Re: Blues Offseason Roster Moves/Speculation Thread

BillP. wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:41 pm You know what’s funny is, we all said getting the defense restructured was a must, but that’s on hold. Just shows you how much shit this team has to address. In Army we trust.
I don't think our D is that bad really; we just have had a lot of turnover on both forwards and Dmen the previous two seasons, plus so many distractions, and honestly Binnington hasn't been his best the last two years either. I think this group will surprise some folks this coming year.

Krug/Faulk
Scandella/Parayko
Mikkola-Walman/Bortz-Santini

Good mix of size and skill to be honest. They just need to gel together and get better support from Binnington and the forwards.

Outside of moving Tarasenko for something unremarkable (probably a 3rd or 4rth pick and a prospect), I don't see DA making too many more moves until he sees how THIS team performs. Got to give these 22-25 y/o 'kids' a chance to shine: especially Wallman, Mikkola, Thomas, Kyrou, and Kostin. And who knows if a prospect or camp walk-in shows up and surprises us, like Hoffman did last season.

Let's GO BLUES!!!
"Do Only Good Everyday"

RAFritchey wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:20 pm
BillP. wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:41 pm You know what’s funny is, we all said getting the defense restructured was a must, but that’s on hold. Just shows you how much shit this team has to address. In Army we trust.
I suspect that's what he's looking to do with any Tarasenko trade. It'd surely be easier to trade a scoring winger for defense, rather than for another scoring winger.
Trade Krug and keep Vova... Vova’s too hard to deal when you look at his salary for this year. He’ll be much easier to deal next year when his salary drops. If he gets happy again, he may retire here.

BillP. wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:57 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:33 pm
BillP. wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:37 pm

Cause, 4 years ago he was a lot younger. His numbers were better in Columbus than Chicago. We're not going to get his best. I'd rather the Blues go another route. Guess DA doesn't have much else on the burner.................we'll see
Bill, that's why we're paying him $1.5 million less than he was making 4 years ago. I don't understand why age matters for this one random down year for Saad, but not for Hoffman...who is 3 years older and much worse at hockey when he's not ripping a one timer. To each there own I suppose.
I don't know. Who did he play with in Colorado? Who were his linemates? I mean if it was Mack, then he's had some good linemates the past few years with Kane, etc........................he's okay, I just want to bitch.................I want some beef in the lineup...................I know Hoffman is paper but he can score the "wow" goal.............................if we get Tkachuk without giving up Thomas and Kyrou, then this team will suddenly look enticing again....................what's the chances Brady pulls the same thing in Ottawa?.................can you imagine?
Don't be Saad, Bill. It will all come together.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:24 pm
I suspect that's what he's looking to do with any Tarasenko trade. It'd surely be easier to trade a scoring winger for defense, rather than for another scoring winger.
Trade Krug and keep Vova... Vova’s too hard to deal when you look at his salary for this year. He’ll be much easier to deal next year when his salary drops. If he gets happy again, he may retire here.
Why trade Krug? He's gone through his adjustment phase and was really racking up the points by the end of the season. He's going to have a great year.

BluesSK wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:51 pm
Why trade Krug? He's gone through his adjustment phase and was really racking up the points by the end of the season. He's going to have a great year.
Simple... he makes too much money for what he brings to the table... we have players that can grow into that role for a fraction of the cost.
The Blues need payroll flexibility and a couple of hooners. Re-sign Bozie and lets rock and roll.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:25 pm

Simple... he makes too much money for what he brings to the table... we have players that can grow into that role for a fraction of the cost.
The Blues need payroll flexibility and a couple of hooners. Re-sign Bozie and lets rock and roll.
He was in the top twenty of Dman scoring at .63 ppg and plus eleven. There aren't a lot of dmen in the League with those kind of numbers. He's gonna have a great season.

