Re: Blues Offseason Roster Moves/Speculation Thread

Turk Sanderson wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:40 am
Matangama wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:09 am Fuck, with all the whining about Krug, I thought I was reading the Asylum for a minute!
Fuck that shithole.... no-one is calling each other names, or threatening to burn anyone's house down.... just having a logical discussion about possible moves to improve the team.
Damn Turk, it was just a joke!

I’ll buy you a $10 beer at the home opener to make it up to you!

Turk Sanderson wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:53 pm Guys get typecast in roles and can't seem to get out of them.... Ian Laperrière was supposed to be the next big thing for the Blues, until Keenan turned him into a guided missile. We'll never know how good of a player he could have been, just what an average guy he turned out to be..... long career, but nothing like he was projected to be.
Ian Laperriere was so damn typecast that he played the role of toothless hockey guy in This is 40.

Quiet on the Tarasenko front. I don't expect to hear much until things are imminent. All the insiders have gone on vacation for the summer and the teams that are supposedly left in the running are generally pretty quiet about stuff to begin with. The three teams are:

Islanders- Lots of smoke to this one. Friedman said that he'd heard the Islanders have re-signed a bunch of guys but hasn't announced the deals yet because he doesn't want other teams to know how much cap space he has left for trade talks. He'd mentioned Tarasenko to the Isles as a possibility, so holding off on those announcements is a way to maintain leverage in talks with Armstrong about retaining some % of Tarasenko's salary. If you start seeing Palmierei, Pelech and possibly Beauvillier (who may or may not be part of the trade) agree to terms, it might mean a Tarasenko deal is imminent, has happened already, or the Isles are out.

Canes- Super analytically driven and loaded with cap space. Tarasenko has had great fancy stats whenever he's healthy, so if they trust his shoulder they make a lot of sense. No idea what the return would be here.

Devils- This one has been rumored but makes the least amount of sense to me. Sure they added Hamilton and their kids are improving, but does their winning timeline matchup with Tarasenko's contract? The other two teams are much closer to winning and you could see how a healthy Tarasenko could help put them over the top. I'm not so sure about the Devils.

So I don't know. Most talk has been about the Islanders, but who knows. All 3 have a fair amount of picks and lots of cap space. Question is how many teams view Tarasenko as an asset you actually pay for. Trades have been all over the place this year. The Hawks alone have given up tons of future assets for Seth Jones, who has been bad to terrible the last couple of years, but also got the reigning Vezina trophy winner basically for free. I just want this thing to end because waiting on big moves is boring.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:01 am Quiet on the Tarasenko front. I don't expect to hear much until things are imminent. All the insiders have gone on vacation for the summer and the teams that are supposedly left in the running are generally pretty quiet about stuff to begin with. The three teams are:

Islanders- Lots of smoke to this one. Friedman said that he'd heard the Islanders have re-signed a bunch of guys but hasn't announced the deals yet because he doesn't want other teams to know how much cap space he has left for trade talks. He'd mentioned Tarasenko to the Isles as a possibility, so holding off on those announcements is a way to maintain leverage in talks with Armstrong about retaining some % of Tarasenko's salary. If you start seeing Palmierei, Pelech and possibly Beauvillier (who may or may not be part of the trade) agree to terms, it might mean a Tarasenko deal is imminent, has happened already, or the Isles are out.

Canes- Super analytically driven and loaded with cap space. Tarasenko has had great fancy stats whenever he's healthy, so if they trust his shoulder they make a lot of sense. No idea what the return would be here.

Devils- This one has been rumored but makes the least amount of sense to me. Sure they added Hamilton and their kids are improving, but does their winning timeline matchup with Tarasenko's contract? The other two teams are much closer to winning and you could see how a healthy Tarasenko could help put them over the top. I'm not so sure about the Devils.

So I don't know. Most talk has been about the Islanders, but who knows. All 3 have a fair amount of picks and lots of cap space. Question is how many teams view Tarasenko as an asset you actually pay for. Trades have been all over the place this year. The Hawks alone have given up tons of future assets for Seth Jones, who has been bad to terrible the last couple of years, but also got the reigning Vezina trophy winner basically for free. I just want this thing to end because waiting on big moves is boring.
If he's traded at all, I expect that it will be something that no-one is predicting or anticipating. I think it would be more of a several player swap with a sleeper team.