Re: 2021 Playoff Thread

ratonmono wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:31 am Vegas isn’t going to win shit with that group of centers.
You can win with a few holes but what they have up the middle is too weak.
Worst team in Vegas since they been in league. The trend could continue. Though it is at the top of the list for free agents but i have no idea how their cap is to get a couple big fish.

BillP. wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:17 am
ratonmono wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:31 am Vegas isn’t going to win shit with that group of centers.
Worst team in Vegas since they been in league. The trend could continue. Though it is at the top of the list for free agents but i have no idea how their cap is to get a couple big fish.
Their ownership/management is aggressive. They know they have a window open so they will be all in on whatever top centers are available. Getting that done is quite another thing though. Army looked for centers for years before finally landing the right ones in Schenn and Oreilly (Bozak too). Though that Suzuki trade for Patches looks real bad for them right now!

ratonmono wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:22 am
Their ownership/management is aggressive. They know they have a window open so they will be all in on whatever top centers are available. Getting that done is quite another thing though. Army looked for centers for years before finally landing the right ones in Schenn and Oreilly (Bozak too). Though that Suzuki trade for Patches looks real bad for them right now!
Pacioretty has been outstanding for them though. That deal might hurt them long term, but I think it fits their window better. The thing that's interesting about Vegas is how ruthless they are about getting the players they want. In order to make room for Petro they had to get rid of Nate Schmidt, who was one of the key expansion draft picks, beloved by fans and teammates, and a pretty darn good player. But Petro was a clear upgrade objectively, so see ya. I really wonder who they ditch if they decide they need a top line center this summer.

I think they've got one more year of being an obvious Cup contender before their core starts to lose a step at the exact same time. Of their key contributors, only Theodore and Tuch are young enough that I'm totally confident their games won't have slipped a bit 3 years from now.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:50 am

Pacioretty has been outstanding for them though. That deal might hurt them long term, but I think it fits their window better. The thing that's interesting about Vegas is how ruthless they are about getting the players they want. In order to make room for Petro they had to get rid of Nate Schmidt, who was one of the key expansion draft picks, beloved by fans and teammates, and a pretty darn good player. But Petro was a clear upgrade objectively, so see ya. I really wonder who they ditch if they decide they need a top line center this summer.

I think they've got one more year of being an obvious Cup contender before their core starts to lose a step at the exact same time. Of their key contributors, only Theodore and Tuch are young enough that I'm totally confident their games won't have slipped a bit 3 years from now.
Yeah Patches was fine but they need Suzuki and his skill set more. I thought that was a horrible deal when they made it but I’ve never liked Patches much.

They don’t have much wiggle room to add a center. I’m sure they’ll be in as much as they can be on Eichel but they likely don’t have the room or pieces to get that done.

ratonmono wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:03 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:50 am

Yeah Patches was fine but they need Suzuki and his skill set more. I thought that was a horrible deal when they made it but I’ve never liked Patches much.

They don’t have much wiggle room to add a center. I’m sure they’ll be in as much as they can be on Eichel but they likely don’t have the room or pieces to get that done.
Patches sounds like a rescue animal you get from the dog pound.

If he gets too excited he dances around and pees on the carpet.

This feels like a Final that is going to get nasty. Lightning obviously know what it takes, and are bigger pricks out there than you think. Meanwhile the Habs have some good youngsters, but a lot of old guys for whom in all likelihood this will be their last or only shot at a Cup. Shea Weber will rip someone's head off if he has to, quite possibly literally. Gallagher will have it dialed up to 11. Tons of skill out there on both sides too. Should be fun, let's fucking go!

If Gallagher makes the mistake of being the annoying gnat buzzing around Weber like he did with Pietrangelo, he is likely to regret it. And that's not a slam on Gallagher, I liked the way he was constantly aggravating AP. It was entertaining.

Aesa wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:54 am If Gallagher makes the mistake of being the annoying gnat buzzing around Weber like he did with Pietrangelo, he is likely to regret it. And that's not a slam on Gallagher, I liked the way he was constantly aggravating AP. It was entertaining.
Don't know why he'd be annoying his teammate ;)

Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:26 pm
Aesa wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:54 am If Gallagher makes the mistake of being the annoying gnat buzzing around Weber like he did with Pietrangelo, he is likely to regret it. And that's not a slam on Gallagher, I liked the way he was constantly aggravating AP. It was entertaining.
It's a bold strategy, Cotton.

BluesSK wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:31 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:26 pm
It's a bold strategy, Cotton.
Mea Culpa guys. I meant to type Hedman not Weber. I usually proof read. Got in a bit of a hurry on this one..

BillP. wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:24 pm Wonder if Shattenkirk has 2nd thoughts? Dude turned down a 3 yr offer from Bolts. I know he got a few extra bucks in CA, but to me, there’s just something about winning.
He might. But something tells me Shatty is the kind of guy that is happy with winning one and adding a significant amount to the retirement fund. Not judging that decision, I'd grab the money too, especially after already winning a cup. Just look at our guys, after the cup win there's been turnover and injuries that hurt us but also that fire to win it all just isn't there, though I'm sure the pandemic weirdness of the last two years didn't help.

ratonmono wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:31 pm
BillP. wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:24 pm Wonder if Shattenkirk has 2nd thoughts? Dude turned down a 3 yr offer from Bolts. I know he got a few extra bucks in CA, but to me, there’s just something about winning.
He might. But something tells me Shatty is the kind of guy that is happy with winning one and adding a significant amount to the retirement fund. Not judging that decision, I'd grab the money too, especially after already winning a cup. Just look at our guys, after the cup win there's been turnover and injuries that hurt us but also that fire to win it all just isn't there, though I'm sure the pandemic weirdness of the last two years didn't help.
Shattenkirk has always cared about his role too. That's what led to his departure from the Blues. He's got a much bigger role with the Ducks than he did in Tampa.