Re: Tarasenko for Tkachuk

Rivermanfan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:43 am
Rivermanfan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:42 am There was an interesting article on TheHockeyWriters.com regarding this. The other two points they listed are pretty obvious, but I wasn't aware of this particular contract situation. Might be a factor, might not, but an interesting wrinkle. Here's the part about that, but it is a good read in general.

The third reason, which may ultimately be the biggest, is Tkachuk’s contract situation. Essentially, he and his agent have put the Flames in an extremely vulnerable situation. This season, he will earn a $7 million average annual value on the final season of a three-year contract he signed in 2019. But the structure of the deal is such that Tkachuk will make $9 million in base salary this season.

The NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) mandates that a team offers any restricted free agent a qualifying offer equal to 100% of his base salary from the season prior in order to prevent him from becoming an unrestricted free agent (UFA). So, at bare minimum, the Flames will have to offer Tkachuk $9 million on a one-year contract after the 2022-23 season in order to keep him around. But there’s one final hurdle for the Flames: Tkachuk will have finished seven years of NHL service time after the 2022-23 season, which will allow him to become a UFA. So he could in theory sign the qualifying offer, play one final season in Alberta, and then go wherever he wants as a UFA. Essentially, he has all the power in negotiation. And if he doesn’t see his long-term home being in Calgary, then Treliving may want to trade him sooner than later.

https://thehockeywriters.com/blues-have ... rade-work/
Yeah, it sounds like Doug would have the inside track on a trade if Matt has his eyes set on St. Louis in free agency. If he's not interested in negotiating with Flames then Calgary might have no other option but to talk to St. Louis. Better to get something than nothing.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:34 am
Robb_K wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:06 am
Ozzies09tc wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:19 pm Tank/Dunn/Thomas for tkachuk is what i heard
Same for me. The rumour had Tarasenko and Dunn, plus either Thomas or Kyrou. Either way, it's too much to give up for just Tkachuk.
If you add Kyrou it is but for Thomas who seems to be regressing, Dunn who has been on the trading block forever and Tarasenko who while still a good player is a glorified salary dump, is it really too much to give up?
The Blues would be losing two solid Top 6 forwards, and getting only one back. Also, - giving up Thomas, would deplete their high-potential young forwards down to only Kyrou. I still feel that Thomas' game will click in either this coming season, or next, and that will have been worth waiting for. He should become a super goal set-up machine for the two wingers on his line. In any case, this discussion is moot, because The Flames are not going to trade one player they need to protect for 3 players they'll need to protect in The Expansion draft.

CaptSMRT wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:29 pm Keith Tkachuk was paid over $80 million in salary for the Blues and scored a grand total of eight playoff goals. His retirement was the first step in the right direction for this franchise. I'm not really excited about any version of that coming back.
Blues were a complete shit team after 2003, so really Tkachuk only had 2001-2003 playoff runs to make an impact. In that three year run he had 23 points in 32 games. Not too bad for the dead puck era. It's not Tkachuk's fault the Lauries went cheap and got disinterested after it was clear they couldn't lure an NBA team here. I'll take Matthew on the team any day.

ratonmono wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:34 am
CaptSMRT wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:29 pm Keith Tkachuk was paid over $80 million in salary for the Blues and scored a grand total of eight playoff goals. His retirement was the first step in the right direction for this franchise. I'm not really excited about any version of that coming back.
Blues were a complete shit team after 2003, so really Tkachuk only had 2001-2003 playoff runs to make an impact. In that three year run he had 23 points in 32 games. Not too bad for the dead puck era. It's not Tkachuk's fault the Lauries went cheap and got disinterested after it was clear they couldn't lure an NBA team here. I'll take Matthew on the team any day.
He only played five season with the Blues, but it seemed longer. Forty one games...twenty five points...for the highest paid guy on the team. That doesn't cut the mustard. I don't care if Dick Thomas was a dumb ass. His career with Phoenix wasn't much better...44 games...28 points...and those were his prime years. Totally overrated...please never bring any of that back....maybe Brady.
In 2001 the Blues had a decent team...Big Wallet scored a grand total of 2 goals in 15 games.
in 2002 he had ten points in ten games...5g...5a...three of those goals were in one game.

CaptSMRT wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:09 am
He only played five season with the Blues, but it seemed longer. Forty one games...twenty five points...for the highest paid guy on the team. That doesn't cut the mustard. I don't care if Dick Thomas was a dumb ass. His career with Phoenix wasn't much better...44 games...28 points...and those were his prime years. Totally overrated...please never bring any of that back....maybe Brady.
In 2001 the Blues had a decent team...Big Wallet scored a grand total of 2 goals in 15 games.
in 2002 he had ten points in ten games...5g...5a...three of those goals were in one game.
Matt Tkachuk could be a great player, if he'd just play hockey instead of doing all the extra curricular bullshit. You can pay someone $800k/yr to do that.

