A question about rap music

The other day I saw an article, and actual video, of Tupac's hologram appearance at this year's Coachella concert. I watched about 2 minutes of it, to see what the hologram experience was like. Pretty cool, that aspect of it. But in listening to the song, I couldn't help but wonder if a large segment of our society has ever actually listened to the words in rap songs. I read some article by some lily white suburban chick, she was tickled to death about the whole thing, calling Tupac and Snoop Dog superstars. Martha White is friends with Snoop. Snoop did a golf commercial for Chrysler. The media is constantly referring to all these guys as superstars and just gushing about them. And I can't help but wonder if they even have any clue what they are singing:

Muthafucka nigga shit,
Pull my pistol nigga
Fuck that pussy
Pistol fuck that nigga
Thass wut I'm talkin' bout nigga
Nigga going' down, nigga
Pussy whip nigga fuck that shit
Know what I'm sayin'?
Kill that nigga, fuck dat nigga
Nigga fuck dat, fuck nigga fuck
Pussy pussy fuck, nigga fuck
Mothafucka nigga, AK dat nigga!

I'm not trying to admonish them for this. Rap music is not for me, I'm not going to lie, I hate it. But I certainly don't want to condemn them for what they write, and how they "sing" it. But I'm trying to imagine if white guys did this in rock music, or metal music, or country music--would they be embraced by the media, and called superstars, and have reporters just gushing to be in their presence? And people like Martha White? I know there are white people making music with extreme lyrics and messages in their songs, but they are not held in high esteem and pushed to the forefront by mainstream media.

I don't get it. The only thing I can figure is they know the guys are popular, that kids seem to like them a lot. And they obviously have no clue what they are actually singing about. I'm convinced if he was still alive today, Mr. Rogers would have Snoop Dogg on his TV show:

"Hello boys and girls! It's a lovely day in the neighborhood! We have a special guest today, please welcome my good friend Snoopy!" Snoop would proceed to grab his dick and hold it the whole time during a four minute rap where he would talk about killing a bunch of niggas and fucking a bunch of ho's. Mr. Rogers would smile and nod the whole time, clueless.

Re: A question about rap music

white guilt has been hammered into suburbanites' heads. ice cube is doing family shows now. impressionable young whites have been slowly indoctrinated to the "culture" of "rap" over the last 30 years while the rappers themselves have slowly been becoming akin to carnies who sucker in passers-by, getting them to buy their shit, attend their shows, and make them popular, filling their pockets while they churn out cheap hooks and shitty "raps" in their sleep. white people who support this shit are suckers. there are very few truly "dangerous" rappers left that come from the old school.

I get all that, and totally agree with everything you said. And even though these guys are just posers, like you'll get with anything that involves a chance for a person to make money by posing (especially a LOT of money), what I don't get is the mainstream media's infatuation with these clowns. These media people are supposedly educated and objective people, yet they seem to be completely blind to the things they are promoting when they put these guys on a pedestal and push them to the forefront.

Elboyd wrote:I get all that, and totally agree with everything you said. And even though these guys are just posers...
Believe it or not, a friend and I were talking about this at work the other day. In the beginning, rappers sang about their lives, how they grew up, and (sometimes) how they got beyond that to start making it in the music world. Now they're just rapping curse words and disrespect to a catchy beat.

Now, it seems that rap has become some self-perpetuating prophecy about growing up poor in the city. Young blacks and whites alike see how "cool" rap-stars are and try to emmulate the style of life that those guys are singing about. Because they're adopting that style, they have absolutely NO chance to make it in the real world. There is absolutely no respect for others (or for themselves) in their lives. Rules are meant to be broken; they're just there to keep the kids from having a good time.

Just the other day, a skateboarding white teen started mouthing off to me when I ran him off the daycare property. He was mouthing "I don't see any 'no tresspassing' signs, you don't have any right to chase me off, the cops can't write me a ticket for that unless you post a sign." I told him to fuck off, it wouldn't be tresspassing he'd be hit with, it would be stalking little kids, landing him on the sex offender list. Yeah, we were closed, and it would be near impossible for that to happen, but the point was it was more important for him to mouth off and act tough than to admit he was in the wrong and say "sorry, it won't happen again."

Storm13 wrote:
Elboyd wrote:I get all that, and totally agree with everything you said. And even though these guys are just posers...
Believe it or not, a friend and I were talking about this at work the other day. In the beginning, rappers sang about their lives, how they grew up, and (sometimes) how they got beyond that to start making it in the music world. Now they're just rapping curse words and disrespect to a catchy beat.

Now, it seems that rap has become some self-perpetuating prophecy about growing up poor in the city. Young blacks and whites alike see how "cool" rap-stars are and try to emmulate the style of life that those guys are singing about. Because they're adopting that style, they have absolutely NO chance to make it in the real world. There is absolutely no respect for others (or for themselves) in their lives. Rules are meant to be broken; they're just there to keep the kids from having a good time.

Just the other day, a skateboarding white teen started mouthing off to me when I ran him off the daycare property. He was mouthing "I don't see any 'no tresspassing' signs, you don't have any right to chase me off, the cops can't write me a ticket for that unless you post a sign." I told him to fuck off, it wouldn't be tresspassing he'd be hit with, it would be stalking little kids, landing him on the sex offender list. Yeah, we were closed, and it would be near impossible for that to happen, but the point was it was more important for him to mouth off and act tough than to admit he was in the wrong and say "sorry, it won't happen again."
I gotta confess I'm a lot like that kid--for instance, when I pay my bills, the envelope always says "be sure to write your account number on your check," and I don't do it--I just grab my dick and say "Homey don't play dat" and I mail it in and make those bitches write da account number on ner themselves. Know what I'm sayin'?