Re: Blues Offseason News Thread

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:06 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:29 am
netboy65 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:21 am

Responding to the poster that said Barbie might have to go....I agree, time to sell high. I love the guy, but I think this season was an outlier.
Blues have a handful of guys that fall into this category. Army can pretty much do what he pleases this off-season via trade. If he really wants to make a splash, you trade Kyrou.
I just wonder how that works. For Kyrou you'd be bringing in a pretty big fish, and as such you'd have to move out a fair amount of salary. People have talked about Tkachuk as the centerpiece of a Kyrou deal, but how do you get the money to work. Would you package Kyrou in a deal for Chychrun since he's relatively cheap? If so what else do you add on either side? I could see this offseason being very exciting or very boring.
Just put Tarasenko on LTIR until the playoffs start like the Bolts did with Kucherov
Just a Russian propaganda account

Responding to the poster that said Barbie might have to go....I agree, time to sell high. I love the guy, but I think this season was an outlier.
Blues have a handful of guys that fall into this category. Army can pretty much do what he pleases this off-season via trade. If he really wants to make a splash, you trade Kyrou.
I'm not trading a cost-controlled point per game guy. I know everyone has a hard-on for MT, but he's just not worth it, IMO, both in salary and what you'd have to give up to make him fit under the cap.

netboy65 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:14 am

I'm not trading a cost-controlled point per game guy. I know everyone has a hard-on for MT, but he's just not worth it, IMO, both in salary and what you'd have to give up to make him fit under the cap.
He had 42 goals and 106 points compared to Kyrou's 75. Plus they are the same age.

As for cost control, Kyrou is due 2.8 million for one more year(great value) but then is an RFA and due a big raise. I feel more certain in Tkachuk maintaining his level of performances than Kyrou and if you can get Tkachuk for Kyrou, I don't even hesitate to make it happen. Plus not to mention the physical aspect of his game the Blues lack up front.

I get the reasons why you'd want to just keep Kyrou and use other pieces to make roster moves but I want a big splash, a guy that can alter this lineup. A guy that can match up with the elite of elite skill Colorado can throw out at you. I want a superstar. And lets face it, the Blues don't have a true superstar. Those are just my thoughts on it, but always enjoy your insight.

Corey Pronman dropped a new mock draft today. Here's the Blues bit:

23. St. Louis Blues: Filip Bystedt, C, Linkoping-SHL

Bystedt is a player I’m hearing a lot about in the run-up to the draft as a 6-foot-3 center who can skate well and has some offense. St. Louis doesn’t have many true centers in their system so I could see him or Gaucher as fits here. If one of the WHL defensemen in Mateychuk or Pickering gets this far I could see them as a destination for the Blues, who lack young defensemen.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:56 am Corey Pronman dropped a new mock draft today. Here's the Blues bit:

Bystedt is a player I’m hearing a lot about in the run-up to the draft as a 6-foot-3 center who can skate well and has some offense. St. Louis doesn’t have many true centers in their system so I could see him or Gaucher as fits here. If one of the WHL defensemen in Mateychuk or Pickering gets this far I could see them as a destination for the Blues, who lack young defensemen.
I put a 2022 draft thread up already, just fyi.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:11 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:56 am Corey Pronman dropped a new mock draft today. Here's the Blues bit:

I put a 2022 draft thread up already, just fyi.
How far do you expect me to scroll!!! :lol:

Dave's a mess wrote: Corey Pronman dropped a new mock draft today. Here's the Blues bit:

Makes good sense. But on Bystedt, I'm not all that crazy about "has some offense". I want a home run pick. A number 23 pick with top 5 value so to speak. We could use one.

BillP. wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:20 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Corey Pronman dropped a new mock draft today. Here's the Blues bit:

Makes good sense. But on Bystedt, I'm not all that crazy about "has some offense". I want a home run pick. A number 23 pick with top 5 value so to speak. We could use one.
Generally speaking, those guys tend to go in the top 5.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:23 am

He had 42 goals and 106 points compared to Kyrou's 75. Plus they are the same age.

As for cost control, Kyrou is due 2.8 million for one more year(great value) but then is an RFA and due a big raise. I feel more certain in Tkachuk maintaining his level of performances than Kyrou and if you can get Tkachuk for Kyrou, I don't even hesitate to make it happen. Plus not to mention the physical aspect of his game the Blues lack up front.