I remember Jeff Gordon said it was practically a done deal that the Grizzlies were coming here but then Laurie messed up or something. Can't remember what it was. Then I just googled to see what I could find and I didn't know that Laurie had tentatively purchased the Grizzlies after a failed attempt to get the Nuggets here. Damn.......................

When Commissioner David Stern awarded Vancouver a National Basketball Association franchise, the hope was that the sport would catch fire in Canada and spark more global interest in the game.

But Stern's plans may have been dealt a blow today when, less than five years after their birth, the Vancouver Grizzlies were sold to the St. Louis Blues' hockey team owners, Bill and Nancy Laurie. The couple bought the Grizzlies from Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment for nearly $200 million, a league official confirmed, almost $75 million more than the group paid for the franchise in 1994.

The Lauries' desire for an N.B.A. team in St. Louis -- coupled with their refusal to guarantee that the team will remain in Vancouver -- forced Stern to address the possibility of an N.B.A. team's relocating for the first time in 15 years.

''It's not unprecedented for N.B.A. teams to move,'' Stern said today hours after arriving for league meetings. ''On the other hand, when you place a franchise someplace you ask the fans to make a certain commitment to the team. And it's not inappropriate for the fans and the cities to expect the league to have some commitment to them.''

Under league rules, the Grizzlies must to stay in Vancouver for five years after their founding, so the team cannot be moved to a new city until after the coming season. The sale still needs league approval, which could come as early as Oct. 29 at the Board of Governors meeting.

Another hurdle in relocating the Grizzlies is a March 1 deadline for teams seeking to move. Under the expansion agreement, Vancouver cannot apply until after next season.

''If they can't even apply until May 15, the earliest they could hope to move would be two years from now,'' Russ Granik, the deputy commissioner, said. ''All those things are always subject, by an overwhelming majority of owners, to change. But the way the agreement is written, in effect, they can't apply to move for any season before 2001-2.''

Bill Laurie, a former Memphis State point guard, made an unsuccessful attempt with his wife earlier this year to buy the Denver Nuggets in an effort to move a franchise to St. Louis. Nancy Laurie is a daughter of the late James L. Walton, who co-founded the Wal-Mart store chain with his brother, Sam.

The Lauries agreed in April to buy the Colorado Avalanche of the National Hockey League, the Nuggets and Denver's new Pepsi Center for $400 million. But they lost out when a rival group, given a second chance to bid, offered $461 million.

Bill Laurie said at a news conference announcing the purchase that they had made no decision about whether to move the Grizzlies. ''Our main concern is getting approval of the Board of Governors,'' he said.

A three-quarters majority of the league's 29 owners, or 22 votes, is needed to approve a sale. A majority, or 15 votes, is needed to approve a relocation.

Stern said that he had been aware of the Lauries' desire to become N.B.A. owners the last few months and that the league's lawyers had been in close contact with both parties. The N.B.A.'s involvement only furthers speculation that Vancouver may eventually lose the Grizzlies, who were a disaster on the floor the last four seasons and began to take a financial toll on their principal owner, John McCaw.

While the Toronto Raptors have gradually improved and recently moved into a new arena, the Grizzlies have foundered. McCaw is reported to have suffered losses of about $20 million this season alone. Vancouver has never won more than 19 games in a season and finished with a league-worst 8-42 record in this past lockout-shortened season.

The most recent disappointment came over the summer when Steve Francis, the Maryland junior guard whom the Grizzlies chose second in the June draft, refused to negotiate with the team and eventually forced Vancouver to trade him to Houston.

Though Stern often said that the league wanted the team to remain in Vancouver, he also made it clear that the owners will have final say.

BillP. wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:34 pm

I remember Jeff Gordon said it was practically a done deal that the Grizzlies were coming here but then Laurie messed up or something. Can't remember what it was. Then I just googled to see what I could find and I didn't know that Laurie had tentatively purchased the Grizzlies after a failed attempt to get the Nuggets here. Damn.......................

When Commissioner David Stern awarded Vancouver a National Basketball Association franchise, the hope was that the sport would catch fire in Canada and spark more global interest in the game.

But Stern's plans may have been dealt a blow today when, less than five years after their birth, the Vancouver Grizzlies were sold to the St. Louis Blues' hockey team owners, Bill and Nancy Laurie. The couple bought the Grizzlies from Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment for nearly $200 million, a league official confirmed, almost $75 million more than the group paid for the franchise in 1994.

The Lauries' desire for an N.B.A. team in St. Louis -- coupled with their refusal to guarantee that the team will remain in Vancouver -- forced Stern to address the possibility of an N.B.A. team's relocating for the first time in 15 years.

''It's not unprecedented for N.B.A. teams to move,'' Stern said today hours after arriving for league meetings. ''On the other hand, when you place a franchise someplace you ask the fans to make a certain commitment to the team. And it's not inappropriate for the fans and the cities to expect the league to have some commitment to them.''

