Re: 2019 Offseason signings, trades, news thread

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:40 pm I don’t know what the hell is going on in Philly. Why even give up a draft pick for the rights to Kevin Hayes ? Nobody else in the league was gonna give him $50mil. They could have just waited until July 1st.
:lol: So true. And I used to think Fletcher was good. He's off to a terrible start, as if he's a double agent set out to sabotage the Flyers organization.

BillP. wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:20 am
NHLTIM wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:40 pm I don’t know what the hell is going on in Philly. Why even give up a draft pick for the rights to Kevin Hayes ? Nobody else in the league was gonna give him $50mil. They could have just waited until July 1st.
:lol: So true. And I used to think Fletcher was good. He's off to a terrible start, as if he's a double agent set out to sabotage the Flyers organization.
The bitch of it is that Hextall was doing it the right way too.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:44 am
But he was not doing it the Comcast/Holmgren way. There was a big rift between Hextall and Holmgren.

Someone is going to pick up a good GM because of Holmgren's short -sightedness.

ratonmono wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:50 am
NHLTIM wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:44 am

But he was not doing it the Comcast/Holmgren way. There was a big rift between Hextall and Holmgren.

Someone is going to pick up a good GM because of Holmgren's short -sightedness.
From what I've heard and read Hextall got fired for being too patient. Philly apparently would rather have bad trades than no trades at all. Hayes is a fine player, a nice little second line center, but his best contract comp is O'Reilly according to capfriendly. That's a rooooooooough comparison for Hayes. We'll see what he has in store. The prospects Hextall drafted after acquiring more picks (some from the Blues) seem like they'll be tasked with saving Fletcher's job.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Speaking of Marner in the other thread, and to keep it more ROR trade specific...wow, I cannot believe some of the contracts these 'kids' are getting right after ELC. The days of bridge contracts are definately over under the current CBA and frothing at the mouth some GMs are doing: (I copied and pasted the whole fucking article so none of you have to visit the click bait spam filled site like I did, but it's linked for reference)

"According to the latest NHL rumors, Toronto Maple Leafs forward Mitch Marner turned down an eight-year, $11 million per year long-term offer. The top priority for the Toronto Maple Leafs offseason is re-signing restricted free agent Mitch Marner. They got Auston Matthews extension done during the regular season, but Marner is proving to be far more difficult to negotiate with. According to the latest NHL rumors, he recently rejected a long-term offer for eight years with an $11 million average annual value.

This report comes from Elliotte Friedman during a recent segment with Tim & Sid. The Leafs are reportedly willing to pay him $11 million, but only if the contract is a long-term one. Negotiations are heading the wrong way and, with teams eligible to sign him to an offer sheet on July 1, time is running out.
Marner would prefer a short-term deal, much like the one Matthews signed. Matthews signed a five-year deal with an average annual value of $11.634 million.

However, Matthews has proven to be an elite goal scorer. Over the past 25 years, Alex Ovechkin and Paul Kariya are the only two players who have averaged more goals per game in their first three seasons than him. The latter is a Hall of Fame player and the former is considered by many to be the greatest goal scorer ever.

Sure, Matthews have trouble staying healthy. But when he’s on the ice, he has a skill he can point to as being elite. Scoring goals gets you paid and everything Matthews has done so far suggests he is nothing short of an elite goal scorer.

Marner, on the other hand, doesn’t have the same resume. While he is coming off an impressive seasons with 94 points and 68 assists, the 2018-19 season is the first time he’s passed the point per game milestone."

click at own risk :) https://puckprose.com/2019/06/20/nhl-ru ... ple-leafs/
"Do Only Good Everyday"

another article just read (fell into the rabbit hole of rumors....sorry for so many posts) is that Kadri, Kapanen and even Connor Brown may be available as the Leafs try to make room for a hopefully Marner deal. Wonder if DA has any interest in any of them. Kadri's deal is pretty friendly and still has 3 more years on it. Perhaps a Schenn for Kadri + type deal? Only makes $4.5/ and while maybe not as good on the points side as Schenn, he does have that tough attitude and will do whatever it takes to win. I know we have bitched about that, but EVERY team we played this postseason bitched about our players 'playing dirty' so fuck it! Bring him in I say :)

link: https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2019/06 ... kadri.html
"Do Only Good Everyday"

I’d be interested in a Kapanen+ for Schenn deal. No interest in Kadri for me personally...a few years ago I would have taken him, but for once we don’t need centers.

Then you could run something like...
Schwartz-ROR-Tarasenko
Sanford-Thomas-Perron
Blais-Bozak-Kapanen
Steen-Sundqvist-Barbashev

If you re-sign Maroon, he plays on the third line and one of Blais or Sanford is out of the lineup.

Guess how you feel about moving Schenn depends on how much faith you have in Thomas to take on the second line center roll next season.