Re: GDT: St Louis Blues vs Toronto - 1/15 6:00 - TV: NHL Network

T.C. wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:48 am
ratonmono wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:36 pm Binnington needs to be better than he has. Haven't liked his play much at all since covid happened.
You mean since we won The Cup and he got paid? Yeah. I said i was worried about it at the time. Granted, I haven’t had the luxury of seeing him play much since then, but what I have seen, he isn’t close to elite.
He is rarely mediocre. He's either incredible or crappy from night to night. He's still a slightly above average starter to me, but he's not the Vezina level guy he was his first year. If you look at his year to year stats, 2018-19 was the clear outlier where he just had 0 off nights. I feel like when he retires fans will still be arguing over whether he was any good or not.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:01 pm
ratonmono wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:36 pm Binnington needs to be better than he has. Haven't liked his play much at all since covid happened.
You mean since we won The Cup and he got paid? Yeah. I said i was worried about it at the time. Granted, I haven’t had the luxury of seeing him play much since then, but what I have seen, he isn’t close to elite.
He is rarely mediocre. He's either incredible or crappy from night to night. He's still a slightly above average starter to me, but he's not the Vezina level guy he was his first year. If you look at his year to year stats, 2018-19 was the clear outlier where he just had 0 off nights. I feel like when he retires fans will still be arguing over whether he was any good or not.
He’s in danger of being our Matt Murray at this point. But our defensive game overall is nothing like the 18-19 team. Petro Bo Gunny Eddy are missed.

ratonmono wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:26 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:01 pm

He’s in danger of being our Matt Murray at this point. But our defensive game overall is nothing like the 18-19 team. Petro Bo Gunny Eddy are missed.
That's a real concern, though I don't think he's at risk of falling off to the degree that Murray did. Part of it is the team has evolved since the Cup year. The D certainly isn't as stout, but the team also scores a lot more and plays a bit more offensive minded. I've been on both sides of the Binnington fence over the last few years, but looking around the rest of the league, there are really only a handful of guys that you can really depend on on a yearly/nightly basis...like less than 5. I also don't think his contract is a problem as long as their backup isn't making very much.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!