Re: Blues Offseason Roster Moves/Speculation Thread

So lots of people have been talking about Jamie Oleksiak as a good fit here, but if he's too expensive or the Blues don't have a ton of cash left after bigger name signings, I think Jake McCabe would be a great target. He's 27, will be cheap, and actually posted solid defensive numbers with Buffalo while dragging Rasmus Ristolainen's corpse around the ice until he got hurt last year. Throw him with a healthy Parayko and it'd be like him trading in a Ford Pinto for a rocket ship.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

BluesSK wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:54 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:50 pm I like what Jamie Rivers said: Offer sheet Cale Makar 10-10.5/yr for the max years (7?) and either Gain one of the best DMEN in the game OR force colorado's hands so then we can DEFINITELY get Landeskog as they won't be able to afford him
If Landeskog actually were to sign with the Blues though. He could just go somewhere else.
Should Landeskog leave, it’s gonna be all on him to feed the cherries to MacKinnon ... he’d Bebe better served to gtfo of Colorado and follow Landeskog.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:54 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:50 pm I like what Jamie Rivers said: Offer sheet Cale Makar 10-10.5/yr for the max years (7?) and either Gain one of the best DMEN in the game OR force colorado's hands so then we can DEFINITELY get Landeskog as they won't be able to afford him
If Landeskog actually were to sign with the Blues though. He could just go somewhere else.
True, however the avs would have a HUGE contract with a flat cap for a few yrs :)
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:07 am
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:58 am Also, what do we think about the Blues going after Ryan Suter now that he’s bought out? He isn’t what he used to be but he’s still got miles left and is, at the very least, a consistent performer who can defend.
I'm assuming he's an absolute locker room cancer, so pass. Parise sucks and makes sense to buy out. Suter isn't a great value, but he's probably about a $5M player this past season. You don't buy that player out at that contract and kill your team for 2 seasons not far down the road unless something is majorly wrong.
They both had NMCs so they would have been required to be protected in the expansion draft. I don't think he was so much a locker room cancer, so much as they know he's not in their future plans and don't want to lose a good younger player that fits in with their future plans.

Spurgeon and Brodin both have NMCs, too, so they'll have to be protected. If they were to have to protect Suter as well, they'd have had to leave Dumba unprotected (under the 7-3-1 option) or THREE other decent young forwards (under the 8-1 option). They probably figured they can take the cap hit over the next couple of years in order to keep their youth together before they start getting raises.

That's my guess at least. Everyone knew those contracts would be albatrosses in their final years. Best to pull the band-aid off quickly now and get it over with.

Whole bunch of specific info, too much to list actually, but I kinda focused in to these parts.
Tarasenko has given the Blues a list of at least 10 clubs to which he can be traded, and we think we know a majority of those: the Rangers, Islanders, Golden Knights, Bruins and Flyers we reported previously, and you can add the Lightning, Capitals and Panthers to that list.

Of those teams, two-time defending Stanley Cup champion Tampa Bay appears to be Tarasenko’s preference, but the Lightning are already well over the $81.5 million salary cap for the 2021-22 season, as colleague Pierre LeBrun wrote Wednesday.
The Capitals are also a possibility for Tarasenko, with the rumored one-for-one swap for Evgeny Kuznetsov being the Caps’ preferred choice. But in addition to Kuznetsov’s off-ice issues, the 29-year-old center is under contract for four more seasons (two more than Tarasenko) at a $7.8 million AAV ($300,000 more than Tarasenko).
This is where it gets interesting: The Blues have expressed interest in Calgary’s Matthew Tkachuk, a St. Louis native, according to sources. The Flames aren’t looking to trade Tkachuck this summer but might be forced to by next summer, when he’s a restricted free agent, if he doesn’t want to be with the organization long-term. The Flames have interest in Dunn and may need a player like him sooner than later if they lose Mark Giordano in the expansion draft.

A package of Tarasenko, Dunn and either a high draft pick or a top prospect could be enough to bring Tkachuk home, a source said. Tkachuk’s AAV is $7 million next season, which is the final year of his deal. If they didn’t have to retain salary in the deal, the Blues would actually be saving cap space, especially since Dunn’s salary would be going the other way.

However, as one may surmise, Calgary is not on Tarasenko’s list.

That’s not to say that a deal would get struck if he approved; only that the possibility exists.

Why not try to involve a 3rd team that IS on Tarasenko's approved list, w/ Stl & CGY?

Find a team that's on Tarasenko's list, like say Washington.
If they wanna do Kuznetsov-for-Tarasenko, maybe Calgary would be interested in Kuznetsov to add offense, so....

To Washington ‐ Tarasenko
To Calgary - Kuznetsov, Dunn, draft pick
To St. Louis ‐ Tkachuk

+/- draft picks or prospects as needed.