BluesSK wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:31 pm

He was in the top twenty of Dman scoring at .63 ppg and plus eleven. There aren't a lot of dmen in the League with those kind of numbers. He's gonna have a great season.
2G+30A Regular Season .... 0G+2A Playoffs... @ 4Million...Next year ...@ 4Million... 22-23... @ 8Million ...23-24... @ 8.5Million...24-25.... @ 8.5Million...

I say this as not a Krug fan at all but we have absolutely no one that can play his minutes within right now.

Mikkola? Probably not
Walman? Nope.
Perunovich? Not even close, plus he's RD
Scandella as your top LD? Yikes.

We need Krug.

ratonmono wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:13 pm

I say this as not a Krug fan at all but we have absolutely no one that can play his minutes within right now.

Mikkola? Probably not
Walman? Nope.

We need Krug.
We need Krug...but GOD damn...I wish we didn't

CaptSMRT wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:19 pm

Mikkola? Probably not
Walman? Nope.

We need Krug.
I'm just not all bricked-up over the guy like some people are... especially at the money he makes, and is going to make in a couple of years. Boston let him walk for a reason.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:22 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:19 pm

Mikkola? Probably not
Walman? Nope.

We need Krug.
I'm just not all bricked-up over the guy like some people are... especially at the money he makes, and is going to make in a couple of years. Boston let him walk for a reason.

That hit on Thomas was the most hockey thing he ever did...

BluesSK wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:48 pm
BillP. wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:57 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:33 pm

Bill, that's why we're paying him $1.5 million less than he was making 4 years ago. I don't understand why age matters for this one random down year for Saad, but not for Hoffman...who is 3 years older and much worse at hockey when he's not ripping a one timer. To each there own I suppose.
I don't know. Who did he play with in Colorado? Who were his linemates? I mean if it was Mack, then he's had some good linemates the past few years with Kane, etc........................he's okay, I just want to bitch.................I want some beef in the lineup...................I know Hoffman is paper but he can score the "wow" goal.............................if we get Tkachuk without giving up Thomas and Kyrou, then this team will suddenly look enticing again....................what's the chances Brady pulls the same thing in Ottawa?.................can you imagine?
Don't be Saad, Bill. It will all come together.
Ha Ha that’s my line :lol:

BluesSK wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:31 pm

Yeah, for a subdue year, his numbers show how well he fought thru it and managed. Sign of a pro. He’ll breakout soon for us and really excel.

barnburner wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:35 pm What this defense needs more than anything else, is a healthy Parayako. If he's right, everybody else gets better.
This is so damn true. I get the Krug debate, but Parayko is really the key. Krug was pretty good once he got settled in. If Parayko is playing his shut down role well, things fall in to place a bit more. I think it'd be worthwhile to add another D if there's one available.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

I get that logic regarding Tarasenko being easier to trade when his actual salary drops from 9.5 to 5.5, but that assumes he A. Stays healthy B. Decides to actually play C. Resembles something like his old self if he does play.

I think that if he's still on the roster in October, he wouldn't sit out, but the other two factors are big risks. I think you could just as easily make the argument that his value will only be lower this time next year. You're certainly trading him for a lower return than you would've gotten say 2 years ago, but c'est la vie. I don't know what the return will look like, but I have to imagine if you don't trade him soon, you risk that the return will be 0 or even negative value.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:34 am
I get that logic regarding Tarasenko being easier to trade when his actual salary drops from 9.5 to 5.5, but that assumes he A. Stays healthy B. Decides to actually play C. Resembles something like his old self if he does play.

I think that if he's still on the roster in October, he wouldn't sit out, but the other two factors are big risks. I think you could just as easily make the argument that his value will only be lower this time next year. You're certainly trading him for a lower return than you would've gotten say 2 years ago, but c'est la vie. I don't know what the return will look like, but I have to imagine if you don't trade him soon, you risk that the return will be 0 or even negative value.
Agreed. Not to mention the possible effect of his possible discontent might have on this years team. Teams have a certain amount of questions about Tarasenko now - health, attitude, etc. Without a complete turnaround, his trade value next year might be almost 4th line level. I think Army will dump him by the trade deadline.