I get the reasons why you'd want to just keep Kyrou and use other pieces to make roster moves but I want a big splash, a guy that can alter this lineup. A guy that can match up with the elite of elite skill Colorado can throw out at you. I want a superstar. And lets face it, the Blues don't have a true superstar. Those are just my thoughts on it, but always enjoy your insight.
hey, it's cool! I welcome a spirited hockey debate without it evolving into name calling etc!! So no worries there!
Back to the matter at hand, first of all MT had like 4 goals in the playoffs compared to Kyrou's 7....secondly, if it were just MT for Kyrou straight up I'd entertain the idea, but if you want him next year, you're going to have to trade, what is Calgary going to ask for, if they even entertain the idea of getting rid of him? If you wait until he hits FA for 23-24, it's a fool's errand to think you'll get him for anything less than $10M, honestly probably closer to 11 or 12. If Army was willing to give that, then it's still Kyrou+ in order to fit him under the cap. Perron? Gone, Tarasenko, gone.
Look, I get wanting elite talent to make a splash, but for me, Exhibit A is the Toronto Maple Loafs.....they already had Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Reilly, so what did they do? They made a splash and went out and got Tavares for something like $11M. 11M could have bought you a couple pretty good d-men and a goalie and you'd still have all those other good scorers.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:29 am Blues have a handful of guys that fall into this category. Army can pretty much do what he pleases this off-season via trade. If he really wants to make a splash, you trade Kyrou.

After seeing the Flames have close to 26M in cap space and seeing Elliot Friedman talking about Gaudreau and Tkachuk a week or so ago, my hopes of a blockbuster deal for Tkachuk have subsided. He'll probably resign with the Flames. Hope I'm wrong and Army has a chance to get him, but I'm not as optimistic as before.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:28 am
BillP. wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:20 am

Generally speaking, those guys tend to go in the top 5.
I LOL'd
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Reading over some off-season chatter and who may and may not be available. I wouldn't mind the Blues going back to an old trade partner in Philly and getting Ivan Provonov to take Leddy's role. I could see the Blues using Prune as trade bait to get a guy in. Whether thats Provonov, in a bigger deal for Chychrun, or someone else.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:18 am Reading over some off-season chatter and who may and may not be available. I wouldn't mind the Blues going back to an old trade partner in Philly and getting Ivan Provonov to take Leddy's role. I could see the Blues using Prune as trade bait to get a guy in. Whether thats Provonov, in a bigger deal for Chychrun, or someone else.
Yeah I think there's a trade for a new LD. The UFA market is pretty thin this year on that front. Bill Armstrong surely has a high opinion of Perunovich after drafting him, so maybe he's the centerpiece of a Chychrun deal. There's a lot to like about this team heading into next season, but I don't know how you run back the same group on D and expect better results.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:52 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:18 am Reading over some off-season chatter and who may and may not be available. I wouldn't mind the Blues going back to an old trade partner in Philly and getting Ivan Provonov to take Leddy's role. I could see the Blues using Prune as trade bait to get a guy in. Whether thats Provonov, in a bigger deal for Chychrun, or someone else.
Yeah I think there's a trade for a new LD. The UFA market is pretty thin this year on that front. Bill Armstrong surely has a high opinion of Perunovich after drafting him, so maybe he's the centerpiece of a Chychrun deal. There's a lot to like about this team heading into next season, but I don't know how you run back the same group on D and expect better results.
I don't believe that we've seen the best of Prune yet... he was given very sheltered minutes on the power play because of his wrist...if Krug hadn't been hurt, we probably wouldn't have seen him at all...too early to move on from him...but I sure would move on from Krug and that contract...that money can be better spent at this point, especially on a more physical LD. When Prune is fully healed, he'll be better than the small sample we saw this year.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:07 am
I don't believe that we've seen the best of Prune yet... he was given very sheltered minutes on the power play because of his wrist...if Krug hadn't been hurt, we probably wouldn't have seen him at all...too early to move on from him...but I sure would move on from Krug and that contract...that money can be better spent at this point, especially on a more physical LD. When Prune is fully healed, he'll be better than the small sample we saw this year.
Because they are redundant players. Right now Prune is a poor man's version of Krug. I just don't see them having both and Krug and Faulk were brilliant together when they were healthy.

If you're moving a d-man just to move his contract it's Parayko's you explore.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:19 am

Because they are redundant players. Right now Prune is a poor man's version of Krug. I just don't see them having both and Krug and Faulk were brilliant together when they were healthy.

If Army can upgrade 55, I'd be all for it...as long as he moves Krug too.