RAFritchey wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:18 pm
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:58 am Also, what do we think about the Blues going after Ryan Suter now that he’s bought out? He isn’t what he used to be but he’s still got miles left and is, at the very least, a consistent performer who can defend.
I'm assuming he's an absolute locker room cancer, so pass. Parise sucks and makes sense to buy out. Suter isn't a great value, but he's probably about a $5M player this past season. You don't buy that player out at that contract and kill your team for 2 seasons not far down the road unless something is majorly wrong.
They both had NMCs so they would have been required to be protected in the expansion draft. I don't think he was so much a locker room cancer, so much as they know he's not in their future plans and don't want to lose a good younger player that fits in with their future plans.

Spurgeon and Brodin both have NMCs, too, so they'll have to be protected. If they were to have to protect Suter as well, they'd have had to leave Dumba unprotected (under the 7-3-1 option) or THREE other decent young forwards (under the 8-1 option). They probably figured they can take the cap hit over the next couple of years in order to keep their youth together before they start getting raises.

That's my guess at least. Everyone knew those contracts would be albatrosses in their final years. Best to pull the band-aid off quickly now and get it over with.
Thing is, they're pulling the band-aid off alright, but the sting doesn't really come for another year, then 2 more years. Between Parise and Suter, they'll have just under 15 M in dead cap space for 2 seasons starting in fall 2023. 15! It's almost 13 in 2022!! Suter can still play!!! And don't think they can just send the dead space to Arizona like all the other problem contracts, because buyout cap space can't be traded.

Parise sucks so it makes sense. Suter is still very good. To me there are only 2 logical explanations.

1. They know Kaprisov is going back to Russia so they're blowing it up and starting over.
2. Suter is a cancer they needed to carve out at all costs.

My money is on number 2.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:28 pm

Thing is, they're pulling the band-aid off alright, but the sting doesn't really come for another year, then 2 more years. Between Parise and Suter, they'll have just under 15 M in dead cap space for 2 seasons starting in fall 2023. 15! It's almost 13 in 2022!! Suter can still play!!! And don't think they can just send the dead space to Arizona like all the other problem contracts, because buyout cap space can't be traded.

Parise sucks so it makes sense. Suter is still very good. To me there are only 2 logical explanations.

1. They know Kaprisov is going back to Russia so they're blowing it up and starting over.

My money is on number 2.
Everyone. I mean, literally everyone knew that at the time the contracts were signed and the Wild still did it. Good for the rest of the teams in the Central division, I guess.

BluesSK wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:43 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:28 pm

My money is on number 2.
Everyone. I mean, literally everyone knew that at the time the contracts were signed and the Wild still did it. Good for the rest of the teams in the Central division, I guess.
It's true, but everyone was signing those back then. You figure that they either go on LTIR the last few years if they're game has slipped, or you find a way to trade the player...even if he's not playing anymore, like Pronger's Coyote tenure. The fact that they chose to take the certainty of an untradable cap hit for Suter (again, Parise sucks so I get it), is the shocking part for me.

If they get Kaprisov back, they might be alright next season, but after that, you're right, one less Central team to worry about.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:53 am Ya'll are getting my hopes up for a BIG off-season
My hopes are high, but real expectations are that it'll be more of an Oshie trade. Middling pick and ok player. I'm also not expecting Landeskog just because that seems too good to be true. So many damn factors at play. The Blues probably aren't going to have Dunn around to trade next week anyway.

ratonmono wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:05 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:53 am Ya'll are getting my hopes up for a BIG off-season
I wouldn’t take much of what JR says seriously. A week ago he said the Blues would be lucky to get a 2nd rounder for Tarasenko and would have to retain salary to get that pick. 🙄
Oh, I don't take anything he says seriously. However, the other guy spoke on the potential package and damn it rat LET A MAN HAVE HOPE IN 2021
Just a Russian propaganda account

I wouldn’t take much of what JR says seriously. A week ago he said the Blues would be lucky to get a 2nd rounder for Tarasenko and would have to retain salary to get that pick. 🙄
That's for just Tarasenko. The package mentioned was Tarasenko+Dunn+High Pick/Prospect.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:06 am
Oh, I don't take anything he says seriously. However, the other guy spoke on the potential package and damn it rat LET A MAN HAVE HOPE IN 2021
Abandon all hope ye who post here.

Don’t worry it is gonna be a big off-season league wide. I mean just by default we need to fill like five forward spots at a minimum.

ratonmono wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:08 pm

Abandon all hope ye who post here.

Don’t worry it is gonna be a big off-season league wide. I mean just by default we need to fill like five forward spots at a minimum.
Leaguewide it's going to be a great offseason for fans. For Blues fans specifically it could be extremely exciting or very boring.

BluesSK wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:50 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:56 am

Vladi, pal, buddy, let’s talk
If he really wants out so badly his list should be 31 teams long.
Ain't no one trying to go to Buffalo
I mean, to be fair, BluesSK DID say "31 teams" as the Kracken are a team, meaning Vladdi could still leave Buffalo off the list :mrgreen:
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:36 pm
BluesSK wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:50 am

If he really wants out so badly his list should be 31 teams long.
Ain't no one trying to go to Buffalo
I mean, to be fair, BluesSK DID say "31 teams" as the Kracken are a team, meaning Vladdi could still leave Buffalo off the list :mrgreen:
Well...he wouldn't ask for a trade to the Blues.