Under league rules, the Grizzlies must to stay in Vancouver for five years after their founding, so the team cannot be moved to a new city until after the coming season. The sale still needs league approval, which could come as early as Oct. 29 at the Board of Governors meeting.

Another hurdle in relocating the Grizzlies is a March 1 deadline for teams seeking to move. Under the expansion agreement, Vancouver cannot apply until after next season.

''If they can't even apply until May 15, the earliest they could hope to move would be two years from now,'' Russ Granik, the deputy commissioner, said. ''All those things are always subject, by an overwhelming majority of owners, to change. But the way the agreement is written, in effect, they can't apply to move for any season before 2001-2.''

Bill Laurie, a former Memphis State point guard, made an unsuccessful attempt with his wife earlier this year to buy the Denver Nuggets in an effort to move a franchise to St. Louis. Nancy Laurie is a daughter of the late James L. Walton, who co-founded the Wal-Mart store chain with his brother, Sam.

The Lauries agreed in April to buy the Colorado Avalanche of the National Hockey League, the Nuggets and Denver's new Pepsi Center for $400 million. But they lost out when a rival group, given a second chance to bid, offered $461 million.

Bill Laurie said at a news conference announcing the purchase that they had made no decision about whether to move the Grizzlies. ''Our main concern is getting approval of the Board of Governors,'' he said.

A three-quarters majority of the league's 29 owners, or 22 votes, is needed to approve a sale. A majority, or 15 votes, is needed to approve a relocation.

Stern said that he had been aware of the Lauries' desire to become N.B.A. owners the last few months and that the league's lawyers had been in close contact with both parties. The N.B.A.'s involvement only furthers speculation that Vancouver may eventually lose the Grizzlies, who were a disaster on the floor the last four seasons and began to take a financial toll on their principal owner, John McCaw.

While the Toronto Raptors have gradually improved and recently moved into a new arena, the Grizzlies have foundered. McCaw is reported to have suffered losses of about $20 million this season alone. Vancouver has never won more than 19 games in a season and finished with a league-worst 8-42 record in this past lockout-shortened season.

The most recent disappointment came over the summer when Steve Francis, the Maryland junior guard whom the Grizzlies chose second in the June draft, refused to negotiate with the team and eventually forced Vancouver to trade him to Houston.

Though Stern often said that the league wanted the team to remain in Vancouver, he also made it clear that the owners will have final say.
The NBA dodged a bullet...the Lauries are the worst kind of found money rich there ever was.

I would take the 23-year-old version of Keith Tkachuk: https://www.hockey-reference.com/player ... hke01.html. So, hold old is Matthew right now?

insideout wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:04 am
I would take the 23-year-old version of Keith Tkachuk: https://www.hockey-reference.com/player ... hke01.html. So, hold old is Matthew right now?
YOu would take the guy who held out on his team and then never really produced for them?

Re: Tarasenko for Tkachuk?

Probably not going to happen, but the Blues desperately need someone like Tkachuck who can go to the net, and make things difficult for the opposing goalie. I thought at the time that letting Maroon go was a mistake, and it's pretty clear now that it was. We have too many perimeter players on this roster.

CaptSMRT wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:10 am
insideout wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:04 am
YOu would take the guy who held out on his team and then never really produced for them?
I'm not sure what you mean, but I'm saying I would take a guy who's next four seasons look like this:
50-48-98
52-34-86
40-26-66
36-32-68
Seems productive to me.

Re: Tarasenko for Tkachuk?

”I have never played with a captain who take care of people like Tkachuk did. He looked after his teammates, trainers, equipment guys, clubhouse attendants and anyone else who made his life better.
He always carried a wad of cash, and he dispensed tips more freely than any man I’ve met. For example, he would ask the visiting clubhouse attendant to place a cold case of beer on the back of the bus. Once the attendant accomplished that task, Tkachuk would hand him a hundred-dollar bill.
There is no question that Tkachuk was the most caring teammate that I’ve ever known. When we were on the road, Tkachuk would meet people down on their luck, and he would check on their well-being when he came to town. In Alberta, Keith knew an old-time hockey guy named Red. When Tkachuk was in town, Red knew he had a job as our dressing-room attendant.
(Former) Toronto Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle introduced Big Walt to Red when Carlyle and Tkachuk played together in Winnipeg. Carlyle took care of Red back then, and Carlyle made Tkachuk promise he would take care of Red after Carlyle retired.
Frankly, Red was a mess, but one time Tkachuk took him on the team charter from Edmonton to Calgary. Tkachuk would park Red in the front of our dressing room door and would tell everyone he would look after our stuff. After the game, he would ask every player for twenty dollars, and then he would kick in a couple of hundred of dollars and give Red the entire wad of cash.”
– Jeremy Roenick.
Source: ”J.R. My life as the most outspoken, fearless, and hard-hitting man in hockey”

He can't even get praise from the right people