Re: News and Games around the NHL

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:11 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:09 pm
I've never been to Calgary, is it just a completely unlivable place? Tkachuk wanted out, Johnny hockey would rather be in Columbus, Hanifan wants out, and now this? Is it the club, the city? Why does no one want to be there?
Old arena and the government is taxing the shit out of people. It's just happening now in Calgary mainly because of the arena but it's going to become a bigger issue going forward.

Calgary is probably the most livable of the Canadian team cities.

BluesSK wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:41 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:09 pm
I've never been to Calgary, is it just a completely unlivable place? Tkachuk wanted out, Johnny hockey would rather be in Columbus, Hanifan wants out, and now this? Is it the club, the city? Why does no one want to be there?
Old arena and the government is taxing the shit out of people. It's just happening now in Calgary mainly because of the arena but it's going to become a bigger issue going forward.

Are they trying to get a new arena there or is it dead in the water?
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:49 pm

They are but it's the usual public vs. private enterprise fighting.

Calgary is a good market. They have no problem with money and attendance but the Saddledome is over 40 years old now.

BluesSK wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:27 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:49 pm

They are but it's the usual public vs. private enterprise fighting.

Calgary is a good market. They have no problem with money and attendance but the Saddledome is over 40 years old now.
Always been a great hockey market, they love it there thats why I was confused by the mass exodus happening. Appreciate the info!

T.C. wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:40 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:11 pm They went from hockey is for everyone to hockey is for no one real quick :lol:
your math doesn't check out.
i'm just saying that no matter where you stand on the issue, from a purely mathematical perspective, 93% of the population isn't "no one", and vice-versa. no number of friends or family members i have that fall into that category is going to change that. also, this doesn't prevent the NHL from selling rainbow jerseys to folks that want one.

i also don't know what the Venn diagram looks like of LGBTQ+ folks who are non-hockey fans that would see the NHL wearing rainbow jerseys during warm-ups and become hockey fans vs NHL fans who don't care about teams wearing rainbow jerseys during warmups that would stop supporting the NHL because of it, but probably best to just, you know, play hockey. anyone of any persuasion who wants to watch is welcome to do so. seems to me plenty of issues the NHL could focus on fixing, like the huge percentage of hockey fans who are unable to watch games, for example, that would have more of an effect. shrug.

T.C. wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:13 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:11 pm They went from hockey is for everyone to hockey is for no one real quick :lol:
i'm just saying that no matter where you stand on the issue, from a purely mathematical perspective, 93% of the population isn't "no one", and vice-versa. no number of friends or family members i have that fall into that category is going to change that. also, this doesn't prevent the NHL from selling rainbow jerseys to folks that want one.

i also don't know what the Venn diagram looks like of LGBTQ+ folks who are non-hockey fans that would see the NHL wearing rainbow jerseys during warm-ups and become hockey fans vs NHL fans who don't care about teams wearing rainbow jerseys during warmups that would stop supporting the NHL because of it, but probably best to just, you know, play hockey. anyone of any persuasion who wants to watch is welcome to do so. seems to me plenty of issues the NHL could focus on fixing, like the huge percentage of hockey fans who are unable to watch games, for example, that would have more of an effect. shrug.
Pregame jerseys weren't only worn for Pride nights. There's military appreciation jerseys, hockey fights cancer(the two in the original tweet), St Patricks day, black history etc etc..that is what I was referencing in my tweet about hockey is for no one. If the NHL just scraped the pride night pregame jerseys then yes, you'd be correct but they decided to scrap everything because some grown men are afraid of seeing bright colors during the pregame warm up of games they probably didn't even attend. It's just lame outrage and the NHL caved to an issue that 99% of the players had no problem with. The whole issue has been made a much bigger deal than it should be. Players shouldn't be forced to participate or punished if they don't and the league should've continued to go with it. But that's the NHL.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:35 am
T.C. wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:13 am

