Berglund

Doing nothing but quietly impressing everyone, third in points on the team behind Shatty and the Emperor of the World. Leading the team +5, 2nd in goals with 2 and shooting pct of 40. He's not flashy, flies under radar and pounds nails in coffins.

Re: Berglund

People always talk about the need for players to find the "next gear" in the playoffs...Berglund appears to actually be able to do that. Hopefully Oshie can follow suit. Thought he played his best game in awhile last night

I called this a few weeks ago. He is our version of Brian Bickell and Dustin Penner.

It couldn't come at a better time. He helps lead is to a Stanley Cup. His value skyrockets. We are back in the first round at the draft.

I think Berglund mystifies some people because as big as he is he doesn't hit very hard or very often. People expect him with that body type to be a more offensively gifted version of Ryan Reaves. He's simply not that type of player, but he does do other things very well that you want on a team such as this. As others probably could point out he's very good at protecting the puck with his body most of the time, and plays well along the boards, especially in the offensive zone when he's waiting for his teammates to either run a line change or get in position.

He was drafted high so I think that's why people expect him to be an offensive force. He's really turned it up the last week of the season and going into the playoffs and he makes the bottom half of our forward lineup all the better.

If he consistently put in 30 a year I doubt he'd be the perennial whipping boy but goals are easy to quantify and responsible defensive play is much harder to notice. I'm glad he's turned it up a notch this month.

Is he playing so well that Army won't trade him this summer?

Half kidding.

Bergie has always been an enigma. All the size and skill you need. Not the fastest.

How old is he? 25, 26?

Fells like a guy that needs a change of scenery. And also feels like he would become a 50 point guy after that change of scenery.

39hurricane wrote:Is he playing so well that Army won't trade him this summer?

Half kidding.

Bergie has always been an enigma. All the size and skill you need. Not the fastest.

How old is he? 25, 26?

Fells like a guy that needs a change of scenery. And also feels like he would become a 50 point guy after that change of scenery.
I've always said that it would totally suck to watch him turn into Peter Forsberg for another team.

Let's not get carried away. Berglund has buried a couple recently. I don't think he looks much different out there than usual for the most part. He will and should be gone at the end of the year. He's not a bad player, just overpaid.

SteveW7744 wrote:Let's not get carried away. Berglund has buried a couple recently. I don't think he looks much different out there than usual for the most part. He will and should be gone at the end of the year. He's not a bad player, just overpaid.
I just think he's stood out is all. Not hard to do when the team overall looked like complete ass in game 3. He'll be gone regardless. His spot can be filled by a younger player and we need the money for Tarasenko.

i don't know who that guy wearing #21 has been the last few games, but i'm happy he has replaced berglund. outstanding game from him last night, almost got 2. i'd be happy with a team full of guys that coasted during most of the regular season and only showed up in playoffs - much better than the opposite.

Turk Sanderson wrote:

Half kidding.

How old is he? 25, 26?

I've always said that it would totally suck to watch him turn into Peter Forsberg for another team.
He simply does not have those kind of skills, but he could easily become an important playoff producer for a perrenial Cup contender.

(Full disclosure, from his sophomore season till this one, I've lobbied to have him traded, released, whatever. I just wanted him gone )

Ok, so he doesn't pot 30, but can you quantify his fore check/board skills into a trade value? I think not, he is a + on this team and I don't mean +/-. If he's around next year Mark my words Jaskin,staz, and bergs will be the best third line in hockey.

BlueinNy wrote:Ok, so he doesn't pot 30, but can you quantify his fore check/board skills into a trade value? I think not, he is a + on this team and I don't mean +/-. If he's around next year Mark my words Jaskin,staz, and bergs will be the best third line in hockey.
I think he gets traded for financial reasons. Fabbri will be on this team next year, and Berglund looks like the odd forward out, when considering all the factors

barnburner wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote:

Half kidding.

How old is he? 25, 26?

He simply does not have those kind of skills, but he could easily become an important playoff producer for a perrenial Cup contender.
He hasn't ever played with the confidence or drive or whatever, for us to truly get a grip on his value. If he keeps on playing like he is now, and gets his shoulder problem fixed, we may have us a player.
BTW I've advocated trading him away as well.
(Full disclosure, from his sophomore season till this one, I've lobbied to have him traded, released, whatever. I just wanted him gone )

He hasn't ever played with the confidence or drive or whatever, for us to truly get a grip on his value. If he keeps on playing like he is now, and gets his shoulder problem fixed, we may have us a player.
BTW I've advocated trading him away as well.

Maybe I'm wrong, it's been known to be the case, but if it comes down to Bergie or oshie, been nice knowing ya tj. There are a few non playoff performers that could go before bergs. And I type this knowing there are many more knowledgeable of salary than I.

Doug Glatt wrote:
BlueinNy wrote:Ok, so he doesn't pot 30, but can you quantify his fore check/board skills into a trade value? I think not, he is a + on this team and I don't mean +/-. If he's around next year Mark my words Jaskin,staz, and bergs will be the best third line in hockey.
I think he gets traded for financial reasons. Fabbri will be on this team next year, and Berglund looks like the odd forward out, when considering all the factors
If you look at the lines...I don't think Fabbri has a spot next year honestly.

Checker > Sniper > Set up man

Backes > Steen > Oshie

Schwartz > Tarasenko > Lehtera

Berglund > Jaskin > Stastny

If Fabbri takes anyone's spot, it's Jaskin.

I really like the player Berglund has turned out to be. He's not out there to put on a show, he has simply done what the coaches have asked him to do. He went from being a 1st round offensive player to a 3rd line 2-way puck hog. He is the perfect asset for our "defense by offense, hold it in their end" scheme. He's not the fastest, but is a strong and balanced skater, and has the size to hold off defenders. I've never heard anything bad about him in the locker room, or his personality in general. I like the guy, and if he plays a key role in the Blues winning the SC, then I'd rather see 28 year old T.J. Oshie's $4.5m moved in the offseason.

Semi-OT: When I saw that backhander that Berglund scored with, I immediately thought "I wonder if Stewart taught him that while they were linemates?"

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Win or lose, I'm guessing that some high-priced vets will be moved this off-season to make room for younger, cheaper, players. The FA market will be full of KHLers looking for a better gig as well. We've been up against the cap too long,

Battra wrote:
Doug Glatt wrote:
If you look at the lines...I don't think Fabbri has a spot next year honestly.

Checker > Sniper > Set up man

Backes > Steen > Oshie

Schwartz > Tarasenko > Lehtera

Berglund > Jaskin > Stastny

If Fabbri takes anyone's spot, it's Jaskin.
Jaskin is a way better checker than Berglund is, and Fabbri will be a way better sniper than Jaskin is. Problem solved.