another. No thanks!!
Reasonable. Still think he fits better on this roster than Krug, particularly it Perunovich is healthy.
I will not disagree with that. But giving up a first and taking on another 8 year contract that runs a guy through mid 30's with a NTC who is already underperforming that contract before it's even started just to unload the last 4 years of Krug? I'm struggling to see the worth for the Blues side.
The disclaimer that should go on all of my posts on this topic should read "This is Dave presenting the argument in favor of the trade. It does not necessarily reflect his own opinion. If Dave disagrees, that's probably a good argument in favor of the trade, but that's neither here nor there." Anyway on with the comment!

The other side of it is you get Hayes at let's assume 50%. He's a playmaker on a team that could use one. He's bad defensively but still his total package at around $3.75 would easily be better than anything you could get for the current crop of UFA Cs. Also, for what it's worth Hayes is supposed to be fantastic in the room, which might benefit a team that supposedly had issues there last year, but who knows. I feel like most the conversations about the supposed deal have focused on how "the first round pick isn't worth X", with X only being one part of the deal. You've got to look at the whole thing

Out:
-Krug (plus his problematic contract)
-Pick 25 or 29

In:
-Hayes (plus his now non problematic contract, but possibly a shade long)
-Sanheim (And his long contract that may or may not prove to be problematic)

Personally I think all the contracts involved won't look so bad after next season when the cap starts growing again. In conclusion...whatever.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

I really think the Blues would be better off keeping their picks and giving Krug the chance to re-establish himself early in the season, as well as giving him a chance to see which teams he might like to be a part of and would waive his NTC for. Same with Leddy, Parayko (who I honestly think we should keep), and possibly Scandella (though I don't think he's moveable under any circumstances). With a few smaller, in-season moves we can likely compete for a playoff spot (for the much-needed revenue) and be in a stronger position as an organization top-to-bottom next year and going forward.

BluesSK wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:30 pm Hold on, Sanheim has an 8 year 50 million deal about to kick in?? EFF that! Hold strong Torey!!
Another reason why I've been asking whether this potential deal is really worth it.
Just send him back to Boston with a picture of him slamming Barbashev in the Finals.
Say, here's your boy back. Didn't work out.

With love,
From the team that kicked your ass in Game 7

Doug Armstrong

BillP. wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:19 pm
BluesSK wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:30 pm Hold on, Sanheim has an 8 year 50 million deal about to kick in?? EFF that! Hold strong Torey!!
Another reason why I've been asking whether this potential deal is really worth it.
Just send him back to Boston with a picture of him slamming Barbashev in the Finals.
Say, here's your boy back. Didn't work out.

With love,
From the team that kicked your ass in Game 7

Doug Armstrong
That works for me.