Re: Non-Blues Offseason Trades/Signings/Rumors

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:16 am Being Nathan MacKinnon's teammate sounds super fun:
If they win the SC as a result of his leadership, then there will be fewer complaints I'm sure :)

It is what it is; he's a person who takes his position serious and demands other's do the same. The whole 'it's just a game' and 'let's have fun' is great, but when you're making millions as a professional athlete, why not perform at your best? Question we should also ask ourselves in our own professions and lifestyles.

now excuse me while I go pollute the air, drink a beer, and read more junk on the world wide web.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:18 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:16 am Being Nathan MacKinnon's teammate sounds super fun:
If they win the SC as a result of his leadership, then there will be fewer complaints I'm sure :)

It is what it is; he's a person who takes his position serious and demands other's do the same. The whole 'it's just a game' and 'let's have fun' is great, but when you're making millions as a professional athlete, why not perform at your best? Question we should also ask ourselves in our own professions and lifestyles.

now excuse me while I go pollute the air, drink a beer, and read more junk on the world wide web.
He’s a cherry picker who has a great and sometimes lucky shot. He relies on others to do the heavy lifting while he jumps on the ice for a couple shots and jumps back off. He has the good fortune to play with some hard workers that make him look like a superstar... put him on a less talented team, and he’s not the same guy. Fuck him and the horse he rode in on.

Meanwhile, Phil Kessel and Pat Maroon bury themselves in hot dogs, toasted ravs, and Stanley Cup rings. I don't seem to recall Sidney Crosby or ROR freaking out and embarassing anyone who missed a pass in practice. You can win while not being a monster to be around. In fact, all of those examples seem to imply that perhaps the two are related.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:43 pm

Meanwhile, Phil Kessel and Pat Maroon bury themselves in hot dogs, toasted ravs, and Stanley Cup rings. I don't seem to recall Sidney Crosby or ROR freaking out and embarassing anyone who missed a pass in practice. You can win while not being a monster to be around. In fact, all of those examples seem to imply that perhaps the two are related.
I get your point, but I wouldn't compare MacKinnon's leadership (as a Captain and on-ice performance) with that of two 3rd/4th line players who are great role players, but not exactly shining examples of fitness and leadership. I'm sure Crosby, Gretzky, and all generational superstar players are closer in leadership style, personality, and fitness/lifestyle choices to MacKinnon than they are Maroon or Kessel.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:15 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:43 pm

I get your point, but I wouldn't compare MacKinnon's leadership (as a Captain and on-ice performance) with that of two 3rd/4th line players who are great role players, but not exactly shining examples of fitness and leadership. I'm sure Crosby, Gretzky, and all generational superstar players are closer in leadership style, personality, and fitness/lifestyle choices to MacKinnon than they are Maroon or Kessel.
There's a not all that fine line between "admirably committed" and "psychotic loon". I know which side of the line the guy who monitors a bunch of adults pasta sauce falls on.

With Pelech signed, more Islanders related dominos will start to fall. They haven't announced the AAV yet, but a big chunk of their $17M cap space will likely be accounted for. They supposedly have a deal in the drawer for Palmieri still to announce, and have RFA Beauvillier to account for via an extension or trade. All relevant to a potential Tarasenko trade of course.

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:25 am

With Pelech signed, more Islanders related dominos will start to fall. They haven't announced the AAV yet, but a big chunk of their $17M cap space will likely be accounted for. They supposedly have a deal in the drawer for Palmieri still to announce, and have RFA Beauvillier to account for via an extension or trade. All relevant to a potential Tarasenko trade of course.
$5.75 AAV. Lou Lamoriello still gives me nightmares, but damn is he good at his job.

ratonmono wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:18 pm I don’t care what JR has been saying, it makes zero sense to trade Tarasenko right now if his value around the league is so low. Play him, if he really wants to get moved he will up his value by tearing it up if he still can. If he can’t or the shoulder gives out then LTIR his ass and move on.
It's going to come totally out of the blue to a team you don't expect.

ratonmono wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:18 pm I don’t care what JR has been saying, it makes zero sense to trade Tarasenko right now if his value around the league is so low. Play him, if he really wants to get moved he will up his value by tearing it up if he still can. If he can’t or the shoulder gives out then LTIR his ass and move on.
Or he plays like he did when he came back last year, his value gets lower, you don't have that cap space to add to your roster, and you have to deal with it for another year or pay a premium for another team to take on his contract. He's gotta go.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:26 pm
BluesSK wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:20 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:11 pm If you have young sons move heaven and earth to train them to become NHL level defensemen:
Wow! Is he that elite to be making that kind of cash?

He had some growing pains as a youmg dman but i haven't paid much attention to him in a while.
Hes better than Seth Jones
Seth Jones made so many defensemen so much money. Luckily Parayko is on more of a Pelech level in terms of offensive production. If his next deal is in the 7s we win.

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:22 pm
Or he plays like he did when he came back last year, his value gets lower, you don't have that cap space to add to your roster, and you have to deal with it for another year or pay a premium for another team to take on his contract. He's gotta go.
We’re going to have to pay for him to go if it’s right now. Who has cap space to take him on right now that he will waive for?
Even if he plays like he did last year he’s a 50-60point winger. He had 14 points in 24 games and his shot was finally coming around at the end. He’s only got one year left after this one. Make a team desperate at the deadline or next summer pay the price. It would be terrible management for Army to move him just to move him. Which I have faith he won’t.

ratonmono wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:34 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:22 pm
We’re going to have to pay for him to go if it’s right now. Who has cap space to take him on right now that he will waive for?
Even if he plays like he did last year he’s a 50-60point winger. He had 14 points in 24 games and his shot was finally coming around at the end. He’s only got one year left after this one. Make a team desperate at the deadline or next summer pay the price. It would be terrible management for Army to move him just to move him. Which I have faith he won’t.
I don't know that we'll have to pay a premium or not right now, I'd believe a wide range of returns. As for the cap space, the oft mentioned Devils and Islanders have plenty. I threw out CBJ this morning, but that's just baseless speculation on my part. The point is there are teams out there with room. I totally get the logic of waiting and hoping improved play raises his value, but the problem is those other teams will start using up their cap space elsewhere if you wait that long. Also the longer he'd theoretically play at a healthy and productive level, he'd have the ticking timeclock of his contract work against him. The same player is more valuable at the beginning of a season than he is at the trade deadline of that season just due to the amount of utility you get out of him. Finally, the elephant in the room is if they ignored the offseason smear campaign and he does play for the Blues in the fall, how confident is anyone that he stays healthy long enough to trade him later? I just hate the concept of going into the season with a player on the roster that you intend to get rid of before the season is over. How do you build a winning roster around that, particularly when he makes so much money?

Francis has a pretty good track record with dmen from his Carolina days. Seattle will get the most out of Dunn. Happy for Vince though. People are fixated that he is only what we saw here...3rd pairing dman. He’s a top 4...Seattle will utilize him and benefit.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:12 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:26 pm
BluesSK wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:20 pm

Wow! Is he that elite to be making that kind of cash?

He had some growing pains as a youmg dman but i haven't paid much attention to him in a while.
Hes better than Seth Jones
Seth Jones made so many defensemen so much money. Luckily Parayko is on more of a Pelech level in terms of offensive production. If his next deal is in the 7s we win.
Turns out he's not elite, just overpaid.