Re: News and Games around the NHL

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:43 am Stephen A being involved is a good thing. I'd imagine they will use him just like they do in MMA. Some spot commentary on pregame shows here and there. Not a major role. The man has a huge radio show and fanbase, if he's mentioning hockey it'll help the sport more than hurt it.

It's about growing the sport right? It's not like he'll be doing PBP.
Yes, this is something I've been guilty of plenty of times over the years. We complain about hockey not being more popular in the US, but then we jump all over people that say something wrong and cast them aside as second rate fans. I saw it here in Chicago in spades over the last 13 years or so. In that case I didn't mind because nipping a potential future Hawks fan in the bud is just doing the world a favor.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

it's not that he "said something wrong", it's his whole thing that is a turnoff for me. some people like it, i get that. just odd to me that this is the first thing i've seen from ESPN on the new NHL deal, which is the concern. getting a clown involved to hype shit with silly viral clips is something i understand. i'd rather see a clown be a clown then shoehorning someone like JR into clowny things. but leading with said clown is an odd choice.

T.C. wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:11 pm it's not that he "said something wrong", it's his whole thing that is a turnoff for me. some people like it, i get that. just odd to me that this is the first thing i've seen from ESPN on the new NHL deal, which is the concern. getting a clown involved to hype shit with silly viral clips is something i understand. i'd rather see a clown be a clown then shoehorning someone like JR into clowny things. but leading with said clown is an odd choice.
This ×1000

T.C. wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:11 pm it's not that he "said something wrong", it's his whole thing that is a turnoff for me. some people like it, i get that. just odd to me that this is the first thing i've seen from ESPN on the new NHL deal, which is the concern. getting a clown involved to hype shit with silly viral clips is something i understand. i'd rather see a clown be a clown then shoehorning someone like JR into clowny things. but leading with said clown is an odd choice.
I get what you’re saying and I’m not even a fan of his but he’s pretty much the face of the four letter network. They weren’t going to roll out Ray Ferraro or Bucci on it. Linda Cohn has been doing some radio hits about it but we already know she’s a big hockey fan.

Some clowns have big audiences and it’s time for hockey to grow beyond a regional sport. ESPN helps with that.
Just a Russian propaganda account

BillP. wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:58 pm Interesting take by Kerber in the post game the other night. He thinks the Canadiens should expose Carey Price in the expansion draft. He thinks it would be a fascinating move and rock the NHL. Vitale doesn’t think it will happen. Thoughts?
He has a no movement contract. It’s kind of a moot conversation by Kerbs
Last edited by Dread_Pirate_Westley on Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:20 pm
BillP. wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:58 pm Interesting take by Kerber in the post game the other night. He thinks the Canadiens should expose Carey Price in the expansion draft. He thinks it would be a fascinating move and rock the NHL. Vitale doesn’t think it will happen. Thoughts?
He has a no movement contract. It’s kind of a moot conversation by Kerbs
Too bad you weren’t on the air with those guys - ha

Turk Sanderson wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:42 am
BillP. wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:16 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:31 pmThey’re just built different
Another version of air hockey
Instead of sending you to the penalty box, they just open the side door and throw your ass out.
Back story ... Daily Mail: Ice hockey rink is installed by Russian army inside world's largest military plane 'for publicity stunt involving Vladimir Putin'

ETA: For those doing the math in their heads, the AN-124 cargo bay is 118 feet long by 21 feet wide (a bit tight for Euro-rink skaters). So an inch of ice laid down inside the space would weigh just under 155,000 pounds. Easy peasy for a transport aircraft rated to carry over 330,000 pounds of cargo. Presuming they laid down & set the ice in a very cold region of Russia (plenty of those to choose from with runways to suit), the challenge becomes keeping the ice suitable for skating - not to mention simply frozen - inside the aircraft as it's prepared for takeoff & flies out (reportedly in June). The typical outside air temperature @ 33,000 feet = minus 76°F, so maybe Putin's got a chance with this stunt if his comrades can keep the ice being ice. And I'll bet he'd score a triple hat trick on his first shift.
Last edited by JMC-STL on Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:52 am, edited 6 times in total.

If you got a top 10 pick you’re Golden. Everybody else will be winging it.
Just for the record ...my guy this draft has been from day one and will continue to be up to draft time....Matt Beniers.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"