Ted Hampson

A name that should be familiar to any & all old-timers @ BNF, and maybe even to some of you younger punks. St. Louis Blues Director of Amateur Scouting from the early 1980s to the early 2000s, after a 19-season pro playing career in the NHL & WHA & AHL and a few years of head coaching & GM work.

The reason I bring up his name is because Mrs. JMC & I are attending the North American Hockey League (Tier II Jr. A) championship tournament in Blaine, MN this extended weekend, and some guy was holding up the line at the box office when we arrived Friday afternoon to purchase our event passes. My first thought was: "Fucking stupid old geezer, doesn't understand he has to pay to get in to watch." But then I heard him giving his name & E-mail address to the young clerk behind the glass, and realized who he was. Quick check of his Canucks ballcap & his Elite Prospects profile, and it was confirmed that he is attending the tournament as part of his 10th year of professional duties as a scout for Vancouver.

He is 85 years-old (an underclassman during Robb_K's 3rd senior year in high school?), and he's still traveling the continent to find future NHL talent. I've seen him since that first encounter at the arena, standing away from the much younger pro & college & USHL scouts who have been schmoozing & clogging up the narrow concourses around the rink. He also sat across the aisle from us on the wooden bleacher seats for a period on Saturday night, jotting down player notes on his fistful of roster sheets. I'm not a fan old people (being one myself), but I do admire Mr. Hampson's stamina & his enduring love of the game. Stick taps to him.

Re: Ted Hampson

JMC-STL wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:29 am A name that should be familiar to any & all old-timers @ BNF, and maybe even to some of you younger punks. St. Louis Blues Director of Amateur Scouting from the early 1980s to the early 2000s, after a 19-season pro playing career in the NHL & WHA & AHL and a few years of head coaching & GM work.

The reason I bring up his name is because Mrs. JMC & I are attending the North American Hockey League (Tier II Jr. A) championship tournament in Blaine, MN this extended weekend, and some guy was holding up the line at the box office when we arrived Friday afternoon to purchase our event passes. My first thought was: "Fucking stupid old geezer, doesn't understand he has to pay to get in to watch." But then I heard him giving his name & E-mail address to the young clerk behind the glass, and realized who he was. Quick check of his Canucks ballcap & his Elite Prospects profile, and it was confirmed that he is attending the tournament as part of his 10th year of professional duties as a scout for Vancouver.

He is 85 years-old (an underclassman during Robb_K's 3rd senior year in high school?), and he's still traveling the continent to find future NHL talent. I've seen him since that first encounter at the arena, standing away from the much younger pro & college & USHL scouts who have been schmoozing & clogging up the narrow concourses around the rink. He also sat across the aisle from us on the wooden bleacher seats for a period on Saturday night, jotting down player notes on his fistful of roster sheets. I'm not a fan old people (being one myself), but I do admire Mr. Hampson's stamina & his enduring love of the game. Stick taps to him.
Never retire.

If you love what you are doing, never quit.

JMC-STL wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:29 am A name that should be familiar to any & all old-timers @ BNF, and maybe even to some of you younger punks. St. Louis Blues Director of Amateur Scouting from the early 1980s to the early 2000s, after a 19-season pro playing career in the NHL & WHA & AHL and a few years of head coaching & GM work.

You should have sent him over one of your famous prune-juice cocktails.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:52 amYou should have sent him over one of your famous prune-juice cocktails.
After being told the "pass" that his employers had given him wasn't valid for entry to the complex, I figured he was fully evacuated without help from my miracle curative.

Ha! Ha! Good Ol' Ted still beating the bushes to find young talent! I didn't agree with his choices when he was a scout for The Blues and didn't like his work as Blues' Head of Scouting. So, I don't mind him still scouting for The Canucks (who I don't like, given that I'm a Jets and Blues fan). Amazing that he's still travelling a lot to scout for an NHL team. I have to give him credit for being able to hold a job at his age. I can barely work about half-time at home, and I'm almost 10 years younger than he is.