Re: Blues 2022-2023 season thread

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:01 pm That’s an interesting claim. He’s got a 3.2 mil cap hit next year

He also is just switching dressing rooms for todays game

Perhaps taking the roster spot of a slightly less expensive but more valuable forward in the not too distant future...
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:10 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:01 pm That’s an interesting claim. He’s got a 3.2 mil cap hit next year

He also is just switching dressing rooms for todays game

Perhaps taking the roster spot of a slightly less expensive but more valuable forward in the not too distant future...
Perhaps helping Pittsburgh with their cap situation and presaging another deal to send Barbashev there for their 1st round pick, with salary retained?

I don't remember much about Kapanen except his draft but his offensive stats have basically regressed almost every season he's been in the League. Hopefully he can turn it around.

BluesSK wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:12 pm I don't remember much about Kapanen except his draft but his offensive stats have basically regressed almost every season he's been in the League. Hopefully he can turn it around.
All I remember is that he's fast. Pens fans seem pretty happy he's off the books though.

From the 2 minutes of research I just did, it seems like the top 4 or so Vegas prospects would be a nice return for Barbashev. I believe the makeup if that top 4 is 1 D, 2 Cs, 1 LW.

It's Zach Dean. He sounds a lot like the guy he was traded for:
19 years old | 6-foot | 176 pounds | Shoots left

Drafted: No. 30 in 2021
Tier: Middle of the lineup player

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: Below NHL average
Compete: Above NHL average
Shot: Above NHL average

Analysis: Dean didn’t have an overly productive QMJHL season, but I still think you have to like the way he plays. Dean’s game is fast and direct with a high motor in his shifts. He has good skills and can shoot the puck, but I don’t know if he’s ever going to be a true play driver in the NHL and put up big numbers. I think his game is well-rounded enough he can be a middle-six forward though, whether it’s at center or wing is to be determined.

From Scott Wheeler a month ago.

3. Zach Dean, C, 20 (Gatineau Olympiques)
Despite good but uninspiring production and a history of injuries, you won’t find many scouts who are down on Dean because he plays such a likable game. Between his hard work, his constant application of pressure, his always-in-motion movement with or without the puck, the trust he earns, his willingness to attack the interior, the tempo he plays with and sets physically, his details along the wall, and the little plays he makes around the ice in give-and-goes, he plays a pro-style game. Mix in fast hands, a strong neutral-zone game as a carrier, a smooth and flowing stride with good power, advanced athleticism and a muscular build, a decent one-timer, and you’ve got the makings of a driver who can play through contact and make plays. I’m looking forward to watching him when the games get tight in the QMJHL playoffs, because Gatineau has title aspirations and he’s going to have to lead the charge. He projects as your prototypical third-line center.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Seems like a nice pickup for Barbashev. He’s probably not any higher value than some of the F prospects we have already, but a guy that looks like a lock to be on an NHL roster before too long is probably better than a second round pick. Given that we've already got 3 first rounders this year, you don't want too much of a cluster in one year I suppose.

Dave's a mess wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:38 am Seems like a nice pickup for Barbashev. He’s probably not any higher value than some of the F prospects we have already, but a guy that looks like a lock to be on an NHL roster before too long is probably better than a second round pick. Given that we've already got 3 first rounders this year, you don't want too much of a cluster in one year I suppose.
Yeah, I think it's first round value. Much happier getting him than a second round pick because 1. I think he's better than someone you'll get in round 2 and 2. He's closer to reaching the NHL

Out:
Vladimir Tarasenko
Ryan O’Reilly
Niko Mikkola
Noel Acciari
Ivan Barbashev

In:
Hunter Skinner
Mikhail Abramov
Zach Dean
Sammy Blais
Adam Gaudette
2023 1st (NYR/DAL)
2023 1st (TOR)
2023 3rd (OTT)
2024 2nd (TOR)
2024 3rd (NYR)

So all the UFAs of note are gone. That assumes they're not flipping Blais. They could move Greiss for a little something if they're OK with Hofer finishing out the season as the backup.

I'm happy with Zach Dean as the return for Barbie. He's only 20, and will grow into his body, and he's sharing time in a heavy lineup of quality players. He plays with the right attitude and seems very motivated. I'm hoping he'll end up closer to a Snuggerud-tier player would be at centre than a Neighbours-level one. He should be a 2nd-3rd Line Tweener, on a good team. He looks to outdo what a late 2nd Rounder would bring, and I doubted that Barbie would bring back a 1st Rounder, in any case. We've replenished the prospect cabinet on the forward side. But, now Army has to work some magic on the denfensive front, getting rid of a couple of the bad contracts, and getting, at least one high-level young NHL defenceman, and another, as a high-level D-man prospect.