Blues Offseason News Thread

Well crap, the season's over. The good news is now we get to wildly speculate about what comes next. Krug for McDavid...WHO SAYS NO!?!?!

A couple injury updates:
-Schenn had 3 sets of broken ribs and a torn oblique throughout the season.
-No surgery required for Binnington's knee injury.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Re: Blues Offseason News Thread

Someone asked Armstrong if he expected any of the assistant coaches to be poached. His answer seemed to indicate it's almost certain that at least one of them will be a Head Coach somewhere next year. That's not a surprise given their success. I'd be almost shocked if Montgomery doesn't get job this summer, and the other two have done nothing but win since they showed up behind the Blues bench.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: First order of business should be to resign Perron. Then you figure out how to move cap space for an upgrade on LHD.
You're upgrade might be resigning Leddy. That's another thing Elliot Friedman said yesterday. That Doug Armstrong doesn't like to trade for rentals. So don't be surprised if he tries to work him in.

BillP. wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:01 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: First order of business should be to resign Perron. Then you figure out how to move cap space for an upgrade on LHD.
You're upgrade might be resigning Leddy. That's another thing Elliot Friedman said yesterday. That Doug Armstrong doesn't like to trade for rentals. So don't be surprised if he tries to work him in.
imo, he’s not an upgrade. He wasn’t good vs Colorado including getting absolutely embarrassed by McKinnon. Better options available
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:49 pm
imo, he’s not an upgrade. He wasn’t good vs Colorado including getting absolutely embarrassed by McKinnon. Better options available
I wonder if that Jacob Chychrun deal comes to fruition. It seems like he's bound to be traded somewhere this summer, and in theory the groundwork would've been laid at the deadline. Probably a lot more suitors in the summer given that everyone will have more wiggle room with the cap and no one will be 30 points out of the last playoff spot yet.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:54 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:45 am I don't necessarily agree with his take here, but the goalie market is really sparse these days.
I think Husso cashes in thus summer. I think teams see him as someone who had a VERY good year and there's still upside as it was his first run as getting regular work.
Yeah I agree. There really aren't many really high end goalies anymore. After the two guys playing in the Eastern Conference Final, there's a handful of guys that can be outstanding but vary from year to year (Hellebuyck) and guys that are great fits on their current team, but probably more a function of the defense (Freddie Andersen). It's going to be hard to keep Husso with the other needs this team will have and tight cap space. Husso showed enough that a team will pay him like a #1 if he wants it.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:03 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:45 am I don't necessarily agree with his take here, but the goalie market is really sparse these days.
I think Husso cashes in thus summer. I think teams see him as someone who had a VERY good year and there's still upside as it was his first run as getting regular work.
Yeah I agree. There really aren't many really high end goalies anymore. After the two guys playing in the Eastern Conference Final, there's a handful of guys that can be outstanding but vary from year to year (Hellebuyck) and guys that are great fits on their current team, but probably more a function of the defense (Freddie Andersen). It's going to be hard to keep Husso with the other needs this team will have and tight cap space. Husso showed enough that a team will pay him like a #1 if he wants it.
I hope the Blues can find a way to fit him in the budget but if going to Charlie Sideburns as your backup allows you to improve elsewhere, I am for it. Only takes one team that views him as their #1 to come in and price the Blues out.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:36 am

I hope the Blues can find a way to fit him in the budget but if going to Charlie Sideburns as your backup allows you to improve elsewhere, I am for it. Only takes one team that views him as their #1 to come in and price the Blues out.
As long as Chucky can hold up as an NHL backup over the course of a whole season, it's a win win since it'll allow Hofer a chance to be an undisputed #1 in Springfield.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:55 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:36 am

As long as Chucky can hold up as an NHL backup over the course of a whole season, it's a win win since it'll allow Hofer a chance to be an undisputed #1 in Springfield.
Chucky's a UFA, too.

I'm sure that Leddy will be signed to a cap-friendly deal. He's made plenty of money over the years and didn't enjoy his stay with bottom-feeder Detroit. I'm sure he'd rather be on a Cup contender, with a great clubhouse atmosphere, like The Blues. Still, I assume that Armstrong will also look for a trade (which might include Scandella, Barbashev, the rights to sign Husso early, and other (more valuable assets) to add a Top3 left defenceman.

Perron WILL be signed to a cap friendly home town discount contract. He's made plenty of money and will want to stay with his friends and keep his family from being uprooted.

Army has already stated publicly that he will deal with Tarasenko's contract after the 2023-24 season (after he sees how the team's players progress, how the team performs, how Vladdy plays, what The Cap will be, what The Blues' Cap situation will be, and what trades will be available to improve the team, and how much Tarasenko would want to re-sign, and how many years he would want). So, it seems obvious that Tarasenko wants to play for The Blues next season, and look at his options after that. His demand to be traded seems to have been revoked. I think it's hard to tell now, whether or not he'll be re-signed after next season.

I think that Bozak may be re-signed to a cap-friendly deal, as well.