Re: Non-Blues Offseason Trades/Signings/Rumors

BluesSK wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:59 pm
BillP. wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:21 pm
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:47 pm I would have given Hoffman that deal. Who knows, maybe he wanted to leave.
Yeah, that was an offer we could beat. Berube did cost him a few bucks waiting so long to employ him better. He would of had bigger numbers if used properly all season.
Berube dicked him over too much. Not a surprise at all he left.
I'd be furious if Armstrong gave Hoffman that deal. He does one thing extremely well (PP one timers from dot) and everything else at an ECHL level.

That skill is valuable for sure, but not 3x4.5 or whatever the Habs gave him.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:34 am

Yeah, that was an offer we could beat. Berube did cost him a few bucks waiting so long to employ him better. He would of had bigger numbers if used properly all season.
I'd be furious if Armstrong gave Hoffman that deal. He does one thing extremely well (PP one timers from dot) and everything else at an ECHL level.

I pick you for President of the Hoffman haters club. I like him and I think we’d all appreciate him more if he was used better last season. The guy was a plus 2 so it’s not like he was hideous out there. You can’t win without goals and late in the year there was at least 3 games he won for us by himself. When the Blues are working their ass off and come up empty firing blanks, maybe more people will appreciate a guy that can fill the back of the net. There’s a reason Army was still interested in him and he probably did match the offer cause that was a cheap price, but I don’t blame Hoff for bolting if the offers were the same cause he’ll get to skate in Montreal unlike here.

I have no comment one way or the other as to the contract he received. I was mainly focused on the way he was utilized here as a player and how that would have affected his re-signing or not.

BillP. wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:20 am

I pick you for President of the Hoffman haters club. I like him and I think we’d all appreciate him more if he was used better last season. The guy was a plus 2 so it’s not like he was hideous out there. You can’t win without goals and late in the year there was at least 3 games he won for us by himself. When the Blues are working their ass off and come up empty firing blanks, maybe more people will appreciate a guy that can fill the back of the net. There’s a reason Army was still interested in him and he probably did match the offer cause that was a cheap price, but I don’t blame Hoff for bolting if the offers were the same cause he’ll get to skate in Montreal unlike here.
I accept your nomination. Don't give big contracts to players that are big liabilities anytime they're on the ice at even strength. I'd be fine if he was a 4th liner that played on PP1, provided he was paid like it. He's not paid like it. Enjoy Montreal, Mike.

I would have supported bringing him back at that price and term. He serves a role that we are missing on this team. I really didn't think he was even that much of a defensive liability either. He would hustle back for the puck and at least made a reasonable effort at back checking. He just wasn't used correctly here until late in the season, and that shows.

The interesting thing is that he may be moving into a similar situation with the Habs. They play a similar game to what the Blues, at least, try to do. It will be interesting to see if their coaching will do a better job of incorporating his skill set into their style of play. I think that has something to do with the low dollars and short term.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:52 am

I accept your nomination. Don't give big contracts to players that are big liabilities anytime they're on the ice at even strength. I'd be fine if he was a 4th liner that played on PP1, provided he was paid like it. He's not paid like it. Enjoy Montreal, Mike.
:lol:

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:11 pm Rangers are done being pushed around. Hi Tom Wilson

Loved Reaves but that's hilarious. He literally will have zero impact on the Rangers on ice and won't scare Wilson. Teams don't need protection from bullies they need to find more physically aggressive players that can skate and hit.
When is the last time a team had as many suspensions during a playoff run as our 2019 Blues? We had no enforcer but Maroon, Barby, Sunny, Blais, Schenn would run through the opposition.

So acquiring Reaves in a vacuum isn't the worst thing for the Rangers (though a third rounder seems a little steep), but their whole offseason has been about unloading skill for brawn. I don't know who's going to put the puck in the net when the first line is off the ice, but they sure will punch you in the face if you're mean to their top liners.

They definitely needed to get tougher this offseason, but I think they've overreacted. Time will tell I suppose. Thanks for Buch though!

Oh good for the Blue Jackets finally locking up a young talented player...wait 57.5 divided by 6 is what??!!?!??!

Man, either Werenski made them pay a premium to keep him around or the BJs like Werenski a lot more than anybody else does. He's a very good player but that's a bonkers contract. He was an RFA at the end of his current deal and is going to be making more than Cale Makar when it kicks in. That's absolutely insane.

ratonmono wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:21 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:11 pm Rangers are done being pushed around. Hi Tom Wilson

Loved Reaves but that's hilarious. He literally will have zero impact on the Rangers on ice and won't scare Wilson. Teams don't need protection from bullies they need to find more physically aggressive players that can skate and hit.
When is the last time a team had as many suspensions during a playoff run as our 2019 Blues? We had no enforcer but Maroon, Barby, Sunny, Blais, Schenn would run through the opposition.
Tom Wilson single handedly ruined the Rangers franchise and they had absolutely no answer for it. He took a guys head off and then his team beat up the entire Rangers team. It was one of the most embarrassing moments for a hockey team. Not sure where you’re getting Reaves and can’t skate or hit from.
Just a Russian propaganda account