Tarasenko for Tkachuk?

That was the rumor mentioned on the Steve Kouleas show around 4:40pm tonight. Steve had an former NHL player cohosting with him and I don't know who it was but he said the word on the street and he's heard it quite a bit is Vladi plus for Tkachuk. He also said he was "breaking the rumor"...lol. Anyway when i get a chance i'll listen to the replay and see who it was. If anybody was listening and can name him please do so.
Last edited by T.C. on Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed subject for clarity
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Re: Tarasenko for Tkachuk

BluesSK wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:28 pm Sounds like wishful thinking.

He's gonna sign here as a FA in a couple of years anyways.
If he gets to free agency. Don’t you think Calgary would lock him up?

Dunn and Thomas included sounds right but even that isn’t enough. Crazy talk.

BillP. wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:37 am
BluesSK wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:28 pm Sounds like wishful thinking.

He's gonna sign here as a FA in a couple of years anyways.
If he gets to free agency. Don’t you think Calgary would lock him up?

Dunn and Thomas included sounds right but even that isn’t enough. Crazy talk.
Maybe he doesn't want to re-sign when he hits FA. He does have a choice, unless they actually lock him up

Can you imagine how annoyed the opposition would be in a playoff series going up against a Tkachuk-Schenn-Perron line? I don't think that'd be the likely grouping in reality, but it's definitely the most annoying group of top 6 players to deal with.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:32 am
BillP. wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:30 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:23 am Which Tkachuk?
I think we all assumed Matt. Egg on my face if it isn't.
I may even trade him for Keith.

I'm not sure why either Calgary or Ottawa would. I feel like if either way available, they could do better on the return.
Ottawa won't. Calgary shouldn't, but might. They want to shake up their core, and it sounds like Tkachuk might want out. The Tarasenko+ deal largely depends on what the + is. I have a feeling it'd be somewhat significant. Tkachuck doesn't have any no trade protection, so unless he's threatening to sit, I'm not dealing him unless you blow my socks off. If you want to shake up that Calgary core, I'd start with Monahan, and see what I could get for a 37 year old Giordano. I'm sure teams are asking about Gaudreau one year before he hits UFA, but will the price be that high if he's looking to test free agency?

Robb_K wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:06 am
Ozzies09tc wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:19 pm Tank/Dunn/Thomas for tkachuk is what i heard
Same for me. The rumour had Tarasenko and Dunn, plus either Thomas or Kyrou. Either way, it's too much to give up for just Tkachuk.
If you add Kyrou it is but for Thomas who seems to be regressing, Dunn who has been on the trading block forever and Tarasenko who while still a good player is a glorified salary dump, is it really too much to give up?

BluesSK wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:34 am
Robb_K wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:06 am
Ozzies09tc wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:19 pm Tank/Dunn/Thomas for tkachuk is what i heard
Same for me. The rumour had Tarasenko and Dunn, plus either Thomas or Kyrou. Either way, it's too much to give up for just Tkachuk.
If you add Kyrou it is but for Thomas who seems to be regressing, Dunn who has been on the trading block forever and Tarasenko who while still a good player is a glorified salary dump, is it really too much to give up?
So Tarasenko and Dunn are pretty easy to give up in this scenario. Still valuable to Calgary based on Tarasenko's pre-injury track record and Dunn's upside and skillset that are made for the modern game. That third piece is crucial though, and depending on the timing, you have to figure out how it impacts Calgary's expansion draft list. Tarasenko and Tkachuk take each others protected spot, but if you add a Thomas/Kyrou to the roster, that eats up another F you need to protect, exposing one more. Dunn would obviously need to be protected too if Calgary is acquiring him. To me, that means the Tarasenko/Dunn/Kyrou or Thomas deal is BS because it'd end up costing Calgary another solid player at the expansion draft. The only way it works is if they wait until after the expansion draft and Armstrong makes a side deal with Seattle so that they don't take Dunn, and again, I don't see him adding ANOTHER piece to the acquisition cost of Tkachuk if those are the pieces in an already expensive deal.

Now if you're talking Tarasenko/Dunn and a pick or prospect, I think that has a better chance of working. If Calgary isn't locked into Dunn being a part of it, you can just wait until after the expansion draft and see which pieces are still on the board, but acquiring 3 pieces that you must protect seems unlikely to me if you're Calgary.

There was an interesting article on TheHockeyWriters.com regarding this. The other two points they listed are pretty obvious, but I wasn't aware of this particular contract situation. Might be a factor, might not, but an interesting wrinkle. Here's the part about that, but it is a good read in general.

The third reason, which may ultimately be the biggest, is Tkachuk’s contract situation. Essentially, he and his agent have put the Flames in an extremely vulnerable situation. This season, he will earn a $7 million average annual value on the final season of a three-year contract he signed in 2019. But the structure of the deal is such that Tkachuk will make $9 million in base salary this season.

The NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) mandates that a team offers any restricted free agent a qualifying offer equal to 100% of his base salary from the season prior in order to prevent him from becoming an unrestricted free agent (UFA). So, at bare minimum, the Flames will have to offer Tkachuk $9 million on a one-year contract after the 2022-23 season in order to keep him around. But there’s one final hurdle for the Flames: Tkachuk will have finished seven years of NHL service time after the 2022-23 season, which will allow him to become a UFA. So he could in theory sign the qualifying offer, play one final season in Alberta, and then go wherever he wants as a UFA. Essentially, he has all the power in negotiation. And if he doesn’t see his long-term home being in Calgary, then Treliving may want to trade him sooner than later.

https://thehockeywriters.com/blues-have ... rade-work/

Rivermanfan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:42 am There was an interesting article on TheHockeyWriters.com regarding this. The other two points they listed are pretty obvious, but I wasn't aware of this particular contract situation. Might be a factor, might not, but an interesting wrinkle. Here's the part about that, but it is a good read in general.

The third reason, which may ultimately be the biggest, is Tkachuk’s contract situation. Essentially, he and his agent have put the Flames in an extremely vulnerable situation. This season, he will earn a $7 million average annual value on the final season of a three-year contract he signed in 2019. But the structure of the deal is such that Tkachuk will make $9 million in base salary this season.

The NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) mandates that a team offers any restricted free agent a qualifying offer equal to 100% of his base salary from the season prior in order to prevent him from becoming an unrestricted free agent (UFA). So, at bare minimum, the Flames will have to offer Tkachuk $9 million on a one-year contract after the 2022-23 season in order to keep him around. But there’s one final hurdle for the Flames: Tkachuk will have finished seven years of NHL service time after the 2022-23 season, which will allow him to become a UFA. So he could in theory sign the qualifying offer, play one final season in Alberta, and then go wherever he wants as a UFA. Essentially, he has all the power in negotiation. And if he doesn’t see his long-term home being in Calgary, then Treliving may want to trade him sooner than later.

Rivermanfan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:42 am There was an interesting article on TheHockeyWriters.com regarding this. The other two points they listed are pretty obvious, but I wasn't aware of this particular contract situation. Might be a factor, might not, but an interesting wrinkle. Here's the part about that, but it is a good read in general.

That is an outstanding point. That is also one of those reasons why all of the players that represent themselves instead of hiring an agent are idiots.