Re: Blues Training Camp 2021

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:28 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:54 pm Neal signs contract today. Mac Mac and Brown on waivers, Perunovich to AHL...

Didn't foresee a scenario Neighbours, Neal and Kostin all made it, but good for them.
I’ll tell you what, that’s a damn good hockey team right there
So, when Sundqvist comes back they can send Neighbours back to junior. He gets a good look for nine games maybe. If he plays well maybe someone else gets injured and he sticks up here.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:46 am One thing looking at that roster, for the first time since I don't know when, there's no obvious whipping boy. Who are we going to hate watch this season?
I'd think the most likely is Scandella. He'll see hard minutes with Parayko and hasn't looked good since he signed that contract. The "GIVE HIS MINUTES TO ONE OF THE KIDS" cries will be prevalent. If not him, one of the other D. All the question marks are on the back end.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:43 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:46 am One thing looking at that roster, for the first time since I don't know when, there's no obvious whipping boy. Who are we going to hate watch this season?
I'd think the most likely is Scandella. He'll see hard minutes with Parayko and hasn't looked good since he signed that contract. The "GIVE HIS MINUTES TO ONE OF THE KIDS" cries will be prevalent. If not him, one of the other D. All the question marks are on the back end.
Chief better not screw things up, with his Hitch-in-waiting lurking in the shadows.

Dave's a mess wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:43 am
Especially with Scotty P waiting in the wings.
Just a Russian propaganda account

T.C. wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:40 amReally looking forward to reading about how great the games are this coming season.
Go Old School, T.C., 101 ESPN. I learned & loved hockey following "the Blues skating left to right on your radio dial." Of course, I didn't have to suffer through the Chris Kerber & Joey Vitale clown show. I might've become a field hockey fan in that case.

JMC-STL wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:30 pm
T.C. wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:40 amReally looking forward to reading about how great the games are this coming season.
Go Old School, T.C., 101 ESPN. I learned & loved hockey following "the Blues skating left to right on your radio dial." Of course, I didn't have to suffer through the Chris Kerber & Joey Vitale clown show. I might've become a field hockey fan in that case.
Do those two even know left from right?

Seems like this is the opening night lineup unless something weird happens in Vail:

Forward group freaking rocks. Can't wait to see that second line...and third line...and fourth...and well the top line is great too.

On the back end kind of surprised Walman is in over Mikkola, but from the sounds of things Walman had a great second half of camp after a shaky start. Good for him. He's paid his dues and it'd be great to see him really solidify himself as an everyday NHLer.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:25 pm opening night lineup?

I like that pretty well, of course it always looks good on paper in October!!

The only thing that I might play with is rolling with Faulk/Krug as the number 1 pair, I think it will probably be more of a 1A/1B, depending on the game situation.

Can't wait to see some "real hockey" with fans and stuff.

LETS GO BLUES!!

BillP. wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:26 pm I think Mikkola s/b no. 5 on depth chart, not Walman. Mikkola is the type of defenseman we need and hopefully he can mold into that. I like Walman but only as a needed fill in. His style isn't what this group needs.
In theory that makes sense, but I'll provide the counterpoint. Right now, Mikkola/Walman are both third pairing LD. Since the third pairing RD is clearly Bortuzzo, Mikkola is redundant on the third pair. With Walman, you have a good puck mover on each pairing. The tradeoff is you lose Mikkola on the PK, but he had a lot of room for growth killing penalties last year. Regardless, you can still run out 4 other D on PK ahead of Walman anyway, and that's all you need.

Both those young guys will play. I bet we see more Mikkola if/when Perunovich is on the team.