Re: GDT: Blues vs Caps - 7:00 1/7 - TV:NHL Net

Robb_K wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:37 pm Best game played by The Blues this season (especially after their sloppy 1st Period). They certainly look for real as a solid Stanley Cup contender. Their young players are only going to improve as the season wears on, and the teams new players will get more and used to their line and shiftmates, and more integrated into the team's systems. I'm really excited to see how they fare in the playoffs. I just need to hear an announcement from Tarasenko that he rescinds his trade request, and wants tostay with the Blues permanently. :mrgreen:
No kidding… I think he’s having the time of his Blues career playing with this bunch.

Robb_K wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:17 pm
RAFritchey wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:09 pm
Robb_K wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:00 pm Great 2nd Period by The Blues. They tightened up their Neutral Zone game, and as The Caps were still sloppy with the puck, The Blues jumped on their mistakes (loose pucks), and got a bunch of odd-man rushes, 3 of them leading to goals. The Blues have been playing too well for most of this season to have it be a fluke. I think they're for real because of breakout seasons by Kyrou, Thomas, Barbashev, and Husso, and Krug's more solid integration into the team's game, better play by Binnington, and Buchnevich's and Saad's solid play. Their newfound ability to score regularly (with no droughts) both at ES AND on The Power Play, helps their slight loss of defensive skill by losing Pietrangelo. Playing much better in The Neutral Zone, and keeping the puck in The O-Zone much more, helps out the team defence.
I think being able to have more confidence in the 'next wave' of depth players like Walker, Kostin, Lindgren, and Brown (among others) helps a lot, too, and the experience they've gotten so far (and surely will get more of) could be a HUGE factor in the playoffs, especially for the kind of four-line game the Blues tend to play.
Yes. The Blues are so very deep. And that couldn't have happened at a more fortunate time. They can weather The Covid Protocol problems better than almost ANY other NHL team. I keep wondering why we don't hear reports that Tarasenko has told Army that he's decided to retract his request to be traded. I certainly would if I were in his position.
I don't want him to go, but I have to say I've got MAD respect for him for keeping the off-ice issues from dragging down his on-ice play. He's been probably the best he's ever been so far this season.
It could still work in our favor, though. While you can't truly replace him, if we can trade him in the off season for draft picks/prospects or younger players, and then use his salary (and a few others who likely won't be back like Neal, Bozak, and Bortuzzo) to keep some of our younger, breakout players over the next two years, too, it might work out for the best.

BillP. wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:01 am Blues looked great. I’m starting to believe Barbashev has emerged as the player I’d hoped he be when we drafted him. Was super excited when we drafted him. He’s looking just fine in an offensive role. Blues best in the West.
He believed in himself and is proving correct. I remember after the Stanley Cup year there were rumors he was going to go back to Russia because he thought he could be more than a 4th line grinder and there was a real chance he was going to go and there were Blues fans that were fine with it.

Glad it's worked out how it has. He has played 34 games this year and already has a career high in points.

The fun part of his goal is the buffoon Tom Wilson going for an open ice hit on an already covered man leaving Barbashev all by himself for the goal. Brilliant

Just a Russian propaganda account