The Athletic (new sports website)

Have any of you guys heard about The Athletic, the new subscription based sports website? They cover "local" news in a few cities currently, and it sounds like they're starting a "national" more general news site as well. From what I've heard from people it is top-notch sports writing across all sports, and it seems like they're getting big people in the industry now as well (ie Ken Rosenthal for baseball, Craig Custance for hockey). I'm wondering if subscription based sites are where things are heading, or if this is going to be unsuccessful.

Re: The Athletic (new sports website)

UMSLBlues12 wrote:Have any of you guys heard about The Athletic, the new subscription based sports website? They cover "local" news in a few cities currently, and it sounds like they're starting a "national" more general news site as well. From what I've heard from people it is top-notch sports writing across all sports, and it seems like they're getting big people in the industry now as well (ie Ken Rosenthal for baseball, Craig Custance for hockey). I'm wondering if subscription based sites are where things are heading, or if this is going to be unsuccessful.
If you subscribe, you become an Athletic supporter.