Re: Ben Bishop forced to call it a career

Theiceman wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:20 am
Robb_K wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:50 pm
BluesSK wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:15 pm

I respect people who try to keep up with technology and different advancements. See way too many people let the world pass them by. I think it keeps them young.
I need to constantly improve my abilities in a handful languages that I speak, but need to improve on for my work, and even one for one of the countries in which I reside part year. Plus, I am working at 75 years old. I do my best under those circumstances, learning as much as I can of the basics of the most important programs I need, but just don't have time to learn a lot of the details of what is required to master the new, complicated graphics programs. I have other priorities. I seem to be about in the middle of the pack of 75 year olds when it comes to current technology. Like you, I respect those old-timers who master the new technologies. Most of the people with whom I work are in their 20s or early 30s. THAT helps keep me young. They are more than willing to help me with my graphics needs. Also, living in 5 countries, and moving to each one (6 moves per year) keeps me young (or is that tired?). :mrgreen:
Congrats on the 75 Robb - geez, wish I was that age again! Keep on comin' with the sage comments.
Are you in your 80s or 90s? I'd like to hear your take on The NHL during the 1940s. Do you remember Rocket Richard as a youngster? He was something else! And so was Gordie Howe. And I'd like to get a first-hand remembrance of The St. Louis Flyers, of The AHL, IF you watched them some. We didn't follow them much in Winnipeg, unless the son of friends or a family member was playing for them. And my family had none who ever played for The Flyers, although we had Ab McDonald, Andy Bathgate, all of whom played for short periods in The AHL. So we followed their seasons there in the late 1940s and early '50s. But I never saw any AHL games. We had The Western League (pro league) in Winnipeg during the 1950s and early '60s. It was a step down from The AHL.

Ooops, must've given you the impression I was really old, not so. I'll turn 80 in February. Didn't really get interested in professional hockey until we moved to St. Louis in '70 so I missed the older glory years/decades. However, I did attend the University of Wisconsin in the early '60s and enjoyed watching their fledgling hockey program which, obviously, has progressed very nicely over the years. On a personal note, my only contact with any really notable hockey players came when I was in the Atlanta airport sometime in the mid '80s on business and noticed a very familiar face trudging along heading for his assigned gate. The man was none other than Gordie Howe so I approached him and asked if he wasn't a very famous hockey player. He said he supposed he was, we shook hands and each went our way. Softest hand I'd ever had the fortune to shake.

Theiceman wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:24 am Ooops, must've given you the impression I was really old, not so. I'll turn 80 in February. Didn't really get interested in professional hockey until we moved to St. Louis in '70 so I missed the older glory years/decades. However, I did attend the University of Wisconsin in the early '60s and enjoyed watching their fledgling hockey program which, obviously, has progressed very nicely over the years. On a personal note, my only contact with any really notable hockey players came when I was in the Atlanta airport sometime in the mid '80s on business and noticed a very familiar face trudging along heading for his assigned gate. The man was none other than Gordie Howe so I approached him and asked if he wasn't a very famous hockey player. He said he supposed he was, we shook hands and each went our way. Softest hand I'd ever had the fortune to shake.
Cool story. Happy to see you participating on the board.

BluesSK wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:39 am
Theiceman wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:24 am Ooops, must've given you the impression I was really old, not so. I'll turn 80 in February. Didn't really get interested in professional hockey until we moved to St. Louis in '70 so I missed the older glory years/decades. However, I did attend the University of Wisconsin in the early '60s and enjoyed watching their fledgling hockey program which, obviously, has progressed very nicely over the years. On a personal note, my only contact with any really notable hockey players came when I was in the Atlanta airport sometime in the mid '80s on business and noticed a very familiar face trudging along heading for his assigned gate. The man was none other than Gordie Howe so I approached him and asked if he wasn't a very famous hockey player. He said he supposed he was, we shook hands and each went our way. Softest hand I'd ever had the fortune to shake.
Cool story. Happy to see you participating on the board.
Thanks BluesSK - happy to oblige. I'm just a casual observer to you folks who are the real experts on the Blues. I enjoy the banter and the heart-felt comments about a wonderful, one of a kind sport which takes more skill, in my opinion, than all other major sports combined. I'll continue to observe you guys and occasionally throw in an opinion.