Re: 2021 Trade Deadline Thread

BillP. wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:51 pm Caps overpaid way too much. Yzerman killed it on this deal. Vrana alone is damn good.
In case you're wondering what Bill was talking about...

That's a lot for Mantha, but who knows what he does on a team with more than one above replacement level NHL forward.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:55 pm
BillP. wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:51 pm Caps overpaid way too much. Yzerman killed it on this deal. Vrana alone is damn good.

That's a lot for Mantha, but who knows what he does on a team with more than one above replacement level NHL forward.
I...don't understand this trade. I feel like I'd rather have Vrana than Maantha.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:38 pm

I...don't understand this trade. I feel like I'd rather have Vrana than Maantha.
At first glance, I thought it was a salary dump by the Caps.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:05 pm
Matangama wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:08 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:01 pm No trades???? I SHAVED MY BALLS FOR THIS!?
Now that is funny!

Uhhh, or awkward if you’re serious. Either way, do be careful!
People can mock but all I’m seeing is i’m the only one who showed up prepared for whatever today could’ve brought
Hey, I stayed up through the Carter trade before I crashed.... JMC probably had already had two diaper changes by then. The only one who had a worse night's sleep than me, was Mike Hoffman.

As a caps fan...this is a total headscratcher for me as well
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou

Ozzies09tc wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:25 pm

Vrana must have the crabs or something

Ozzies09tc wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:25 pm

I guess they feel they need a power forward who can score? No other explanation. Still overpaid IMO.

I think that is a helluva trade for Washington. Mantha has beast potential in the right situation and I believe Washington is the perfect place for him. I believe it’s a win for the Caps.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:47 am I think that is a helluva trade for Washington. Mantha has beast potential in the right situation and I believe Washington is the perfect place for him. I believe it’s a win for the Caps.
The teams have such different needs that I think the people asking "WTF is Washington doing?!?!" are missing the point, because the answer is "trying to win a Cup." Mantha is a big upgrade over Vrana, and they needed to clear Panik's cap space for the next couple years to have room for him going forward. In structure, this deal is very similar to the Schenn trade with Philly. We gave up a first for Schenn, then another first for the Flyers to take Lehtera and his contract off our books.

Thing is, while that trade was crucial to our Cup win, Philly is also happy with how it turned out (particularly since Lehtera coked himself off their books as well). This deal could work out the same way, as a win for both sides, but I've grown tired of the Yzerman worship. He's done a good job, but they're still ages away from being competitive.

NHLTIM wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:47 am I think that is a helluva trade for Washington. Mantha has beast potential in the right situation and I believe Washington is the perfect place for him. I believe it’s a win for the Caps.
After taking a second look at this trade, I am enjoying it.

Vrana is a rich man's robbi fabbri and with next to no scouting or minor league games to jusge....a 1st rounder is a crap shoot at best.

Having mantha and wilson is like having chaser and twister but able to score and play important minutes
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou

Ozzies09tc wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:16 pm

Vrana is a rich man's robbi fabbri and with next to no scouting or minor league games to jusge....a 1st rounder is a crap shoot at best.

Having mantha and wilson is like having chaser and twister but able to score and play important minutes
Caps might just be done. Been tooting their horn the last 2 years and they haven’t come close since. They should of had another Finals appearance in them but I’m not so sure now. If they don’t do it this year then they just might be pretenders from here on out. Best move they made was hiring Trotz and the worst move they made was letting him walk.

BillP. wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:52 am
Ozzies09tc wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:16 pm

Caps might just be done. Been tooting their horn the last 2 years and they haven’t come close since. They should of had another Finals appearance in them but I’m not so sure now. If they don’t do it this year then they just might be pretenders from here on out. Best move they made was hiring Trotz and the worst move they made was letting him walk.
I wouldn't write them off just yet. In 2019 they drew a tough matchup against Carolina who was a sleeping giant and made the conference final. Last year was a BS year after a 4 month layoff. Their window isn't open much longer, but they've got a shot this year. That division is going to be a beast though.

Heard on Dreger/Ferraro podcast that Vegas gave a better offer for Hall, but Hall wanted to go to Boston. Ferraro said he can't believe teams give out trade protection to players. He said the list should only be like this long for players like McDavid, Draisaitl, MacKinnon, Crosby, etc. and that's it.