Re: Blues Offseason News Thread

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:55 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:36 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:03 am

Yeah I agree. There really aren't many really high end goalies anymore. After the two guys playing in the Eastern Conference Final, there's a handful of guys that can be outstanding but vary from year to year (Hellebuyck) and guys that are great fits on their current team, but probably more a function of the defense (Freddie Andersen). It's going to be hard to keep Husso with the other needs this team will have and tight cap space. Husso showed enough that a team will pay him like a #1 if he wants it.
I hope the Blues can find a way to fit him in the budget but if going to Charlie Sideburns as your backup allows you to improve elsewhere, I am for it. Only takes one team that views him as their #1 to come in and price the Blues out.
As long as Chucky can hold up as an NHL backup over the course of a whole season, it's a win win since it'll allow Hofer a chance to be an undisputed #1 in Springfield.
Yeah, it's definitely a question mark and comes with a risk. But, he has started 28 games in the NHL and won more than he's lost, and most coming with a pretty bad Montreal team. And it's not just the 5 games with the Blues but he's been brilliant in the AHL this season too. If they can get something out of him at a cheap salary cap hit it'd be huge for this team. I have no idea how the organization views him though, Army stopped taking my calls a long time ago.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:44 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:36 am

I hope the Blues can find a way to fit him in the budget but if going to Charlie Sideburns as your backup allows you to improve elsewhere, I am for it. Only takes one team that views him as their #1 to come in and price the Blues out.
As long as Chucky can hold up as an NHL backup over the course of a whole season, it's a win win since it'll allow Hofer a chance to be an undisputed #1 in Springfield.
Chucky's a UFA, too.
Understood but if you could guarantee him the backup job here, I'm sure he'd take it. Why leave the coaching that has gotten your career back on track and his willing to promote you(if they are)?

Robb_K wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:53 pm
BillP. wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:01 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: First order of business should be to resign Perron. Then you figure out how to move cap space for an upgrade on LHD.
You're upgrade might be resigning Leddy. That's another thing Elliot Friedman said yesterday. That Doug Armstrong doesn't like to trade for rentals. So don't be surprised if he tries to work him in.
I'm sure that Leddy will be signed to a cap-friendly deal. He's made plenty of money over the years and didn't enjoy his stay with bottom-feeder Detroit. I'm sure he'd rather be on a Cup contender, with a great clubhouse atmosphere, like The Blues. Still, I assume that Armstrong will also look for a trade (which might include Scandella, Barbashev, the rights to sign Husso early, and other (more valuable assets) to add a Top3 left defenceman.

Perron WILL be signed to a cap friendly home town discount contract. He's made plenty of money and will want to stay with his friends and keep his family from being uprooted.

Army has already stated publicly that he will deal with Tarasenko's contract after the 2023-24 season (after he sees how the team's players progress, how the team performs, how Vladdy plays, what The Cap will be, what The Blues' Cap situation will be, and what trades will be available to improve the team, and how much Tarasenko would want to re-sign, and how many years he would want). So, it seems obvious that Tarasenko wants to play for The Blues next season, and look at his options after that. His demand to be traded seems to have been revoked. I think it's hard to tell now, whether or not he'll be re-signed after next season.

I think that Bozak may be re-signed to a cap-friendly deal, as well.
Where was this said? Not questioning it, just hadn't heard this and would be interested in reading/listening to it.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:02 pm
Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:44 am

Chucky's a UFA, too.
Understood but if you could guarantee him the backup job here, I'm sure he'd take it. Why leave the coaching that has gotten your career back on track and his willing to promote you(if they are)?
In the end, it's all about the $$$

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:03 pm
Robb_K wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:53 pm

You're upgrade might be resigning Leddy. That's another thing Elliot Friedman said yesterday. That Doug Armstrong doesn't like to trade for rentals. So don't be surprised if he tries to work him in.
I'm sure that Leddy will be signed to a cap-friendly deal. He's made plenty of money over the years and didn't enjoy his stay with bottom-feeder Detroit. I'm sure he'd rather be on a Cup contender, with a great clubhouse atmosphere, like The Blues. Still, I assume that Armstrong will also look for a trade (which might include Scandella, Barbashev, the rights to sign Husso early, and other (more valuable assets) to add a Top3 left defenceman.

Perron WILL be signed to a cap friendly home town discount contract. He's made plenty of money and will want to stay with his friends and keep his family from being uprooted.

Army has already stated publicly that he will deal with Tarasenko's contract after the 2023-24 season (after he sees how the team's players progress, how the team performs, how Vladdy plays, what The Cap will be, what The Blues' Cap situation will be, and what trades will be available to improve the team, and how much Tarasenko would want to re-sign, and how many years he would want). So, it seems obvious that Tarasenko wants to play for The Blues next season, and look at his options after that. His demand to be traded seems to have been revoked. I think it's hard to tell now, whether or not he'll be re-signed after next season.