Pregame jerseys weren't only worn for Pride nights. There's military appreciation jerseys, hockey fights cancer(the two in the original tweet), St Patricks day, black history etc etc..that is what I was referencing in my tweet about hockey is for no one. If the NHL just scraped the pride night pregame jerseys then yes, you'd be correct but they decided to scrap everything because some grown men are afraid of seeing bright colors during the pregame warm up of games they probably didn't even attend. It's just lame outrage and the NHL caved to an issue that 99% of the players had no problem with. The whole issue has been made a much bigger deal than it should be. Players shouldn't be forced to participate or punished if they don't and the league should've continued to go with it. But that's the NHL.
lol, they scrapped all special nights? i didn't read the link, just went by the pics. that's a ridiculous overreaction that screams of having no balls. reminds me of a place i used to work where ONE GUY would constantly fall asleep at his desk. rather than disciplining that ONE GUY, the entire department got an hour long lecture about sleeping at your desk. ridiculous.

All they need to do to monetize it and not offend anyone is have a, warm up jersey, a practice jersey etc. that is focused on the team only.

When you as a business dabble in social issues someone is guaranteed to be offended, no matter what it is. So from a business standpoint I really don't see the point of it.

BluesSK wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:46 am All they need to do to monetize it and not offend anyone is have a, warm up jersey, a practice jersey etc. that is focused on the team only.

When you as a business dabble in social issues someone is guaranteed to be offended, no matter what it is. So from a business standpoint I really don't see the point of it.
If a business offers 20 products you like and 1 product you don't like, going up to the manager and asking them to remove that one product because you personally don't like it seems like weird behavior to me but who am I to judge I guess? The Blues red jerseys offend a lot more people than these pride night pregame jerseys did but here they are still running em out there. Oh well, I look forward to digital ads across players visors to make up any lost revenue.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:54 am
BluesSK wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:46 am All they need to do to monetize it and not offend anyone is have a, warm up jersey, a practice jersey etc. that is focused on the team only.

If a business offers 20 products you like and 1 product you don't like, going up to the manager and asking them to remove that one product because you personally don't like it seems like weird behavior to me but who am I to judge I guess? The Blues red jerseys offend a lot more people than these pride night pregame jerseys did but here they are still running em out there. Oh well, I look forward to digital ads across players visors to make up any lost revenue.
I'm offended by Louie...

I just said in the last response how they can monetize it without offending people. They could have a new practice and warmup jersey every season.

If you anger 5% of your customer base everytime it doesn't take long until you are only catering to a certain customer instead of them all.

Or even worse, you alienate everyone. Social activism in any form is not the NHL's business.

BluesSK wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:07 am

I just said in the last response how they can monetize it without offending people. They could have a new practice and warmup jersey every season.

If you anger 5% of your customer base everytime it doesn't take long until you are only catering to a certain customer instead of them all.

Or even worse, you alienate everyone. Social activism in any form is not the NHL's business.
I just personally wouldn't care about angering a small % of grown men who are so bored with their home life that this is what gets them offended, something that doesn't even impact them. If you're going to cave then have the balls to get rid of the pride PREGAME jerseys and leave everything else. But Gary is clearly a better business man than me.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:21 am
BluesSK wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:07 am

I just personally wouldn't care about angering a small % of grown men who are so bored with their home life that this is what gets them offended, something that doesn't even impact them. If you're going to cave then have the balls to get rid of the pride PREGAME jerseys and leave everything else. But Gary is clearly a better business man than me.
They should get rid of everything else. No argument there.

big d note wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:42 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:17 pm I feel bad for the Coyotes fans that read "three year deal" and were hoping it was for a grown up arena.

LOL, I just looked up the arena in Tucson and it actually has more seats than Mullett Arena. Imagine getting called up to the NHL and playing in a smaller facility.
They are finished in Arizona. This has to be the last season there.

big d note wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:42 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:17 pm I feel bad for the Coyotes fans that read "three year deal" and were hoping it was for a grown up arena.

LOL, I just looked up the arena in Tucson and it actually has more seats than Mullett Arena. Imagine getting called up to the NHL and playing in a smaller facility.
That's amazing.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!