What would you give for McDavid?

I highly doubt Edmonton would ever even consider trading McDavid, so this is more of a fun discussion of 'how far would you go'?

Bouwmeester, Parayko, Lehtera, Fabbri, 2014 2nd, 2015 1st

Steen/McDavid/Tarasenko
Schwartz/Stastny/Oshie
Barbashev/Backes/Jaskin
Ott/Porter/Reaves

Lindbohm/Pietrangelo
Gunnarson/Shattenkirk
Jackman/Bortuzzo

-Moving Bouwmeester gives us money for Tarasenko
-Fabbri would be a bummer, but getting back McDavid would make me get over it
-Losing Lehtera/Tarasenko combo would be a bummer, but I feel like McDavid would do
-Parayko would be a bummer, but our other defensive depth could allow this (Lindbohm, Schmaltz, Edmundson, Vannelli)
-With so much youth, and wanting to go for it now, I am alright with losing picks.

I may be way off, and I really have no idea, so feel free to call me an idiot.

Re: What would you give for McDavid?

I think you're off, but not by much compared to a lot of the proposals I've seen. I think it would require one established elite player plus a prospect load similar to what you have. Swap Bouwmeester out for one of Shatty, Petro, Tarasenko, or Schwartz and I think that would be about what it would take, but I still don't think Edmonton would ever make the trade.

I would absolutely do the deal you suggest. I would probably still do it with Shattenkirk but would think long and hard about it. I don't think I would do it with any of the other guys though. Maybe Petro but I don't think I would.

I don't even think Edmonton would trade him if you offered Petro and Tarasenko. They aren't trading him though, he's already the face of the franchise and they are moving to a new building soon.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Yes I understand they probably won't trade him, hence the 'how far would you go' statement. How much would you be willing to offer to see if you could pry him away?

I don't think I'd move any of the current core guys. I don't think he is all that necessary.

I also am not sure it starts with Tarasenko, I think UMSL was close including Pietrangelo or Shattenkirk. Edmonton needs defense, so theoretically they would want defense back.

How about, what would Edmonton take to give our pick back?

Edmonton might need defense but they wouldn't even trade McDavid if you offered all three of Petro, Shatty and Jbo. They are going to want a top scorer, a top dman, and a couple of future first rounders.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

UMSLBlues12 wrote:
wizard pork sword wrote:I may be off my rocker but I don't think there's a single one player in this league they'd trade straight up for the #1 overall pick. Not a single one.
I don't know. I mean the hope is McDavid becomes Crosby, but Crosby already is Crosby and he's only 28 I believe.

From my understanding, many think he's a better prospect than Sid was.

Add to that the contract differences between the two and I don't think they make that trade.
Last edited by wizard pork sword on Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Battra wrote:I did some looking at McJesus's stats...holy hell.

In his 3 years in Erie...1.71 points per game...and 120 points in 47 games this past season....and +60.
He's not going to put up Gretzky type numbers as that's simply not possible in today's NHL, but he's going to be the greatest player in the world and it's painful knowing Edmonton gets him. Absolutely painful.

wizard pork sword wrote:

In his 3 years in Erie...1.71 points per game...and 120 points in 47 games this past season....and +60.
He's not going to put up Gretzky type numbers as that's simply not possible in today's NHL, but he's going to be the greatest player in the world and it's painful knowing Edmonton gets him. Absolutely painful.
I'd bet you he nets 100 points next year.

Battra wrote:It would take a Lindros type deal.

You'd have to trade your core and then watch them win the cup with it.
I don't think Edmonton could win the cup with anyone's core.

They certainly don't have a cup caliber roster at the moment, but they shouldn't have been in contention for the first pick. They have to do SOMETHING to round out their team, if they aren't going to do something about management. I would have to think someone out of their young forwards will be moved to get some defense.

Battra wrote:
wizard pork sword wrote:

I'd bet you he nets 100 points next year.
Is he 100 points in his rookie season good? That may be Calder/Hart worthy. And that would be amazing.

warpig2003 wrote:
Battra wrote:It would take a Lindros type deal.

You'd have to trade your core and then watch them win the cup with it.
I don't think Edmonton could win the cup with anyone's core.

They certainly don't have a cup caliber roster at the moment, but they shouldn't have been in contention for the first pick. They have to do SOMETHING to round out their team, if they aren't going to do something about management. I would have to think someone out of their young forwards will be moved to get some defense.
Trade them Petro, Bouwmeester, Berglund, Oshie, and Elliott and they win a cup with proper coaching.

rudy4u51 wrote:
Battra wrote:
rudy4u51 wrote: Is he 100 points in his rookie season good? That may be Calder/Hart worthy. And that would be amazing.
Yes he is.

And hes locked in Siberia..I mean Edmonton for life. Does this put the oil back in the playoffs??
He's locked there till he's a UFA...which I think is at age 25 now.

No, he alone does not put them in the playoffs. The Oil finished 37 (18.5 games) points behind the final wild card spot.

If he gets 120 points, that'll net them no more than 5 more games won I'd imagine because the backend is a mess.