I get the logic behind moving Krug and his contract, but I don't think it makes sense for this group with it's window. Perunovich's ceiling seems to be where Krug is currently at. I'd be happy to have them both in the fold, but if the Blues decide to make a trade for a new LD it might be tricky keeping Perunovich in the fold. In a perfect world you could dump Scandella, keep Krug with Faulk and put Perunovich on the third pair and one of the PP units. Problem there is you either have to bring in a new LD for Parayko to play with or hope Mikkola is up to the job full time. I don't have a good answer, I hope Army does.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:19 am

^This......All. Day. Long.

netboy65 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:34 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:23 am

hey, it's cool! I welcome a spirited hockey debate without it evolving into name calling etc!! So no worries there!
Back to the matter at hand, first of all MT had like 4 goals in the playoffs compared to Kyrou's 7....secondly, if it were just MT for Kyrou straight up I'd entertain the idea, but if you want him next year, you're going to have to trade, what is Calgary going to ask for, if they even entertain the idea of getting rid of him? If you wait until he hits FA for 23-24, it's a fool's errand to think you'll get him for anything less than $10M, honestly probably closer to 11 or 12. If Army was willing to give that, then it's still Kyrou+ in order to fit him under the cap. Perron? Gone, Tarasenko, gone.
Look, I get wanting elite talent to make a splash, but for me, Exhibit A is the Toronto Maple Loafs.....they already had Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Reilly, so what did they do? They made a splash and went out and got Tavares for something like $11M. 11M could have bought you a couple pretty good d-men and a goalie and you'd still have all those other good scorers.
This isn't the greatest comparison for the point you are trying to make.

I am a proponent for getting MT, but I also understand the salary issues so it's not a "JK for MT GET ER DONE LEEERY".

But we don't have a Matthews/Nylander/Marner type player and they have THREE so us getting MT would get us ONE.

We have the right tools, we just need a "MacKinnon" to put us on par with the Avs to beat and be the best in the west. Tarasenko is good, but not on MacKinnon's level. Once his contract expires if he will take a home town discount so we can afford a "MT" then I'm all for it.

As for THIS offseason:

Step 1:
Re-sign Perron - In a perfect world Army/Perron agree to a 3x3
Extend ROR to a longer lower cap hit contract
Trade Scandella for a pick/salary dump

Step 2: ???

Step 3: Profit
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:29 pm
As for THIS offseason:

Step 1:

Love that plan. Seems reasonable. DPW will surely figure out Step 2 during his Summer as GM. I wonder about the timing of ROR's extension. I'm sure Armstrong doesn't want a repeat of the Petro situation, though that really didn't become a sideshow until after the season. I'd imagine at the very least it leads to a more proactive approach akin to Schenn's extension. He was younger at the time of signing, but still signed his deal in October, right as the last season of his contract started.

I'm not sure how much it will apply to St. Louis, but one team who's offseason could be extremely interesting is Boston. Bergeron might be retiring, Marchand and others are going to be injured for the first part of the season, they just fired their head coach, and Pastrnak is apparently unhappy and unlikely to sign an extension entering the last year of his deal. If he won't sign, they HAVE to trade him. If Pastrnak is traded and Bergeron retires, it'll be time to blow that up.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:54 am
As for THIS offseason:

Step 1:

Love that plan. Seems reasonable. DPW will surely figure out Step 2 during his Summer as GM. I wonder about the timing of ROR's extension. I'm sure Armstrong doesn't want a repeat of the Petro situation, though that really didn't become a sideshow until after the season. I'd imagine at the very least it leads to a more proactive approach akin to Schenn's extension. He was younger at the time of signing, but still signed his deal in October, right as the last season of his contract started.

I'm not sure how much it will apply to St. Louis, but one team who's offseason could be extremely interesting is Boston. Bergeron might be retiring, Marchand and others are going to be injured for the first part of the season, they just fired their head coach, and Pastrnak is apparently unhappy and unlikely to sign an extension entering the last year of his deal. If he won't sign, they HAVE to trade him. If Pastrnak is traded and Bergeron retires, it'll be time to blow that up.
I'm fully in favor of blowing Marchand up.

As for THIS offseason:

Step 1:

Kyrou, Dags, and a third for Pastrnak... Get 'er done Leery!

BluesSK wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:57 am
As for THIS offseason:

Step 1:

I'm fully in favor of blowing Marchand up.
:lol: :lol: :lol: