Re: GDT - Rnd 2, Gm 1: Blues @ Avs, 8:30p CT - TNT, SN, CBC, TVAS

It's good that Husso came down to Earth in his last 2 games so that Binner could show what he has. It might well be that it has changed both their career paths. Now, were back to the possibility that they'll lose Husso in free agency. I'm still hoping he'll resign for $2.5-$3 million average per year because he's still unproven (with too small a sample size. Binnington's return to form keeps The Blues from thinking Husso is their #1 of the near future. Binnington has better fundamentals, overall, when he's on his game. And now, it looks like he's back (I hope for the long haul). In any case, we can't dwell on next season's plans, while we're currently playing in an important series THIS season. But nice to see Binnington is back.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:09 am
CaptSMRT wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:02 am
Turk Sanderson wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:50 pm NHL officiating is total shit.
I'm not even worried. Blues in six... or seven
I know, just crazy how you can go from a series where dirty looks are penalties, to a game like this. The boys better start skating, or this is going to get ugly(ier).
Yeah, it wasn’t so much the Avs offense as it was they were forechecking hard too. They had puck pressure the whole game. Blues need to wake up and start skating. Zone exits need to be sharper and the forechecking has to be relentless. Do this and everything else will fall into place. If they keep playing at this pace then it’ll get ugly fast like you said.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:02 am
Turk Sanderson wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:50 pm NHL officiating is total shit.
I'm not even worried. Blues in six... or seven
I’m not sure what you saw that would suggest Colorado will lose 4 of the next 5 games but I like the optimism.
Well, Colorado was well rested. They probably can't skate like that every night. We can only hope. Blues still need to take their game to another level. And if Binner plays like this all series we got to capitalize on it. Can't win an OT game without a SOG.

man i feel like i watched a different game than you guys. the avs made us look absolutely silly. i stopped counting our turnovers somewhere in the 50s. absolutely brutal game that should have been 15-2 if not for binner channeling his inner hasek. if we had won, that would have been the most insane example of a goalie truly stealing a game i'd ever seen. we had no business even being in that game let alone winning it.

the soft passes and unforced turnovers just have to stop. if we continue to play like we did last night, it's going to be a short series.

yes, that was a fucked up call at the end of the 3rd. i watched fucking koharski of all people explain/defend it in the intermission. his point was that a player has to be in control of his stick at all times, and what we saw was someone being careless and reckless with his stick, therefore it was the absolute right call. there is no such thing as "low sticking" so they used "high sticking" as the official call. i definitely don't agree with the call - if anything should have been coincidental minors with the dive - but he explained it in a way that i understood the officials' mindset. my problem with it was that no one in that studio, not even toch, asked the obvious question - why is it that it seems like 99% of the time the officials call the reaction and not the play? if puffnuts over there had just kept skating, would have been no call. regardless, i'm glad it didn't directly decide the game, and it was good to see us get fired up.

was also good to see schenn and saad actually playing the body, as well as bortz and occasionally leddy. and man, binner has to be confident after that incredible performance. if the team can get their shit together, calm the fuck down and stop trying to force plays that aren't there, keep the puck on your stick and skate - hard - north at all times, we have a chance.

T.C. wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:37 am man i feel like i watched a different game than you guys. the avs made us look absolutely silly. i stopped counting our turnovers somewhere in the 50s. absolutely brutal game that should have been 15-2 if not for binner channeling his inner hasek. if we had won, that would have been the most insane example of a goalie truly stealing a game i'd ever seen. we had no business even being in that game let alone winning it.

the soft passes and unforced turnovers just have to stop. if we continue to play like we did last night, it's going to be a short series.

yes, that was a fucked up call at the end of the 3rd. i watched fucking koharski of all people explain/defend it in the intermission. his point was that a player has to be in control of his stick at all times, and what we saw was someone being careless and reckless with his stick, therefore it was the absolute right call. there is no such thing as "low sticking" so they used "high sticking" as the official call. i definitely don't agree with the call - if anything should have been coincidental minors with the dive - but he explained it in a way that i understood the officials' mindset. my problem with it was that no one in that studio, not even toch, asked the obvious question - why is it that it seems like 99% of the time the officials call the reaction and not the play? if puffnuts over there had just kept skating, would have been no call. regardless, i'm glad it didn't directly decide the game, and it was good to see us get fired up.

