Re: Blues 2022-2023 season thread

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:52 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:36 pm Hopefully Perunovich gets some ice time, he sure needs it.

Blais and Neighbours make the Canada team. Fantilli is on it too which should be a fun watch
Hofer added to the Team Canada roster. He could be a mainstay there for years to come with Canada's current goalie development drought.

This Armstrong quote was the closing line of the article I mentioned in the Draft thread, but seemed more appropriate for this one:
We’ve done a ‘deep dive’ into what happened this year, and that’s going to stay behind closed doors, but I really don’t see that happening two years in a row.
We've all assumed there are some potentially large roster moves this offseason, but its not going to be too hard to read between the lines if some players seem to be given away for nothing. If a productive player is moved for an underwhelming return like Oshie years ago it'd make me wonder if there was an ugly locker room situation.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:55 pm This Armstrong quote was the closing line of the article I mentioned in the Draft thread, but seemed more appropriate for this one:
We’ve done a ‘deep dive’ into what happened this year, and that’s going to stay behind closed doors, but I really don’t see that happening two years in a row.
We've all assumed there are some potentially large roster moves this offseason, but its not going to be too hard to read between the lines if some players seem to be given away for nothing. If a productive player is moved for an underwhelming return like Oshie years ago it'd make me wonder if there was an ugly locker room situation.
Yeah. That is interesting. I would think two kids who are about to be the highest paid players on the team and who didn't really earn it this season might have something to do with it.

I mean what dynamic changed from the successful season before to this season? Perron gone and the contracts for Thomas and Kyrou.

BluesSK wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:32 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:55 pm This Armstrong quote was the closing line of the article I mentioned in the Draft thread, but seemed more appropriate for this one:
Yeah. That is interesting. I would think two kids who are about to be the highest paid players on the team and who didn't really earn it this season might have something to do with it.

I mean what dynamic changed from the successful season before to this season? Perron gone and the contracts for Thomas and Kyrou.
Teams don't win with lackluster *effort* defensive forwards matching up against the other team's top players. It doesn't matter how strong the offensive output is from the player. Not in the playoffs.

As I'm watching the playoffs this year, I'm reminded of Kyrou halfassing it on the Mackinnon coast to coast goal last year. And if memory serves he also loafed the play where DARREN HELM ended our season in the year 2022. And then I remember Marchand coming off at the end of the first in Game Seven a few years ago...only to the effect of saying I hope that he particularly steps up his effort/energy conservation/wtf ever to max out his skill and be the best player he can for the Blues. Now, unfortunately, there's other issues too, and a part of me still worries with Armstrong's comments he's too favorable of some pieces of the team.

Then again, any memory of his track record makes clear he says what he wants other GMs to hear so who the fuck know what's gonna happen.

I agree with all of that - kyrou is not nearly strong enough, and has mostly appeared to not give a shit unless the puck is going north. But… he acknowledges both of these things in the end of season interview he gave, and says those are his #1 priorities in the off-season. Also, i don’t know who else is going to score 40 goals for the blues on this roster, so i get giving him money. If he had given a little bit more of a shit and not been so pass-happy when he shouldn’t be, he could have hit that mark this season and been the first to do so since brad boyes.

Note: all of my comments are based on the highlights I saw as I was unable to watch any full games. That should be the #1 priority of the league.

The Kyrou thing is frustrating, but like TC alluded to, scoring loads of goals isn't something to brush aside. You can have an all offense player or two if you've got a good set of players around him. Kane and Ovechkin have been doing the all offense routine for almost 20 years now, and it's worked. I think any forward related moves add toughness and forechecking.

The biggest issues in my opinion remain the blue line and overall lack of team identity. The Blues became an easy team to play against last year, probably for the first time since around 2008. Not all the teams since then were great, but they were at least a pain in the ass for the opposition. I bet Armstrong addresses that both with his roster and coaching hires.

Two things about Kyrou. First of all, if he's matching up against the other times top lines, that's a coaching issue not a Kyrou issue. Especially if you're on home ice.

Secondly, I feel like the Blues had a lot of these same concerns for Perron early in his career and he bought in to becoming a more complete player.

Kyrou will be fine in my opinion. But the Blues need to build a team around him that complements what he does well and what he doesn't do well.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:02 am Two things about Kyrou. First of all, if he's matching up against the other times top lines, that's a coaching issue not a Kyrou issue. Especially if you're on home ice.

Secondly, I feel like the Blues had a lot of these same concerns for Perron early in his career and he bought in to becoming a more complete player.

Kyrou will be fine in my opinion. But the Blues need to build a team around him that complements what he does well and what he doesn't do well.
I think all of that is true. It was an issue, but it's correctable. The coaching didn't help anything last year. If Berube has 2 years left on his deal. His contract kept him safe last year, but I think if things go of the rails next year he's going to be in trouble.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:33 amJR breaks down potential landing spots for Krug, Leddy, Parayko, Scandella and let me tell you it's an incredibly depressing read. We are stuck with these dudes. Seems like our best hope is to pay Chicago to help us.

https://theathletic.com/4552830/2023/05 ... nse-trade/
The Blues back line will be 🔥 next season, after all the rest they got in '22-'23.

And BTW, I would've been happy for your post to end at: "JR breaks down" ...

BluesSK wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:06 pm Crazy how this whole deal with the Rangers worked out. Blais World Champion final hero.
He always had skill. Jeff Gordon of the STL PD thought highly of him when he was in the AHL. It’s all about getting a consistent opportunity to prove what you can do. Hopefully he can continue to play a top 9 role next year and stay healthy. That’s his biggest issue. If he can stay healthy, I think he’ll be fine. If he can prove his offensive worth, hopefully he’ll tone down that assassin mentality to hit everything in sight. That right there might help keep him healthy.

BillP wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:12 pm
BluesSK wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:06 pm Crazy how this whole deal with the Rangers worked out. Blais World Champion final hero.
He always had skill. Jeff Gordon of the STL PD thought highly of him when he was in the AHL. It’s all about getting a consistent opportunity to prove what you can do. Hopefully he can continue to play a top 9 role next year and stay healthy. That’s his biggest issue. If he can stay healthy, I think he’ll be fine. If he can prove his offensive worth, hopefully he’ll tone down that assassin mentality to hit everything in sight. That right there might help keep him healthy.
I like how you mention the part about getting a consistent opportunity. He really seems to have taken advantage of every opportunity he has been given. (With the Blues at least)

He had a bit of bad luck with the Rangers but I think they thought they were getting a different player than what he really is.

I didn't think much of him when he first came up to the Blues but he's earned it, so full credit to him.

Perunovich putting up 8 points in 10 games is SO important to the Blues team next year. I am getting my hopes up about him and ready for him to hurt me again.

Canada (Gold)
Blais: 10 games, 6G, 2A
Neighbours: 10 game, 1G, 4A
Hofer: 2 games, 1-1-0, 1.46 GAA, .925 save percentage

USA (4th)
Perunovich: 10 games, 1G, 7A

Finland (7th)
Kapanen: 8 games, 3G, 2A
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:19 am Perunovich putting up 8 points in 10 games is SO important to the Blues team next year. I am getting my hopes up about him and ready for him to hurt me again.

Canada (Gold)
Blais: 10 games, 6G, 2A
Neighbours: 10 game, 1G, 4A
Hofer: 2 games, 1-1-0, 1.46 GAA, .925 save percentage

USA (4th)
Perunovich: 10 games, 1G, 7A

Finland (7th)
Kapanen: 8 games, 3G, 2A
I'm keeping my expectations low. I really don't care about his production right now more than i care about him being stable on defense and being injury free.