Re: GDT: Game 1: St. Louis Blues @ Colorado- 9:00 5/17 - TV:NBCSN

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:41 am
BillP. wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:45 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:38 am

The difference is that 2019 team had been crushing opponents at 5 on 5 for 4 months by the time the playoffs rolled around. Binnington was obviously a huge piece of the puzzle that January, but they were carrying play regardless of not they were getting the saves a couple weeks after canning Yeo. Eyeballs and fancy stats bore that out. That has not been the case this year. The resurgence late this season was fueled by the power play perking up and Binnington playing great for the last 6 weeks or so.

If the Blues are going to win this series, it's not going to look anything like any of the 2019 series, it's going to have to look like Habs-Caps in 2010. One team absolutely steamrolling the other, but a goalie stands on his head 4 times while his team happens to capitalize on every scoring chance they get.
You can't let one game convince you this will be the way it is all series. Have some faith will ya :)

When you win, you always look good. When you lose, you always look bad. That'll never change.

Let's see if the boys can win before we write them off.
I'm not sure it's a lack of faith more than just realizing who these two teams have been all season. There's a reason the Blues were the longest odds to win a playoff series in the last decade. And that was before Perron became unavailable.

I'm honestly not sure what the Blues need to do to catch the Avs roster wise.
If Blues win tomorrow night, they'll win series IMO.

If they lose tomorrow, they'll be out in 4 or 5.

It's all about momentum. Blues just need to find it. Shit can change fast. We've seen it before during our days as hockey fans.

CaptSMRT wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:21 am
T.C. wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:14 am
BluesSK wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:56 am

Definitely this.
Thirded. Also, I fucking hate Pierre so much. i only got to see the 2nd but man does he suck. i had blissfully forgotten.
I don't see that kind of grit on this team, and the non-existent transition game from the defense ain't helping anyone.
Agreed.
This is a vastly different team from the Cup team, in all areas, other than #50's goaltending. With 55 still not back to form, we do not have a shut down dman. Nor do we have the same grit and discipline up front to bottle up a team like the Avs.
50 shots on Binnington? Can't count on him being Hasek every night. Either find a way to slow these bastards down, or make golf reservations.

insideout wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:54 pm For any playoff series in which your team is the underdog, you can chart a path to victory with a list of things that would need to happen. In this particular series, the list if VERY long. The Blues came out playing very well last night. The Avs weathered the storm and gradually took over, which is exactly how the Blues won a lot of their postseason games in '19.
The Blues were the better team last night until the precise moment I posted a comment saying how well they were playing, haha.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:27 pm
insideout wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:54 pm For any playoff series in which your team is the underdog, you can chart a path to victory with a list of things that would need to happen. In this particular series, the list if VERY long. The Blues came out playing very well last night. The Avs weathered the storm and gradually took over, which is exactly how the Blues won a lot of their postseason games in '19.
The Blues were the better team last night until the precise moment I posted a comment saying how well they were playing, haha.
I knew it was you!!! Your DNA has been altered by the China drizzle!!! You are the Manchurian Dave!!!!

CaptSMRT wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:43 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:27 pm
I knew it was you!!! Your DNA has been altered by the China drizzle!!! You are the Manchurian Dave!!!!
To be fair, I didn't have much of a brain to wash in the first place.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!