Re: GDT: St Louis Blues at Arizona - 9:00 10/18 - TV:BSMW/ESPN+

insideout wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:18 am I am all for a zero tolerance policy on head butts and in favor of penalizing accordingly, but the act was far less likely to result in injury than a lot of stuff you see that draws a minor penalty or sometimes even no penalty. For example, based on what I saw, if I were given a choice of (1) being on the receiving of the head butt or (2) being on the receiving end of the cross check Buchenevich took prior to the head butt, I would have taken the first option.
Well Buch knows he can get suspended for a cross check to the face, so he wanted to mix it up:
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

insideout wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:18 am I am all for a zero tolerance policy on head butts and in favor of penalizing accordingly, but the act was far less likely to result in injury than a lot of stuff you see that draws a minor penalty or sometimes even no penalty. For example, based on what I saw, if I were given a choice of (1) being on the receiving of the head butt or (2) being on the receiving end of the cross check Buchenevich took prior to the head butt, I would have taken the first option.
I agree. That's why I'm hoping that the automatic one game suspension that comes with a match penalty get rescinded by Player Safety or that whoever crosschecked him in the chin/throat gets suspended as well. Buchenevich did not try to injure. At least, in my opinion, it was not an attempt to injure. Player Safety will look at and make a bad decision, as they always do.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

Positive: Great to see the younger players getting on-board, with both individual efforts and team play! They'll surely make some mistakes along the way, but as long as they learn from them and keep up the fire, passion, and teamwork, they could be a big part of carrying this team far this season.

Negative: Over the past two games, with a 'comfortable' lead going into the 3rd we've given up 4 goals and had one disallowed. We have to be ready for even the 'bad' teams to come out strong in those situations, meet the rising intensity with defensive discipline, and make the other team pay for taking risks by scoring again ourselves (IMHO).

Turk Sanderson wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:42 pm Crouse instigated it and got in two premeditated cross checks (one to the body, the other above the shoulders) and a sucker punch, ...he skates away with two minutes for one of his cross checks....and I guess Chychrun had no intent to harm Neighbors at the end of the game when he drove him face-first into the ice ala Tom Wilson/Panarin. ... Yeah, those refs blow dogs.
Certtain infractions (spearing and head butting come to mind) are automatic match penalties, so they have no choice but to assess the maximum penalty in those situations. But the shit they let go, while simultaneously assessing automatic match penalties, make them look like a joke. It's been that way for a very long time and probably won't change anytime soon.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:42 pm Crouse instigated it and got in two premeditated cross checks (one to the body, the other above the shoulders) and a sucker punch, ...he skates away with two minutes for one of his cross checks....and I guess Chychrun had no intent to harm Neighbors at the end of the game when he drove him face-first into the ice ala Tom Wilson/Panarin. ... Yeah, those refs blow dogs.
Certtain infractions (spearing and head butting come to mind) are automatic match penalties, so they have no choice but to assess the maximum penalty in those situations. But the shit they let go, while simultaneously assessing automatic match penalties, make them look like a joke. It's been that way for a very long time and probably won't change anytime soon.

While I can't disagree with that, that was a pretty bad head butt. I just got a chance to see it last night after reading about it here. From what I read it sounded almost incidental, maybe not even noticeable in real time. In fact it was pretty blatant, as were the cross checks, but as was pointed out, for whatever reason, head butts are dealt with more extremely than cross checks. Buch should know that. I can't even disagree with the 2 games. You just can't respond that way and expect to get away with it.

Rivermanfan wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:26 am
While I can't disagree with that, that was a pretty bad head butt. I just got a chance to see it last night after reading about it here. From what I read it sounded almost incidental, maybe not even noticeable in real time. In fact it was pretty blatant, as were the cross checks, but as was pointed out, for whatever reason, head butts are dealt with more extremely than cross checks. Buch should know that. I can't even disagree with the 2 games. You just can't respond that way and expect to get away with it.
Nasty head-butt for sure...Buchnevich was wrong to do it, and is paying the price for his misdeed. My problem with the whole thing is Crouse instigating the shit, cross-checking him twice with his stick (one above the shoulders), and sucker punching him, and then skating away with one 2 minute minor... that's whats fucked-up. When his 2 minutes were up. his team got a 3 minute power-play... The zebras totally fucked that up.... and the Chychrun thing at the end of the game should have him on the phone with New York also.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:50 am
Nasty head-butt for sure...Buchnevich was wrong to do it, and is paying the price for his misdeed. My problem with the whole thing is Crouse instigating the shit, cross-checking him twice with his stick (one above the shoulders), and sucker punching him, and then skating away with one 2 minute minor... that's whats fucked-up. When his 2 minutes were up. his team got a 3 minute power-play... The zebras totally fucked that up.... and the Chychrun thing at the end of the game should have him on the phone with New York also.
Isn't that exactly what pests are supposed to do in the NHL? I was fine with how that was called. Maybe give Crouse a double minor if they're serious about the cross-check crackdown. Head-butting is chicken shit. Cross checking like that happens in every game, sometimes multiple times. The only one that was at all problematic was the one that came up high, and he got a penalty for it. If Buch would've kept his cool it would've been a power play.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:29 pm

Isn't that exactly what pests are supposed to do in the NHL? I was fine with how that was called. Maybe give Crouse a double minor if they're serious about the cross-check crackdown. Head-butting is chicken shit. Cross checking like that happens in every game, sometimes multiple times. The only one that was at all problematic was the one that came up high, and he got a penalty for it. If Buch would've kept his cool it would've been a power play.
You've missed the instigator and sucker punch part. Those weren't two guys standing next to each other when the whistle blew... Crouse came across the ice to start some shit.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:00 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:29 pm
You've missed the instigator and sucker punch part. Those weren't two guys standing next to each other when the whistle blew... Crouse came across the ice to start some shit.

You see that kind of confrontation 5 times a game. Crouse didn't sneak up on him, they were looking right at each other for like 30 feet. I don't see any sucker punch. After he gets headbutted he shoves his face and drops his glove to try to fight him but the linesman is already there. I don't know man, I just don't see any officiating issues on this particular play.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:10 pmYou see that kind of confrontation 5 times a game. Crouse didn't sneak up on him, they were looking right at each other for like 30 feet. I don't see any sucker punch. After he gets headbutted he shoves his face and drops his glove to try to fight him but the linesman is already there. I don't know man, I just don't see any officiating issues on this particular play.
Yeah, well ... you're just a poopy-head! :x

JMC-STL wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:07 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:10 pmYou see that kind of confrontation 5 times a game. Crouse didn't sneak up on him, they were looking right at each other for like 30 feet. I don't see any sucker punch. After he gets headbutted he shoves his face and drops his glove to try to fight him but the linesman is already there. I don't know man, I just don't see any officiating issues on this particular play.
Yeah, well ... you're just a poopy-head! :x
Well you've got me there! :lol: