Blues Training Camp 2021

The Blues announce that the first on-ice practice of the 2021 training camp will be Thursday

Thursday: 9:30 a.m. (Team 1) and noon (Team 2)
Friday: 10 a.m. (Team 2) and 11:30 a.m. (Team 1)

There will be 51 players in camp.

Here we are, days away from camp start and Vlad Tarasenko will be there. Who woulda thought? Not me. Also, did I miss the news of James Neal and Frolik being here?

Camp Roster
Forwards: Sam Anas (33), Nikita Alexandrov (59), Ivan Barbashev (49), Tyler Bozak (21), Pavel Buchnevich (89), Kyle Clifford (13), Tanner Dickinson (78), Dakota Joshua (54), Tanner Kaspick (83), Klim Kostin (37), Jordan Kyrou (25), Mathias Laferriere (58), Mackenzie MacEachern (28), Hugh McGing (56), Jake Neighbours (63), Ryan O'Reilly (90), Matthew Peca (53), David Perron (57), Brandon Saad (20), Zach Sanford (12), Brayden Schenn (10), Nolan Stevens (51), Vladimir Tarasenko (91), Nathan Todd (61), Alexei Toropchenko (65), Nathan Walker (26), Keean Washkurak (40).

Defense: Robert Bortuzzo (41), Tommy Cross (52), Justin Faulk (71), Tyson Galloway (71), Torey Krug (47), Griffin Luce (62), Niko Mikkola (77), Colton Parayko (55), Scott Perunovich (48), Calle Rosen (43), Steven Santini (36), Marco Scandella (6), Tyler Tucker (75), Jake Walman (46), Josh Wesley (86).

Goalies: Jordan Binnington (50), Will Cranley (85), Colten Ellis (45), Joel Hofer (1), Ville Husso (35), Charlie Lindgren (39).

Professional Tryouts: Michael Frolik (67), James Neal (81)

Injured: Zack Bolduc (76), Oskar Sundqvist (70).
Just a Russian propaganda account

Re: Blues Training Camp 2021

Turk Sanderson wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:25 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:44 am I'll be curious to see how long Thomas remains unsigned. I believe the last time an RFA missed time in training camp was Schwartz. That wound up being a 2 year bridge deal.
Is Thomas actually holding out like Schwartz, or are we waiting for Army to unload a contract or two?
Maybe a little of both? I don't really know. Sounds like Sundqvist will be on the shelf for a while, so if they throw him on LTIR they have room for a reasonable Thomas contract, but that's still temporary.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Turk Sanderson wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:23 pm
BluesSK wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:17 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:37 pm holdout over

Not too many questions marks now. Hope everyone stays healthy and has a good camp.
Still haven’t gotten any tougher than the team that got their asses handed to them by the Colorado Ice Dancers.
No arguments there at all. Won't see much of Kostin either, who does have some physicality.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:37 pm holdout over

Not too many questions marks now. Hope everyone stays healthy and has a good camp.
Still haven’t gotten any tougher than the team that got their asses handed to them by the Colorado Ice Dancers.
Well the Avs did literally everything better than the Blues in that series. I would rather they had addressed scoring or defending than punching. As it stands they haven't really improved any of the above. Hopefully a healthier season and development of some of the youngsters helps in all regards.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:32 am

Well the Avs did literally everything better than the Blues in that series. I would rather they had addressed scoring or defending than punching. As it stands they haven't really improved any of the above. Hopefully a healthier season and development of some of the youngsters helps in all regards.
Serious questions about this team from defensive standpoint. We'll see if Parayko can stay healthy and fill that shutdown role. I have my doubts on that. We'll see what steps Krug takes in year two? Hopefully be has that Faulk-like bump.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Blues team loaded up front. Will be interesting to see what kind of start they get off to this year. Need kids to show some stuff and give this team a boost -----Thomas, Kyrou, Kostin, Mikkola, and hopefully Perunovich surprises. Cup teams usually get jumper boosts from kids so lets hope we get that this year.

BillP. wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:22 am Blues team loaded up front. Will be interesting to see what kind of start they get off to this year. Need kids to show some stuff and give this team a boost -----Thomas, Kyrou, Kostin, Mikkola, and hopefully Perunovich surprises. Cup teams usually get jumper boosts from kids so lets hope we get that this year.
Don't forget Walman in that group. He had seemingly dropped off the map, but I felt really performed when called upon last year. Not a big Defensive D, but great with the puck and able to skate out of trouble. Probably a make or break year for him.

Rivermanfan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:02 am
BillP. wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:22 am Blues team loaded up front. Will be interesting to see what kind of start they get off to this year. Need kids to show some stuff and give this team a boost -----Thomas, Kyrou, Kostin, Mikkola, and hopefully Perunovich surprises. Cup teams usually get jumper boosts from kids so lets hope we get that this year.
Don't forget Walman in that group. He had seemingly dropped off the map, but I felt really performed when called upon last year. Not a big Defensive D, but great with the puck and able to skate out of trouble. Probably a make or break year for him.
I don't think tbe Blues want to expose Walman or Mikkola to waivers so it looks like Perunovich may start the season in the minors.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:17 am

Serious questions about this team from defensive standpoint. We'll see if Parayko can stay healthy and fill that shutdown role. I have my doubts on that. We'll see what steps Krug takes in year two? Hopefully be has that Faulk-like bump.
Yeah to me Parayko's health is the most important factor going into the year. When healthy he's as close as you can get in this league to a MacKinnon antidote. When not, he's just a middle of the road NHL defender playing a role for which he's overmatched.

As it stands right now, the forward group is terrific, but I have serious questions about the depth if you have to dip more than 1-2 deep into the AHL crowd. Unless Kostin finally makes a leap, there's no one that can fill a top 9 role for an extended time should injuries hit. Still, the forwards are the strength of the team.

Finally in net...don't get hurt, Jordan!

The Blues got cucked by a bunch of puzzies. No-one wanted to hit anyone or finish a check..Colorado did what they wanted whenever they wanted.... Toughness isn't all about fighting...it's about making the other guys too uncomfortable to play the way they want to. As things stand right now, the Blues are one Vince Dunn shorter as far as toughness, and that ain't saying much.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:57 am

The Blues got cucked by a bunch of puzzies. No-one wanted to hit anyone or finish a check..Colorado did what they wanted whenever they wanted.... Toughness isn't all about fighting...it's about making the other guys too uncomfortable to play the way they want to. As things stand right now, the Blues are one Vince Dunn shorter as far as toughness, and that ain't saying much.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love for the Blues to be tougher. I haaaaate watching the Blues get pushed around. Adding toughness on the back end would be great, but that's not why they lost. The Avs were just far better in every facet. They couldn't hit the top line because they couldn't keep up with them. MacKinnon had 9 points in 4 games for God's sake! Parayko is the only defender that can skate with that top Avs line, and he was like...70% health maybe?

The other troubling thing from last year was the deterioration of the PK. They finished 25th in the league at 77.8%. Know what it was in the playoffs? 50%!!!!! You can't be a tough team that's likely to spend more time in the box than your opponent when you can't kill said penalties. Mikkola growing into a guy that can play 20 minutes a night and kill penalties would go a long way.