Re: 2021 St. Louis Blues Thread

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:04 am
Turk Sanderson wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:59 am Players who leave here of their own accord, as free agents, shouldn’t get that honor…. If they weren’t offered a contract, or traded, then that’s on the team.
So are we taking #16 down?
Nope… Keenan fucked him up…. Mother Teresa wouldn’t have had enough patience to put up with Keenan… and she wasn’t much of a goal scorer.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:32 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:04 am
Turk Sanderson wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:59 am Players who leave here of their own accord, as free agents, shouldn’t get that honor…. If they weren’t offered a contract, or traded, then that’s on the team.
So are we taking #16 down?
Nope… Keenan fucked him up…. Mother Teresa wouldn’t have had enough patience to put up with Keenan… and she wasn’t much of a goal scorer.
A very one sided account here, but a very relevant account nonetheless:
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Hull was creating problems before Keenan got here. Remember The Golden Bratt story in the Globe Democrat?
Then Blues let Hull walk. Then both Dallas and Detroit let him walk after only one season.
Bottom line,the Blues were guilty of allowing Hull to create his own little Kingdom in the first place,, because he sold tickets.

barnburner wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:25 pm Hull was creating problems before Keenan got here. Remember The Golden Bratt story in the Globe Democrat?
Then Blues let Hull walk. Then both Dallas and Detroit let him walk after only one season.
Bottom line,the Blues were guilty of allowing Hull to create his own little Kingdom in the first place,, because he sold tickets.
If I remember correctly the Blues offered him a 3 year deal that he turned down because they wouldn't include a NTC. Dallas offered I think a million more and the NTC and he left.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:02 am
barnburner wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:25 pm Hull was creating problems before Keenan got here. Remember The Golden Bratt story in the Globe Democrat?
If I remember correctly the Blues offered him a 3 year deal that he turned down because they wouldn't include a NTC. Dallas offered I think a million more and the NTC and he left.
Could be right. Not the first thing this old brain has forgot.

In the clip I posted above Hull claims he actually made up the NTC story so the Blues would have PR cover. His claim is that the Blues never made a competitive offer and just wanted him out of there. I don't know if that's true of course, but that's the story he's going with.

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:06 am
In the clip I posted above Hull claims he actually made up the NTC story so the Blues would have PR cover. His claim is that the Blues never made a competitive offer and just wanted him out of there. I don't know if that's true of course, but that's the story he's going with.
I'm sure theres 4-5 sides to the story of Hull and his departure. If the Blues wanted him gone, I'm not sure why he'd lie just to help make the team look better but who knows. Sucks it ended how it did but glad he got his cup and that he's also back a part of Blues hockey.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:12 am

I'm sure theres 4-5 sides to the story of Hull and his departure. If the Blues wanted him gone, I'm not sure why he'd lie just to help make the team look better but who knows. Sucks it ended how it did but glad he got his cup and that he's also back a part of Blues hockey.
For sure. It all worked out.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:12 am

IIRC (And my memory may be WAY off), they had 4 significant free agents that off season: Hull, Geoff Courtnall, Steve Duchesne, and Al Macinnis. They kept Courtnall and Al, but then Courts got suckerpunched by Owen Nolan the following season (98-99) and ended up only playing 30 total NHL games from 1998-2000 before retiring because of concussions. What would have happened if they'd kept Hull instead of Courtnall? Or if Courtnall had been able to stay healthy and contributed to some of those late-90's and early 2000's teams?

BluesSK wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:33 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:11 pm Not sure if this makes me feel better or worse. Long thread, but worth a click.
I want to see if Husso has what it takes to be a regular starter.

We need consistency and sadly, Binnington isn't providing it. Not taking tonight into account either. That was a complete team disaster.
Lots of possibilities out there. Among them:
-Normal goalie ebb and flow of 82 game season.
-Husso never faces hard competition (exept when Binnington had covid).
-Team skates harder when backup is in net.
-Binnington took his foot off the gas now that he got paid.
-Husso is just on a heater.
-Binnington is our Niemi and Husso is our Crawford.

Could be a combo of any or all of them, but as always, my official take is that "goalies are weird".