was also good to see schenn and saad actually playing the body, as well as bortz and occasionally leddy. and man, binner has to be confident after that incredible performance. if the team can get their shit together, calm the fuck down and stop trying to force plays that aren't there, keep the puck on your stick and skate - hard - north at all times, we have a chance.
Oh I absolutely agree. It was like watching Varsity vs. Freshmen, but they loaned the kids a better goalie to even things up. The absence of the Tarasenko-Thomas-Buch line was very alarming. The Avs were skating around everyone, but at least the other lines occaisionally provided some resistance or created a chance here and there. Hopefully there's some sort of strategic adjustment they can make that will allow those guys to actually be noticeable out there in a good way. The good news is it was enough of an ass kicking that motivation shouldn't be an issue over the next 36 hours.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

T.C. wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:37 am man i feel like i watched a different game than you guys. the avs made us look absolutely silly. i stopped counting our turnovers somewhere in the 50s. absolutely brutal game that should have been 15-2 if not for binner channeling his inner hasek. if we had won, that would have been the most insane example of a goalie truly stealing a game i'd ever seen. we had no business even being in that game let alone winning it.

I think most of us are in agreement with this. At least I know I am. There wasn't much to take away from that game that points toward good things ahead for the Blues. It is just one game, and things can quickly change but this game really wasn't competitive.

The Blues were dominated in every aspect of the game.

Shots 54-25
Faceoff 64-36
Hits 47-39

The shot chart below is shocking
Just a Russian propaganda account

The two players who stood out to me the most (other than Binnington of course) were Parayko and Thomas. And not in a good way.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:27 am More sad stats!
High Danger Scoring Chances:
Avs-18
Blues-5
High Danger Scoring Chances after 2nd period:
Avs- 8
Blues- 0

There's more, but you all get the idea.
That's just the thing. This game should have been 4.,5 maybe 6-1. The Blues have one forward who has shown up consistently these playoffs and that's ROR who now has a goal in 5 straight games. They are going to have to wake up on offense and figure it out quick because if their plan is to just hope Binner plays otherworldly every game than this isn't going beyond 5 games.

And it's just not all that the Blues were terrible...Colorado is a really f'n good hockey team. They have the ability to make good teams look bad.

Chief needs to come up with a great speech.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:32 am
Avs-18
Blues-5
Avs- 8
Blues- 0

That's just the thing. This game should have been 4.,5 maybe 6-1. The Blues have one forward who has shown up consistently these playoffs and that's ROR who now has a goal in 5 straight games. They are going to have to wake up on offense and figure it out quick because if their plan is to just hope Binner plays otherworldly every game than this isn't going beyond 5 games.

And it's just not all that the Blues were terrible...Colorado is a really f'n good hockey team. They have the ability to make good teams look bad.

The Avs came into this game in Hulk mode and the Blues weren't even Bruce Banner, they were skinny Steve Rogers.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

I think that if they call interference, and holding, like they do all year, and like they did in the first rounds, it would have been a much different game, The Blues make their living on the power-play, and the zebras did their best to not let that be the deciding factor. If the rules have changed, I wish that they would announce that fact....that way both teams would know that it's okay to set picks and hold and hit players away from the puck.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:40 am I think that if they call interference, and holding, like they do all year, and like they did in the first rounds, it would have been a much different game, The Blues make their living on the power-play, and the zebras did their best to not let that be the deciding factor. If the rules have changed, I wish that they would announce that fact....that way both teams would know that it's okay to set picks and hold and hit players away from the puck.
I think the message is out now. As long as they keep it consistent. If they switch back to calling every thing next game it's going to be incredible frustrating.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:37 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:32 am
Avs-18
Blues-5
Avs- 8
Blues- 0

The Avs came into this game in Hulk mode and the Blues weren't even Bruce Banner, they were skinny Steve Rogers.
They can do this all day