I think that Bozak may be re-signed to a cap-friendly deal, as well.
Where was this said? Not questioning it, just hadn't heard this and would be interested in reading/listening to it.
That was at The Blues Annual Season Wrap-Up Press Conference Yesterday (or the day before?) I watched it on You-Tube.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:49 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: First order of business should be to resign Perron. Then you figure out how to move cap space for an upgrade on LHD.
imo, he’s not an upgrade. He wasn’t good vs Colorado including getting absolutely embarrassed by McKinnon. Better options available
not many players haven't...
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:33 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:29 am
Neighbours is still playing. WHL Final starts soon.
Really curious to see how his off-season goes and what role he plays next season.
I wonder if Barbashev gets moved this summer. He had a really nice season but is only one year removed from UFA. Neighbours can probably assume at least a little of the role he served this year for less than half the cost.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:09 pm

imo, he’s not an upgrade. He wasn’t good vs Colorado including getting absolutely embarrassed by McKinnon. Better options available
Leddy is the guy I have absolutely 0 strong feelings towards one way or another. He did perfectly fine here post UFA, but regardless of whether they keep him in the fold or let him walk, I can't imagine it draws more than a shrug from me.

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:01 am

Leddy is the guy I have absolutely 0 strong feelings towards one way or another. He did perfectly fine here post UFA, but regardless of whether they keep him in the fold or let him walk, I can't imagine it draws more than a shrug from me.
If he's brought back to the the LHD on the Blues "shutdown" defensive pair with Parayko I will have strong feelings and YOU ALL WILL HAVE TO HEAR ABOUT IT

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:58 am

If he's brought back to the the LHD on the Blues "shutdown" defensive pair with Parayko I will have strong feelings and YOU ALL WILL HAVE TO HEAR ABOUT IT
If not Leddy, who would you all like to see the Blues take a run at?

I'm interested in what everyone thinks about this.

So immature, Wes. I have NEVER expressed any strong opinions on here, or tried to force others to share my perspective.

BluesSK wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:10 am

I don't know who the target would be, but If 91 still wants to be traded, do you consider making a hockey trade for a solid d-man, or does that leave too big a hole upfront? (Hee hee..... too big a hole up front.... That's what he said.)

insideout wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:58 am If he's brought back to the the LHD on the Blues "shutdown" defensive pair with Parayko I will have strong feelings and YOU ALL WILL HAVE TO HEAR ABOUT IT

I don't know who the target would be, but If 91 still wants to be traded, do you consider making a hockey trade for a solid d-man, or does that leave too big a hole upfront? (Hee hee..... too big a hole up front.... That's what he said.)
Make a hockey trade for Luke Schenn. Cap hit 850K. Still lays the hits.

Brett Kulak has had a nice run with Edmonton since coming over from Montreal at the deadline if we are looking for a FA. But I think it’d have to come via trade from a team looking to shake things up. A true hockey trade.

BillP. wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:58 pm
insideout wrote:

Make a hockey trade for Luke Schenn. Cap hit 850K. Still lays the hits.
You've got that right. He gave his brother a broken rib or two with a hit late this season.

barnburner wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:18 pm
BluesSK wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:24 am Schenn is a warrior. My God.
Wow! I knew he had grit, but 3 sets of broken ribs, and a torn oblique? And he kept slamming and fighting? Must have some Plager in his bloodlines.
That's great and all, but at what point should he have bowed out? Playing hurt for the team is one thing, doing it when you're a liability is another.

Responding to the poster that said Barbie might have to go....I agree, time to sell high. I love the guy, but I think this season was an outlier.

netboy65 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:21 am

Responding to the poster that said Barbie might have to go....I agree, time to sell high. I love the guy, but I think this season was an outlier.
Blues have a handful of guys that fall into this category. Army can pretty much do what he pleases this off-season via trade. If he really wants to make a splash, you trade Kyrou.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:29 am
netboy65 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:21 am

Blues have a handful of guys that fall into this category. Army can pretty much do what he pleases this off-season via trade. If he really wants to make a splash, you trade Kyrou.
I just wonder how that works. For Kyrou you'd be bringing in a pretty big fish, and as such you'd have to move out a fair amount of salary. People have talked about Tkachuk as the centerpiece of a Kyrou deal, but how do you get the money to work. Would you package Kyrou in a deal for Chychrun since he's relatively cheap? If so what else do you add on either side? I could see this offseason being very exciting or very boring.