ESPN+ for out of market hockey

Does anyone know how this will work next season. I live in NC and have subscribed to NHL.TV for the past few years to watch Blues games. Overall I have been happy with the product. With the new TV deal next year it looks like this service will be moved to ESPN+, which looks to be a pretty good deal, unless I'm missing something.

From what I can find it will cost $5.99/mo. with no contract. This is much cheaper than NHL.TV was, which ran $160/year I think. Color me skeptical I guess. Am I missing something, or will I be able to watch my beloved Blues next year for $6/mo.?? I'm sure you folks in the Lou will still get screwed somehow, which seems pretty messed up, but hopefully they work something out.

Anyone else look into this?

Re: ESPN+ for out of market hockey

Rivermanfan wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:10 am Does anyone know how this will work next season. I live in NC and have subscribed to NHL.TV for the past few years to watch Blues games. Overall I have been happy with the product. With the new TV deal next year it looks like this service will be moved to ESPN+, which looks to be a pretty good deal, unless I'm missing something.

From what I can find it will cost $5.99/mo. with no contract. This is much cheaper than NHL.TV was, which ran $160/year I think. Color me skeptical I guess. Am I missing something, or will I be able to watch my beloved Blues next year for $6/mo.?? I'm sure you folks in the Lou will still get screwed somehow, which seems pretty messed up, but hopefully they work something out.

ESPN+ is a great price to get all kinds of sports like Soccer, etc., but you won't get every Blues game going that route. Only select games being televised will be available for viewing. Why can't you just sign up on NHL.com and watch the games there? Though the Blues games tend to get blacked out but if I want to watch them live I just stream them on that nhl66.ir site. Works well.

BillP. wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:38 am
Rivermanfan wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:10 am Does anyone know how this will work next season. I live in NC and have subscribed to NHL.TV for the past few years to watch Blues games. Overall I have been happy with the product. With the new TV deal next year it looks like this service will be moved to ESPN+, which looks to be a pretty good deal, unless I'm missing something.

ESPN+ is a great price to get all kinds of sports like Soccer, etc., but you won't get every Blues game going that route. Only select games being televised will be available for viewing. Why can't you just sign up on NHL.com and watch the games there? Though the Blues games tend to get blacked out but if I want to watch them live I just stream them on that nhl66.ir site. Works well.
NHL.TV now redirects you to ESPN+, so perhaps they will now carry all of the games? Not sure. They have to have some option. While I doubt it was a huge money maker, I cant imagine them leaving that money on the table. It says they will carry "1000's of games", sounds like all of them, but not very specific.

Oh well, I'm sure more info will come out closer to the season. Just eager for some Blues hockey!! LGB!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:50 am
T.C. wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:58 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:09 pm ESPN+ is carrying all the games next season. That was a big part of their broadcast deal.
Even in market?
I don't believe so, but I can't find the piece I read that mentioned blackouts.
that's the issue right there. if they would cease this regional blackout practice for paid premium services, i'd join in a heartbeat. fuck bally sports midwest or whatever that glorified ticker is going to be, especially if they are going to want the prices posted earlier.

T.C. wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:18 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:50 am
T.C. wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:58 am

Even in market?
I don't believe so, but I can't find the piece I read that mentioned blackouts.
that's the issue right there. if they would cease this regional blackout practice for paid premium services, i'd join in a heartbeat. fuck bally sports midwest or whatever that glorified ticker is going to be, especially if they are going to want the prices posted earlier.
From what I've heard local viewers will get the opportunity to pay $20-$25 a month for the privilege of watching the local Cards and Blues games. I don't think that number is official, but based on Sinclair in other markets. I'm sure you can also get them on cable or satellite if they can get over themselves and reach some sort of agreement.

It just seems screwed up that the local fans have to pay the most to see local games. It reminds me of Chicago in the 80's when they withheld the local games from broadcast in order to try to drive up attendance. It really didn't help much, the only thing that did the trick was when they actually started winning some games. Of course streaming wasn't an option back in those days, but I'm sure he would have found a way to screw the fans somehow!!

Fuck the Blackhawks.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:33 am It always makes me laugh how it's easier and cheaper for out of market fans to watch the Blues than those of you who live in St Louis.
It's terrible, and it seems like it's an issue everywhere to varying degrees. Here in Chicago the Cubs started their own network last season, and almost everyone didn't have the channel until opening day. Comcast struck a deal with them at the 11th hour, but a lot of fans still don't have the network. Naturally I don't feel bad for those Cubs fans because they're soulless losers, but still. It's an industry-wide problem and it seems like it won't get any better any time soon.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!